New to forum

alf

Just Joined
May 26, 2012
Hello everybody, I have only just joined the forum but have been reading about different members views on bikes as i was clueless when it came to e bikes,
I bought my first ebike back in Dec 2011. I know what a funny time of year to be getting back into biking, and me living in Scotland too. Well never mind all that. My first bike was a cyclamatic, which i bought because of the good press it had on this and other forums. A very decent bike it is too. The only thing wrong with it was the range of 20-25 miles. I soon realised that 36v 10ah bikes went half as far again so i bought a second hand Sirocco. This bike took me easily into the 30+ range. I fitted the hill climbing controller, which was supplied by The original seller of the bike in Southend so as not to void the warranty. What a brilliant bike i thought until my spokes were breaking one after the other. I dont know why this was happening because i wasnt treating it any different than my cheaper Cyclamatic. However after going on to the original suppliers website i saw the bike was only rated up to 95kg. I dont weigh quite that much but im not a little bloke,so i put it down to a combination of my weight, a better controller, A lot of Scottish hills and me probably having too much change in my pockets.
By this time i am thinking i need a heavier duty bike. I had just sold my Cyclamatic and to my surprise i got back nearly as much as i paid for it because they had just gone up by £100. I then rebuilt my back wheel on my Sirocco and sold that and ended up buying a Pro rider E voyager. Mainly for their excellent door to door warranty, according to reviews i had read, and because they say the bike can take riders up to 130kg. I have done nearly 900 miles on this bike and all i have had to do is adjust the brakes and top up the tyres. It may be a little bit heavier than my other e bikes as its full suspension but its comfy, seems to be reliable and very often gives me mid 30s without running the battery flat. Just the other day i went to Dundee and back in high power pedal assist with two of my five bars still showing on battery charge when i got home. I must admit i do put in the effort or i might as well be burning petrol, not calories. All in all i have been very happy with the bikes ive had so far, even the sirocco. Had i bought it new from the supplier i would have been informed of the weight restrictions as i found them very helpful and honest when i was having problems. well thats enough for me right now. Thanks to all of you whos threads and reviews i have been studying to get me back on bikes again. Lastly does anyone know if flecc has a life outside the pedelec forum

Alf

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Hi and welcome Alf.

I wish you all the best with your latest acquisition and expect it will serve your needs better than your last bike, basing that on the feedback I've seen from owners.

As for Flecc....he may well acknowledge you himself in due course but I'm certain he exists in many dimensions and I'm sure he has many interests besides providing help and guidance in this forum.

Regards,
Indalo

alf

Just Joined
May 26, 2012
Hi Indalo, thanks for your reply. Yes im sure this bike will suit my needs better than the last. Im sure flecc exists everywhere. Whatever thread i went to there he was, and i did expect flecc to be the first person to get back to me. I hope he hasnt taken offence and not seen it as the light hearted banter that was intended.
Just thought id mention, in my first text i said i took my bike to Dundee and back on a full charge. I forgot to mention it was 36 miles, which i am more than happy with considering the terrain and my belly.
Regards
Alf

Last edited:

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Havnt you worked it out yet flecc isn't a person but a collective

There is no way one person could know all they know :D

C

Cyclezee

On the subject of Flecc, I liken him to God, obviously he is not:(
If he were the world would not be in such a mess:(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lastly does anyone know if flecc has a life outside the pedelec forum

Alf
Indeed I do Alf, in fact e-bikes are a secondary interest for me. Have a look through my Wildlife website and also the Friends of Selsdon Wood website. On the latter at the Sightings and Fauna page to look at the photos and stories of the Woodpecker and Chick and the Badger, and then in the galleries below where a mouse over the photos or a click will show the photo attributions:

wildlife

FSW Wildlife

Then on my e-bike secondary interest there's the following websites:

Panasonic support: Panasonic Index

Giant Lafree support: lafree

eZee Torq 1 support: torq

Trailers: trailers

The last site on trailers mentions some other activity of mine.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
See even further proof they are really the Borg ;)

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012
The last site on trailers mentions some other activity of mine.
It does not include one other activity of yours! I have noted, flecc, that you do not post when Top Gear is being recorded ... I think you are the Stig!!!:p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh no! I have indulged in competitive motor sport on two and four wheels long ago, but I'm no fan of "Top Gear". I don't see it as a motoring program, it's more in the ilk of "Some mothers do 'ave 'em".

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Oh come on Flecc....tell them about your other passion in life.......F1 !! ROFLMAO :D :D

Lynda :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I still cant persuade you then ........:D :D

Lynda :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not until they scrap the artifices of rule book racing and return to real driver and car racing.

alf

Just Joined
May 26, 2012
Hi flecc, thanks for the links. I found most of it quite interesting especially as you steered me in the direction of A to B magazine. Anything i can learn about electric bikes is a bonus so i have ordered all the back issues i can get my hands on.
The main reason for me getting on the Pedelcs forum was to hopefully get advice or other peoples thoughts on my past and present machines, but i have inadvertently turned this thread into a place of worship.
I too have a trailer for my bike. Not a home made one like yourself but a shop bought job. I am also making plans for a single wheel trailer to attach to my bike for days when i dont need so much space. I find my big trailer can be a bit of a bind on some of our cyclepaths next to the dual carriageways as they can be quite narrow and if i dont stay centered i sometimes drop a wheel off the pavement. We have plenty of signed cycleroutes around here on the B roads but the A roads seem to go round the hills and the B roads go straight up and down the other side. A nightmare when you have a load on but great fun when you dont. I almost joined the 50mph club the other day.
Thanks again for the links, and if you can think of anything a novice needs to know about electric bikes to make life easier or prolong the life of my bike/battery etc drop me a line.
Regards
Alf

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Now, THAT's what I call a trailer, Flecc :p

My Lab would be able to stretch out proper in that (He weighs 46kg & he's not fat!)

Pete