News: NEC Cycle Show: 22nd to 24th September

D

Deleted member 4366

Thats not good. Ive only got a couple of hours to spend there and was hoping to at least visit the Bosch stand to ask some questions.
Please tell us how you get on. Maybe I caught them at a bad time, like when there were no other visitors on their stand. maybe they wanted to rest a bit after the last difficult visitor.

• :D
Reactions: Chris.L

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Hall 12 is once again home to the Cycle Show’s e-bike village at the end of next week, with a number of exhibitors showing e-bikes on stands and in the demo ‘pit’ area, including Wisper, Shimano Steps, Juicy, Batribike, Wattitud, Momentum Electric and Panda eBikes to name just a few.

Full story: http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/news/nec-cycle-show-22nd-24th-september/

NEC links:
Cycle Show Floorplan
Visiting & Ticket information

Russ and I will be along on the Saturday and looking forward to it. Any forum members going on the Fri or over the weekend?
Will be there on the Saturday with a mate who is ebike curious

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Went today, good show, enjoyed it. Tried a Reisse and Muller out on the track. Quite impressive. They favour the new Bosch units, are they that much better than the Yamaha's?

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Please tell us how you get on. Maybe I caught them at a bad time, like when there were no other visitors on their stand. maybe they wanted to rest a bit after the last difficult visitor.
There were only two reasons for my visit to the show - to see the Cube Acid ebike, and to see the Bosch stand. To be honest, it was all a bit of a disaster. Here's how it went.

Cube stand
As the one thing I wanted to see was the Cube stand to have a look at the Cube Acid ebike, it was disappointing to discover they didn't have any!! They explained that all the Acid bikes were being shipped to customers meaning there were none left to bring to the show.

The guy I spoke to was very helpful and I did get to ask questions about the differences between the Reaction One/Pro/Allroad etc, and learnt that the One model is for Germany only and not for the UK. So at least I can rule that one out. I got to see in the flesh the Reaction Hybrid Race 500 and the Reaction Hybrid Pro 500, with the Race looking verrrry nice in red.

As I was there early the Cube guy advised me to go straight to the indoor demo bike area to try out some ebikes, so I rushed off to beat the queue. And this is where things went from bad to worse...

Off road bike demo track
I got straight on the track but the only Cube bike they had available close to my size was still a bit too small, making it difficult to ride, and it was a full suspension mountain bike (I'm wanting a hybrid). Im a big bloke, and with the rear suspension pumped up to max, it wasn't really enough. When riding over the bumps the pedals were bottoming out on the ground, and the front and rear suspension were causing the bike to bump up and down, absorbing my pedal effort, making it very difficult to ride.I didn't have time to adjust or lock off the suspension as you only get about 3 minutes riding.

I tried it on both eMTB and Turbo mode, but couldn't really fully experience the assistance properly as the indoor 'offroad circuit' had too many bumps and turns, meaning I couldn't build up any speed to experience the different modes. Seeing as my use for an ebike will be mostly road commuting I really need to try them on a road. This is where the local Bike Fest I'm booked on next weekend should be perfect, as I will have a choice of ebikes to ride on paths and roads. Im looking forward to it.

Bosch stand
I also went to the Bosch stand and really wanted to discuss the differences between the CX motor and the 2018 Active Plus. But just like d8veh I found them very stand off'ish, and the guy I spoke to didn't want to discuss anything with me. He just answered 'yes' and 'no' to my questions. I found him very ignorant and after a short time I turned and walked away, with me feelling very angry, I didn't even pick up a brochure as I was that pissed off with the Bosch stand. If it wasn't such a good motor I'd be purposely hunting down a bike with a different brand motor. It spoilt my day as I had lots of questions to ask.

Last edited:

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
i
There were only two reasons for my visit to the show - to see the Cube Acid ebike, and to see the Bosch stand. To be honest, it was all a bit of a disaster. Here's how it went.

Cube stand
As the one thing I wanted to see was the Cube stand to have a look at the Cube Acid ebike, it was disappointing to discover they didn't have any!! They explained that all the Acid bikes were being shipped to customers meaning there were none left to bring to the show.

The guy I spoke to was very helpful and I did get to ask questions about the differences between the Reaction One/Pro/Allroad etc, and learnt that the One model is for Germany only and not for the UK. So at least I can rule that one out. I got to see in the flesh the Reaction Hybrid Race 500 and the Reaction Hybrid Pro 500, with the Race looking verrrry nice in red.

As I was there early the Cube guy advised me to go straight to the indoor demo bike area to try out some ebikes, so I rushed off to beat the queue. And this is where things went from bad to worse...

Off road bike demo track
I got straight on the track but the only Cube bike they had available close to my size was still a bit too small, making it difficult to ride, and it was a full suspension mountain bike (I'm wanting a hybrid). Im a big bloke, and with the rear suspension pumped up to max, it wasn't really enough. When riding over the bumps the pedals were bottoming out on the ground, and the front and rear suspension were causing the bike to bump up and down, absorbing my pedal effort, making it very difficult to ride.I didn't have time to adjust or lock off the suspension as you only get about 3 minutes riding.

