New to Ebikes

Big Gee

Just Joined
Aug 17, 2018
I am in need of a bit of help, I'm not new to cycling but new to ebikes, I'm not jumping on here without doing some research but would love to have some guidance.
We are looking to purchase two ebikes MTB style, mainly for leisure use, so far I have seen the Oxygen S-Cross MTB, The Jetson at Costco, The Cyclotricity Stealth and the Woosh Rio,
Our budget is £1500 per bike.
Everyone seems to have pro/cons, The Jetson is well priced but seems to be a small battery (7.8ah), The Cyclotricity offers the derestricted option which appeals but the running gear appears cheap, the Oxygen seems to be top money compared with the others, the woosh seems well equiped as standard but only 8 gears.

They will be used for holidays and go in the back of a motorhome, perhaps use at home if it appeals, at the moment we have normal mountain bikes and we put a little dog on the front on both which does add to the weight. I would rather have something that does the job without struggling to the max. Equally we don't want anything that will fall to bits, if our budget is unrealistic I'm all ears.

Is there any other brands out there I'm missing, hopefully you will give me your thoughts on others and the above.

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
I can certainly vouch for the Oxygen S-Cross MTB, having just bought one.

Oxygen bikes are good quality items as many on these forums will attest. Also the Oxygen support is first class.

1.The Oxygen can be derestricted.

2. The Oxygen has 27 gears. The middle chain ring comes in very handy on steep hills.

3. The MTB has hydraulic brakes as standard.

3. 13ah is the minimum battery needed in my opinion.

4. The Oxygen’s battery is in the middle of the bike. Personally I do not like rack-mounted batteries because of the poor weight distribution.

5. All Oxygen bikes have a 2 year warranty, provided that they are registered within 14 days of purchase.

I do not consider the Oxygen bikes overpriced when you look at the component quality and what you get for the money.

NB You will remember the quality long after the price has been forgotten.

Do test ride the models on your shortlist before splashing the cash.

Big Gee

Just Joined
Aug 17, 2018
Thanks Eagle, my parents have two oxygens, (a couple of years old) not full MTB but perfect for them, they seem okay, I did have a go on one and the speed is unbelievable. The Rotherham HQ is 30 mins away so probably best having a look in the showroom.

My top money remark re oxygen is a little harsh, to clarify the spec is not that in depth on the website therefore it's hard to tell what you actually get for your money, going back to my biking days if a manufacturer said the groupset was Shimano it was a certain level of Shimano, for instance Shimano XT.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Oxygen is good for the money.

John, who owns the brand and is often behind his desk in Rotherham, is usually amenable to negotiation.

You won't get a top range Shimano groupset for this sort of money, for that you would need to pay £3K+ per bike.

As a general point, eMTBs are heavy and unwieldy lumps.

You need to establish if two will fit in the motorhome, and if you are able to hump them into it.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I can certainly vouch for the Oxygen S-Cross MTB, having just bought one.

Oxygen bikes are good quality items as many on these forums will attest. Also the Oxygen support is first class.

1.The Oxygen can be derestricted.

2. The Oxygen has 27 gears. The middle chain ring comes in very handy on steep hills.

3. The MTB has hydraulic brakes as standard.

3. 13ah is the minimum battery needed in my opinion.

4. The Oxygen’s battery is in the middle of the bike. Personally I do not like rack-mounted batteries because of the poor weight distribution.

5. All Oxygen bikes have a 2 year warranty, provided that they are registered within 14 days of purchase.

I do not consider the Oxygen bikes overpriced when you look at the component quality and what you get for the money.

NB You will remember the quality long after the price has been forgotten.

Do test ride the models on your shortlist before splashing the cash.
totally agree with Eagle, they are a great value bike and with the 27 gears I find they allow me to cycle more with low power or without altogether

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I am in need of a bit of help, I'm not new to cycling but new to ebikes, I'm not jumping on here without doing some research but would love to have some guidance.
We are looking to purchase two ebikes MTB style, mainly for leisure use, so far I have seen the Oxygen S-Cross MTB, The Jetson at Costco, The Cyclotricity Stealth and the Woosh Rio,
Our budget is £1500 per bike.
Everyone seems to have pro/cons, The Jetson is well priced but seems to be a small battery (7.8ah), The Cyclotricity offers the derestricted option which appeals but the running gear appears cheap, the Oxygen seems to be top money compared with the others, the woosh seems well equiped as standard but only 8 gears.

They will be used for holidays and go in the back of a motorhome, perhaps use at home if it appeals, at the moment we have normal mountain bikes and we put a little dog on the front on both which does add to the weight. I would rather have something that does the job without struggling to the max. Equally we don't want anything that will fall to bits, if our budget is unrealistic I'm all ears.

Is there any other brands out there I'm missing, hopefully you will give me your thoughts on others and the above.
Our Kudos Mistral is worth a glance...it has the BPM hi-torq at low speed motor which is useful for MTB usage and the integral Samsung battery. For 2 bikes I could offer £1000.00 per bike.
KudosDave