News: European cycle market 2016: e-bike sales up 22%, Britain second for all bike sales

Pedelecs

Editorial
May 20, 2015
The Confederation of the European Bicycle Industry (CONEBI) has released its data for 2016, comparing the performance of cycling markets between different European countries by looking at both manufacturing and sales data.

It shows that while production here remains low compared to other European countries, the volume of overall bicycle sales in Great Britain is beaten only by Germany.

Bicycle Sales in Europe

Just under 20 million bicycles (including EAPCs) were sold across Europe last year, of which 13 million were produced in Europe. Of that total 1,667,000 were electric bikes, an increase in units sold of just over 22% compared to sales figures for 2015.

According to the report, Great Britain accounted for 16% of all bicycle sales in 2016, second only to Germany’s 21%. Sales of electric bikes ranked Great Britain 7th with 5% of all EAPCs sold in Europe, behind Austria, Italy, France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany at the top with 36%.

Full story: http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/news/conebi-ebike-sales-up-22-britain-second-all-cycle-sales/

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
And of course thats just complete bikes.
Wonder how many kits were sold in the same period.

Reactions: LeighPing

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Must say that on a recent ride to Mumbles along the coast path I regularly saw ebikes whereas they were quite rare last year.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Must say that on a recent ride to Mumbles along the coast path I regularly saw ebikes whereas they were quite rare last year.
According to calculations from that report, our UK sales in 2016 were well over 83,000, a huge leap from the 30,000 in very recent years and under 20,000 previously.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Just been talking to Paul from Eden-E Motion Ebikes and he sold 6 bikes at Penrith show on Saturday and another 8 in the shop on Sunday!
Not bad for a little shop in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere.
http://www.eden-e-motion.co.uk/

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With the like of Halfords offering some 50 e bikes and others like Evans, Decathlon and GTECH offering bikes they will sure become the next play thing for the masses. The Government's recent announcement's will also help.

• Agree

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
With the like of Halfords offering some 50 e bikes and others like Evans, Decathlon and GTECH offering bikes they will sure become the next play thing for the masses. The Government's recent announcement's will also help.
To encourage sales and for people to leave their cars at home I would like to see the government give us zero VAT on all E-bikes, obviously I would also backdate it six months or a year so I get money back. :p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
To encourage sales and for people to leave their cars at home I would like to see the government give us zero VAT on all E-bikes, obviously I would also backdate it six months or a year so I get money back. :p
Not possible until March 2019 when we are due to leave the EU.

Under EU mandatory rules, VAT once applied to an item cannot be reduced below 5%. That's why we are stuck with 5% VAT on our electricity bills, the government that wanted to remove it altogether couldn't.

• Informative
Reactions: Mal69

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
Not possible until March 2019 when we are due to leave the EU.

Under EU mandatory rules, VAT once applied to an item cannot be reduced below 5%. That's why we are stuck with 5% VAT on our electricity bills, the government that wanted to remove it altogether couldn't.
That is one crazy law that needs changed, flexibility and the right to change rules on things like that should be solely down to the UK parliament.

It's stuff like that which gives ammunition to the leave Europe folks.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That is one crazy law that needs changed, flexibility and the right to change rules on things like that should be solely down to the UK parliament.

It's stuff like that which gives ammunition to the leave Europe folks.
It actually made sense in its origin. The principle that taxation would be by VAT was a fundamental of the early EU, and to get membership meant agreeing to that. So the choice was ours.

The lowest limit of 5% rule was to prevent any member once in undermining the principle by getting rid of all VAT by the back door.