New to ebikes and Cycling

Vivien

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2018
Hi folks! Im new to ebikes and cycling generally though I have had an ordinary bike for years and pottered about on it around where I live. Which is why I've gone electric because I live in the South Pennines, half way up the longest gradient in England.
But I could do with a spot of advice . To be honest Ive not done much cycling and I feel a little bit intimidated by my new ebike which is a marvellous machine with a will of its own. Am I better to practise a bit on my ordinary bike first or just go for gold and ride nothing but my ebike? Maybe this is a strange question as Im guessing most of you pedalled around a fair bit before investing in your ebike.

Reactions: LeighPing

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Been on two wheels since I was four, so I've been cycling 50 years. Got my first e-bike two years ago and haven't looked back. Go for gold I say.

Gaz

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I love Cragg Vale, was looking up the valley from Heights Road on Sunday evening.

What's the bike?

Forgot to add that I met a man on a bike the other day who hadn't ridden a bike for 70 years! returning to cycling aged 86, and it was pedal powered only/

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and TZC

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
I would imagine there's a few levels of power, though I do not know what bike you have

Just set it onto the lowest it can go, best of both worlds :D

Reactions: LeighPing

Vivien

Jul 9, 2018
I love Cragg Vale, was looking up the valley from Heights Road on Sunday evening.

What's the bike?

Forgot to add that I met a man on a bike the other day who hadn't ridden a bike for 70 years! returning to cycling aged 86, and it was pedal powered only/

Vivien

Jul 9, 2018
Thanks for all this encouragement! My bike is a Volt Pulse with 5 power settings and 8 gears. Ive ridden it up to the third setting and fourth gear but keep it on the lowest setting I can so that I get to do a bit of work. Its a great feeling knowing that I'll get up the hill! Makes it all worth while.
I'm well pleased with the bike.

Vivien

Jul 9, 2018
Forgot to mention, apart from usual reasons of wanting more exercise and being able to get out in the fresh air rather than driving, where I live we are facing another 2 years of flood relief work affecting the local main road. This means interminable sets of 2 way and 3 way traffic lights and long queùes to drive anywhere. But I can cover a more pleasant route on the canal towpath or on a separate cycle track along to Hebden Bridge in one direction and Sowerby Bridge in the other, on my bike, and arrive without steam coming out of my ears!

Reactions: Artstu and chris_n