Newbie - I didnt want to be here but have no choice!

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
I used to commute 12ish miles a couple of days a week, on my mongrel MTB/Hybrid commuter - its mostly downhill there and mostly uphill back - some days were less fun than others but it worked for me (and beat the local rip off, slow buses)

And then I was offered a Merida 600 e-bike by my local council - free for a month so long as I used it to commute and told them all about it afterwards. Two weeks in and now I so NEED my own e-bike - hence joining this forum. Its like having a cycling super power! I can go everywhere at 15.5 mph, without sweat or grief

My current plan is to bodge the mongrel bike with a kit, given that the Merida would cost more than a decent small car . . . we shall see

Powerbikes

Trade Member
Sep 11, 2017
Whitehaven
www.powerbikes.uk
Hello and welcome. It is quite addictive once you've tried one.

There are plenty of decent kits available now for a reasonable price. Keep us posted on what you go for.

Richard

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Gotcha ! Similar thing happened to me after buying my missus an electric bike so she could keep up with me. Now I've got two :rolleyes::D

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
Thanks for the warm welcome folks, preliminary kit research has led me to EBC and their 250W front hub conversion. For a sensible amount of money (in e-bike/commuting terms) I can transform my mongrel bike in to a mongrel with super powers :)

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and D C

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Is that Dynatech as in Raleigh? I used to have one, still have sort of, great MTB until I broke the frame.:(
Welcome.
Dave.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
Yes indeedy :) Raleigh did a range of bonded frames a few years back and many got branded as Dynatech. One of my favourite bikes is built up from my old bonded Titanium Dynatech frame and fork set as a lightweight single speed mountain bike. How long the bonding will survive is anyone's guess but it sure is fun

Reactions: D C