New to ebikes

Apprentice

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2017
Ireland
Hello all

Just a quick hello and a thank you to everyone for there contributions on the forum ive been reading threads here for about 6 months
I taught i better sign up as im getting more serious about buying a kit or a bike in the next few weeks

Ive almost settled on a bosch powered cube or ktm mtb

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Welcome and test ride* lots

Apprentice

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2017
Ireland
Cheers i have tested a few, i liked the feel of the bosch its kind of seemless
I havent tested a bbsshd and wont be able to before i buy
But i think the bosch with a few mods will suit me and my commute

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello Apprentice:)

Don't think you can go far wrong with Bosch, but as D8ve said, test rides are all important. Some of the bikes I thought I'd love turned out to not be for me, and similarly ones I 'thought' were a bit staid, were actually very impressive and nice to ride.

Gaz

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
That's the torque sensor the bbh,s are crude in comparison. But the arguments about it can be a bit like an automatic vs manual car. It's personal preference.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
If it's the "seamless" feel you appreciate most then don't discount a torque sensor with a hub motor. These bikes are often lighter, quieter and cost less.

Apprentice

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2017
Ireland
Ive been reading the pros of mid drives and thats all i really have to go by

My commute is 7.5 miles all up hill on the way to work
I basically live at the foot of a mountain and work at the top theres a few flats along the way but 80% is uphill

having had surgery in 2016 i had to give up football ect.....
And find my fitness rapidly declined but i have no chance of cycling to work on pedal power alone even at my fittest i couldnt have done it .
With 2 kids under 10 i cant seem to find the time to excercise hence the reason for ebiking to work
A litttle bit of fitness with a little bit of help
I think with the bbshd i would be inclined/tempted to use the trottle more than i should.
And the hub drives just from reading about them would probably be too much strain over time and create more drag for the freewheel on the way home

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Ive been reading the pros of mid drives and thats all i really have to go by

My commute is 7.5 miles all up hill on the way to work
I basically live at the foot of a mountain and work at the top theres a few flats along the way but 80% is uphill

having had surgery in 2016 i had to give up football ect.....
And find my fitness rapidly declined but i have no chance of cycling to work on pedal power alone even at my fittest i couldnt have done it .
With 2 kids under 10 i cant seem to find the time to excercise hence the reason for ebiking to work
A litttle bit of fitness with a little bit of help
I think with the bbshd i would be inclined/tempted to use the trottle more than i should.
And the hub drives just from reading about them would probably be too much strain over time and create more drag for the freewheel on the way home
Don't dismiss the hub drives. I prefer mid but for legal road use they are fine for 98% of rides.

• Agree
Reactions: Apprentice and mw1

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Freewheeling with a geared hub offers no drag on descents in fact with the heavier mass just make sure you have good hydraulic brakes, If steep enough you will hit 40/50 mph down hill and easily 30 on gentle descents with correct gearing.
Ditchling Beacon is one prime example a very fast down hill winding descent with some 90 degree bends if brave enough and a good low riding position in the right conditions you could probably hit 40+, I'm not quite that full on and 36 is my tops with no bends it would be a great 50 mph drop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apprentice

Apprentice

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2017
Ireland
Don't dismiss the hub drives. I prefer mid but for legal road use they are fine for 98% of rides.
Freewheeling with a geared hub offers no drag on descents in fact with the heavier mass just make sure you have good hydraulic brakes, If steep enough you will hit 40/50 mph down hill and easily 30 on gentle descents with correct gearing.
Ditchling Beacon is one prime example a very fast down hill winding descent with some 90 degree bends if brave enough and a good low riding position in the right conditions you could probably hit 40+, I'm not quite that full on and 36 is my tops with no bends it would be a great 50 mph drop.
I dont really have a lot to go by other than what ive read but most of what ive read states mid motor climbs better assisted
because you can use gears to wind the motor down
Whichever motor i get will be having a hard life 7.5 mile climb monday to friday
I just have a feeling that mid will survive the hard life a little better

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
for commuting, geared hub motors are cheaper to buy and have lower running / maintenance cost. If you need to climb steep hills, get a large hub like a Bafang BPM.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Out of my 5 bikes if I had to get rid of all bar one, I would keep the 20a BB bpm kit. Its torque and climbing ability with 20mph top speed @36v is quite impressive.

Reactions: Apprentice

Apprentice

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2017
Ireland
Out of my 5 bikes if I had to get rid of all bar one, I would keep the 20a BB bpm kit. Its torque and climbing ability with 20mph top speed @36v is quite impressive.
Its one i was looking at
Ive more or less made the desision to buy the cube ,
But i have an old scott mtb that i will convert for the missus once funds replenish
And i think ill go that route and try to link a few dewalt batteries in series to power it
Where did you buy it from

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I got mine unused for £400 from an other e bike vendor it was originally sourced from Woosh, the kit is 20a front bpm aka the Big Bear kit. For the money and its power you would be hard to find any better kit out there and is awesome for hills or would make a good towing bike.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Keep a hub at or above about 8mph going uphill and you'll have no problem. This keeps the efficiency higher, so less power going to heat.
The bpm's have so much metal in them they barely get warm.
I regularly do a 2.5 mile climb with the ezee, never faulters.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's an awful lot of rubbish written. There's no drag from a geared hub-motor. Strain over time has no effect - just makes them freer:

Apprentice

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2017
Ireland
Cheers for the advice people
I know theres a lot of rubbish written on the web and a lot of biased views

But unfortunatley i dont persnally know anyone that has an ebike to tell me there real world experience .
Ive been to a few bike shops in the last few weeks and each salesman is selling me there wares as (the best type)electric motor money can buy ect... ect....

So the only solution for me is to read up what i can
I do take on what everyone on here has to say as you lot have real world knowledge of ebikes

And i will buy a hub for my old mtb when i can afford to down the line
But for now im gonna try out the bosch
Thanks again everyone for the advice