Newbie introducing myself

hammerheads

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Birchwood,Warrington
damn, thought nobody was replying to my thread, turns out they were but I wasn't getting email alerts!

I do like the Cyclotricity stealth (and yes Lee, I think I'd go for the more powerful one - great fun when off road I imagine)

I do think this one looks like a lot of bike for your money, especially as it's reduced. I'm no expert but full suspension sounds like a good thing, especially for someone like me with a glass back :)

http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item...ygen_MTB-X_Full_suspension_electric_bike.aspx

Reactions: LeighPing

hammerheads

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Birchwood,Warrington
damn, thought nobody was replying to my thread, turns out they were but I wasn't getting email alerts!

I do like the Cyclotricity stealth (and yes Lee, I think I'd go for the more powerful one - great fun when off road I imagine)

I do think this one looks like a lot of bike for your money, especially as it's reduced. I'm no expert but full suspension sounds like a good thing, especially for someone like me with a glass back :)

http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item...ygen_MTB-X_Full_suspension_electric_bike.aspx
hmmmm just checked my current bike and it's an 18" frame. The MTB-X is a 20.5 inch frame, wonder if it'd be ok at a pinch

hammerheads

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Birchwood,Warrington
I'm 5'7 -5'8 (depending on how long I've been lying down LOL) not a bad idea to test one in a shop, the Cyclotricity one at 17" is definitely small enough :)
The Oxygen bikes came highly recommended though I guess the retailer may have his own motivation for recommending them

• Agree

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Oxygen are well liked here. Good kit for self build. Bikes are ok without any major issues I can remember. Much cheaper than the bosh builds without the threads saying its bust and will cost more to fix than .....

• Informative

hammerheads

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Birchwood,Warrington
Oxygen are well liked here. Good kit for self build. Bikes are ok without any major issues I can remember. Much cheaper than the bosh builds without the threads saying its bust and will cost more to fix than .....
I thought I'd found my bike (the MTB-X) then it turns out the frame might be a tad too tall for me - d'oh! I'm getting to the point where I'm tying myself in knots now but both Oxygen and Cyclotricity seem to have a decent reputation

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
There are a lot of decent bikes.
You need to test ride and test ride again.
Remember to also test with the motor off. That tells you how good the bike is. If it's easy to pedal unpowered then the assist just has tohelp you, max range.
If it's a pig the motor has to work hard just to shift it before it can help so reduced range.

• Agree

hammerheads

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Birchwood,Warrington
There are a lot of decent bikes.
You need to test ride and test ride again.
Remember to also test with the motor off. That tells you how good the bike is. If it's easy to pedal unpowered then the assist just has tohelp you, max range.
If it's a pig the motor has to work hard just to shift it before it can help so reduced range.
Good advice Dave, this weekend I'm hoping to fit some test rides in

hammerheads

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Birchwood,Warrington
Hi everyone, so I've taken the plunge (perhaps that should be a light paddle in the shallow end) and picked up a 2nd hand Cyclamatic Power Plus. First time ever on an electric bike, my goodness what a blast! Only had a short test run when I bought it but had a proper run out when I came home. Colour me impressed - getting round the park and up the hill was easy peasy and even trundling along on throttle only was great fun. I took it out on the road and got up to speeds I never would have thought of achieving without assistance. Have to say the whole thing was a real revelation, now I finally realise what all the fuss is about :)

Reactions: D8ve and LeighPing

hammerheads

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Birchwood,Warrington
Hi everyone, so I've taken the plunge (perhaps that should be a light paddle in the shallow end) and picked up a 2nd hand Cyclamatic Power Plus. First time ever on an electric bike, my goodness what a blast! Only had a short test run when I bought it but had a proper run out when I came home. Colour me impressed - getting round the park and up the hill was easy peasy and even trundling along on throttle only was great fun. I took it out on the road and got up to speeds I never would have thought of achieving without assistance. Have to say the whole thing was a real revelation, now I finally realise what all the fuss is about :)
Plan now is to use this bike for a while whilst I look for a better more powerful model and my missus recovers from surgery she had a few weeks back. She'll keep the Cyclamatic (she won't ride a bike as often as I will not as far) nd I'll get a new one so we can go out together

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
They are fairly much of a muchness on power.
And if you do have a more powerful one you just hit 15 faster, or empty the battery very quickly. The assist is fairly similar.
The frame,and cycle parts can make a difference though as did the torque sensor when it was only on crank drive.

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

hammerheads

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Birchwood,Warrington
They are fairly much of a muchness on power.
And if you do have a more powerful one you just hit 15 faster, or empty the battery very quickly. The assist is fairly similar.
The frame,and cycle parts can make a difference though as did the torque sensor when it was only on crank drive.
Hi Dave, thanks for the response. What you're saying makes perfect sense. The only slight disappointment is that it's a bit of a bone shaker - great on smooth roads and pavements but even a half inch divet can cause your fillings to rattle!

• Informative

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Hi Dave, thanks for the response. What you're saying makes perfect sense. The only slight disappointment is that it's a bit of a bone shaker - great on smooth roads and pavements but even a half inch divet can cause your fillings to rattle!
Better tires(fatter), suspension forks and seat post will help with that.
You now have time to get used to electric bikes and test ride a few before moving on.
I have full suspension and I find that rougher road slows me down but the ride is still comfortable.

• Agree

hammerheads

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Birchwood,Warrington
Better tires(fatter), suspension forks and seat post will help with that.
You now have time to get used to electric bikes and test ride a few before moving on.
I have full suspension and I find that rougher road slows me down but the ride is still comfortable.
Thanks again Dave, have to say I'm still blown away by just how good it is. Consider me enlightened

• Agree

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I've just bought a Suntour NCX seatpost to help out with the bigger bumps, thin tyres are great for less resistance but you can deffinitely feel the bumps more!.

• Agree

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
  • Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
My 2.35 inch wide tyres run with low inflation to hug tree roots, rocks and mud better. 20psi, front and back. It's sometimes like running on flats. But hey, it's got a motor, I'm not suffering for that. :)

Now that it's stopped raining for five minutes, I could probably pump them up a bit and maybe go a little faster, when on the cycle paths.