Newbie introducing myself

hammerheads

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Birchwood,Warrington
Hi there,

This is a whole new world to me, I'm sufficiently intrigued by electric bikes and looking to purchase one this month. It may turn out that it isn't for me so not looking to spend a fortune so my current train of thought is to buy 2nd hand and if I'm in this for the long haul then I'll probably buy a better bike brand new.

I'm 44 yrs old but quite out of shape, in part due to a diagnosis of ME and a congenital spinal condition- both of which impairs my mobility. Having an assisted bike will give me support to carry out gentle exercise and if my back gives out then at least I'll stand a chance of being able to get back home!

Looking forward to making a nuisance of myself on here and asking lots of newbie questions

Stephen

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Hi and welcome to the forum
You will find lots of info on this site to help you on your way.
If you do buy secondhand make sure that the battery is ok.
If you put on here what kind of bike you want and how far you want to go and your weight and the kind of bike you want then you will get lots of advice.

All the best.
Steve

hammerheads

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Birchwood,Warrington
Hi and welcome to the forum
You will find lots of info on this site to help you on your way.
If you do buy secondhand make sure that the battery is ok.
If you put on here what kind of bike you want and how far you want to go and your weight and the kind of bike you want then you will get lots of advice.

All the best.
Steve
Thanks for the welcome. I'm looking for a hybrid, well at least I think so, needs to be a sit up and beg style seating position due to my back condition. I'm approx 15 stone in weight and looking to do 15 miles a day maximum. Next year my offices are moving location so it'll be double that but for now it's 7 miles each way

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
image.jpg
I don't have one but I think woosh make some bikes that may be ok for you
Take a look at the big bear.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Stephen,

I would recommend the new Woosh Bermuda with 13AH battery.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bermuda

The Woosh Bermuda:
Classic 20" diamond frame, adjustable riding position, 40-45 miles on flat roads with 13AH battery. 50-55 miles with 15AH battery, powerful Bafang SWX02 motor delivers exceptional hill climbing ability.
8-speed, 23kgs
Throttle and pedelec
27.5" wheels (650B)
will suit riders 5ft 8 and above, up to 17st, 110kgs
will suit hilly terrain

Only £849 with 13AH battery
Only £899 with 15AH battery
Price including delivery

hammerheads

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Birchwood,Warrington
Hello Stephen,

I would recommend the new Woosh Bermuda with 13AH battery.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bermuda

The Woosh Bermuda:
Classic 20" diamond frame, adjustable riding position, 40-45 miles on flat roads with 13AH battery. 50-55 miles with 15AH battery, powerful Bafang SWX02 motor delivers exceptional hill climbing ability.
8-speed, 23kgs
Throttle and pedelec
27.5" wheels (650B)
will suit riders 5ft 8 and above, up to 17st, 110kgs
will suit hilly terrain

Only £849 with 13AH battery
Only £899 with 15AH battery
Price including delivery

That's a nice looking bike. Do you have any stockists in the North West? The shop in South End is too far for me to travel. The bike says suitable for people 5'8 though I'm 5'7, does that present a problem?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Stephen,

Sorry - we do not deal with stockists as we sell direct.
We can answer any questions if it would help you make a decision more easily - and the 5 ft 7" is fine by the way. Actually the seat post height at its lowest can accommodate riders as short as 5 ft 4 but we recommend a bit taller for general comfort and reach.
We welcome callers and have a lot each week who travel a fair old way - the record is France, but we have had customers from Penzance and Cumbria who have actually done the return journey in one day - but a lot choose to make a bit of a break away and stay the night in Southend (no doubt enjoying the highlights of the Pier, slot machines and fish and chips).
The Bermuda is a nice bike IMO, looks good, not heavy, fast and excellent value for money. If you think you could make it down to see us sometime you would be very welcome.

• Informative

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Woosh are a solid company with a good reputation at the budget end.
They are offering a new bike with warranty at a price only just above second hand.
Although others are coming down in price to compete for budget buyers.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Stephen,

the Big Bear is fitted with a more powerful Bafang BPM motor, torque wise, the Big Bear gives about 10% more power compared to the Bermuda.
On the other hand, the Bermuda's motor is on the rear wheel, battery is on the downtube, Bermuda has lower centre of gravity, better traction and is 1.5kg lighter. Controls on the Bermuda are simpler, only 3 assist levels against 5 on the Big Bear. Personally, I like the Bermuda, it feels more like a push bike, more fun to ride.

• Informative

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Hi
If it was me, I'd pay a bit more money for a bike because you will get the e-bike bug and then have to upgrade at a later date

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Hi
If it was me, I'd pay a bit more money for a bike because you will get the e-bike bug and then have to upgrade at a later date
Perhaps not. A whoosh should give at least 3 years with minor maintance.
To jump to a non Chinese build will take the bill from under a £k to perhaps £2k? That's to go to quality ride. It's like going from a Hyundai to BMW big price diff but both will do 70 on the motorway.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Ooh you've thrown me now, I like both. Forgive my ignorance but is having the motor on the rear wheel and the battery on the down tube advantageous?
It really depends what you're after.

Motor in the front, battery at the back gives a good weight distribution, and all wheel drive. It also distributes the power through twice as many spokes, meaning less chance of breakage. It doesn't give a sporty ride, but if you want to be upright I'd guess sporty is not a requirement. It's less stealthy though.

Motor on the back, battery on the downtube is sporty, with good weight distribution.

Battery and motor on rear can be a bit tail heavy, likely not a problem unless you are small or riding off road. It's the most stealthy as you can hide the battery in a pannier or bag.

I think Woosh is your best bet, but you will have to spend more than £600.

It's possible to buy a new bike for £600, but it won't be up to commuting.

Have you considered the cycle scheme, second hand or DIY route?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

hammerheads

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Birchwood,Warrington
Is there anyone in the North West that has a Big Bear or Bermuda bike that I can pop round and take a look at? I'm torn between the two and struggling to understand the differences other than a couple of aesthetic ones