I tried it on both eMTB and Turbo mode, but couldn't really fully experience the assistance properly as the indoor 'offroad circuit' had too many bumps and turns, meaning I couldn't build up any speed to experience the different modes. Seeing as my use for an ebike will be mostly road commuting I really need to try them on a road. This is where the local Bike Fest I'm booked on next weekend should be perfect, as I will have a choice of ebikes to ride on paths and roads. Im looking forward to it.

Bosch stand
I also went to the Bosch stand and really wanted to discuss the differences between the CX motor and the 2018 Active Plus. But just like d8veh I found them very stand off'ish, and the guy I spoke to didn't want to discuss anything with me. He just answered 'yes' and 'no' to my questions. I found him very ignorant and after a short tie I turned and walked away, felling very angry, I didn't even pick up a brochure as I was that pissed off with the Bosch stand. If it wasn't such a good motor I'd be purposely hunting down a bike with a different brand motor. It spoilt my day as I had lots of questions to ask.
i honestly think i would send an extract from this forum with d8veh permission to Bosch customer service, stating what you have said here. I used to let this kind of thing go, but surely even Bosch want friendly, helpful smiling faces on their stand. If no-one says anything, Bosch will never know.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
i

i honestly think i would send an extract from this forum with d8veh permission to Bosch customer service, stating what you have said here. I used to let this kind of thing go, but surely even Bosch want friendly, helpful smiling faces on their stand. If no-one says anything, Bosch will never know.
Ive just sent them a message via their 'Contact' section of their ebike website, detailing my poor experience. It won't come to anything, but like you say, perhaps they might want to know.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
interbike is much better as probably where all the new bikes went ;) £££

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
i

Got the following email reply from Bosch..

thank you very much for your mail.

We sincerely regret your experience at the Bosch stand, it is not our intention.
Please apologize, it was not our intention to give you the feeling that you were not interesting enough.

We will be pleased to answer any questions that you may have and we will gladly provide you with further information about our Bosch eBike products.

Please excuse the circumstances.

Your Bosch eBike support.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Got the following email reply from Bosch..

thank you very much for your mail.

We sincerely regret your experience at the Bosch stand, it is not our intention.
Please apologize, it was not our intention to give you the feeling that you were not interesting enough.

We will be pleased to answer any questions that you may have and we will gladly provide you with further information about our Bosch eBike products.

Please excuse the circumstances.

Your Bosch eBike support.
It's good that you emailed them and that they replied. If more people did this they might take note.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I have since had contact from a Bosch Marketing Manager who is keen to liaise with me further about my experiences at their stand at the Cycle Show. I shall update further once we have made contact.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

They didn't have this on the Swytch stand? It doesn't seem to have a brake on the front wheel so can't be used in France :rolleyes:

Just like Brompton they have designed a bag I see.

• :D

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I have since had contact from a Bosch Marketing Manager who is keen to liaise with me further about my experiences at their stand at the Cycle Show. I shall update further once we have made contact.
From reading Facebook, you are far from being the only person to have encountered a poor experience when visiting the Bosch stand.

• Informative

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
If it wasn't such a good motor I'd be purposely hunting down a bike with a different brand motor.
Have you considered ebikes with the Shimano E8000 drive unit

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Went today, good show, enjoyed it. Tried a Reisse and Muller out on the track. Quite impressive. They favour the new Bosch units, are they that much better than the Yamaha's?
Was it the R&M Roadster with the new Active Line Plus drive unit?
Are they as quite and smooth to pedal as reported

Last edited:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Bear

Try a Shimano Steps bike, on paper power is same as Active Plus. I like my wife's Steps bike, controls and display are better than Bosch, 15mph cutoff is a bit sharp compared to Bosch. High power level little lump, neither of these is much of issue in eco or normal where you should be most of time.

If you do like Steps then wait for Active Plus test as it is meant to be quieter.

For high quality Steps bike see Wallerang, not cheap but very well spec.

https://electric-bike-store.co.uk/wallerang-m-01x-smartbike/

• Informative

Swytch Bike

Trade Member
Sep 10, 2014

They didn't have this on the Swytch stand? It doesn't seem to have a brake on the front wheel so can't be used in France :rolleyes:

Just like Brompton they have designed a bag I see.
Yep - this is the new SWYTCH eBike system available soon for just $299. We got loads of interest in our electrified penny farthing that we use to prove that you really can fit it to ANY bike

D

Deleted member 4366

Yep - this is the new SWYTCH eBike system available soon for just $299. We got loads of interest in our electrified penny farthing that we use to prove that you really can fit it to ANY bike
Do you sell the swytch kit? If so, how much?