Newbie introducing myself

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
If you can get to Buxton Juicy Bikes have a range of reliable ebikes and will offer you the chance to ride round the town! They have a great after-sales service too. Whatever you decide on do try to ride a variety of bikes before you buy one.
Let us know how you go on!
Best wishes,
Tom

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Is there anyone in the North West that has a Big Bear or Bermuda bike that I can pop round and take a look at? I'm torn between the two and struggling to understand the differences other than a couple of aesthetic ones
The Bermuda is a little lighter, could get slightly better range.
The big bear has slightly higher max power, so slightly less range.
But not a lot other than esthetics.
Think citeron or Peugeot. Both do family cars that work about the same.
If you've never had a car before they are both fantastic.

Unless you need a landrover. Either bike should meet your needs.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Stephen,

the Big Bear is fitted with a more powerful Bafang BPM motor, torque wise, the Big Bear gives about 10% more power compared to the Bermuda.
On the other hand, the Bermuda's motor is on the rear wheel, battery is on the downtube, Bermuda has lower centre of gravity, better traction and is 1.5kg lighter. Controls on the Bermuda are simpler, only 3 assist levels against 5 on the Big Bear. Personally, I like the Bermuda, it feels more like a push bike, more fun to ride.
What has happened to the signature that that points out that Trex is a woosh employee/shareholder/salesman/fanboy/stooge?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
What has happened to the signature that that points out that Trex is a woosh employee/shareholder/salesman/fanboy/stooge?

It was still there last I looked.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Can't see it Tapatalk?

You had better be careful you don't accidentally buy some woosh gear on his advice then Alan:eek:

Reactions: damian

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
My wife has a Big Bear low step, dutch style with front hub with 15Ah battery. We've just returned from a holiday in Cornwall where our longest ride was 36 miles on moderately hilly terain in windy conditions. My wife is no athelete, so she was using power all the way and returned with battery to spare. The front hub motor on these is powerful and will easily pull you up the steepest hills. (Try cycling out of St Ives!) However, it can be a bit 'lively' if the road is greasy or has a loose surface, this is exacerbated by the upright riding position. We mounted one of these to help put some weight over the front wheel, it does seem to help. (Handy for 'phone, water, sweeties, gloves etc.).
http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=range&url=super-c-handlebar-bag
The bike itself is solid, front suspension forks are OK, if a bit clunky. Gears and brakes are good. It has an NCX suspension seat post, handy if you have a back condition, it works well and has some adjustment for weight. The Tektro tyres are quite large so offer a bit more shock absorbtion.
We ordered the bike on-line and it arrived next day. It took about an hour, being uber careful, to de-crate and put the handle bars in the correct position, that was all the assembly needed.
Woosh were helpful throughout with dimension and geometry info, a pleasure to deal with.
For the price it's a solid bike and the large battery will ensure you still have the range you need as capacity diminishes over the years.
We bought untried, but were replacing a lower powered Giant that had very similar geometry, so we knew we were in the ball park.
Do try some, before parting with the hard earned, to find the frame style and setup that suites you.

hammerheads

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Birchwood,Warrington
My wife has a Big Bear low step, dutch style with front hub with 15Ah battery. We've just returned from a holiday in Cornwall where our longest ride was 36 miles on moderately hilly terain in windy conditions. My wife is no athelete, so she was using power all the way and returned with battery to spare. The front hub motor on these is powerful and will easily pull you up the steepest hills. (Try cycling out of St Ives!) However, it can be a bit 'lively' if the road is greasy or has a loose surface, this is exacerbated by the upright riding position. We mounted one of these to help put some weight over the front wheel, it does seem to help. (Handy for 'phone, water, sweeties, gloves etc.).
http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=range&url=super-c-handlebar-bag
The bike itself is solid, front suspension forks are OK, if a bit clunky. Gears and brakes are good. It has an NCX suspension seat post, handy if you have a back condition, it works well and has some adjustment for weight. The Tektro tyres are quite large so offer a bit more shock absorbtion.
We ordered the bike on-line and it arrived next day. It took about an hour, being uber careful, to de-crate and put the handle bars in the correct position, that was all the assembly needed.
Woosh were helpful throughout with dimension and geometry info, a pleasure to deal with.
For the price it's a solid bike and the large battery will ensure you still have the range you need as capacity diminishes over the years.
We bought untried, but were replacing a lower powered Giant that had very similar geometry, so we knew we were in the ball park.
Do try some, before parting with the hard earned, to find the frame style and setup that suites you.
Thanks for taking the time out to reply, a lot of really useful info there. I like the Big Bear because of its sturdiness and raw power but I'll keep looking. Went out for a quick go on my mountain bike tonight, my goodness what a struggle, I'm way more out of shape than I thought so an electric bike makes more and more sense

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Then there must be a good seal on it, but I just know water and electric don't mix to well.
No doubt that's something that crosses all our minds from time to time. :)

When I'm out in the rain I use poo bags liberally to waterproof my handlebar attachments. Which always looks like I've crashed into Halfords. :D

DSC00439.JPG

handlebars.jpg

Last edited:

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I just don't like the idea of all that spray off the front wheel
True Steve. Although it seems like a sealed black plastic box. Rounded and in one piece at the bottom. So the seal is at the top, which should be fine. Maybe someone on here can tell us more. :)

box.jpg