News :- Norwegian e-bike use study: more trips, average distance doubles

Pedelecs

Editorial
May 20, 2015
The Institute of Transport Economics in Norway this month unveiled the results of its electric bike study, concluding that electric bikes dramatically increase cycle journeys, with women in particular making more cycling journeys.

“People travel twice as much on the electric bike, both in terms of kilometres, amount of trips, and as part of the total transportation,” according to Aslak Fyhri of the Institute of Transport Economics.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/news/norwegian-e-bike-study-trips-average-distance-doubles/

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Kind of why I bought an pedelec in the first place although the other is that i'm such an inquisitive gadget type chap. Love cycling; hate the hills and the marathon fitness requirement for riding long distances.

I concur though. I have never ridden a bicycle as many miles on average as I have these past few months. Life changing for me. It's like my first guitar. I couldn't walk past it without wanting to pick it up and do something with it..

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
So the real questions are:

1. Are they wearing helmets?

2. Are helmets saving lives?

http://road.cc/content/news/63238-helmet-laws-discourage-safe-cyclists-says-new-study

:p
I seriously doubt that a bit of foam protects against the most serious impacts from a large chunk of metal hitting it. More from minor skin and hair damage from scuffing along the tarmac.

I wear a helmet primarily as I feel that it shows that i'm taking my cycling seriously and the fact that you can attach one of those front white and rear flashing red light jobbies to the top of it.

As a car driver as well, anyone weaving in and out of the traffic without one on compared to a cyclist with lights helmet and the common sense to stop at traffic lights (etc) demands greater respect from other road users (certainly from me). Anyone that thinks it affords them some sort of superior cranial damage protection may be fooling themselves in my opinion.

Reactions: mike killay

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
I seriously doubt that a bit of foam protects against the most serious impacts from a large chunk of metal hitting it. More from minor skin and hair damage from scuffing along the tarmac.
Yes, it won't have much effect if you collide with a car. But if you fall down head first from your bike, even at low speed, the helmet can absord the impact amazingly well and it could very well save you. I've tried that :eek: Of course, the possibility of this happening depends of the situation. I still seldom use a helmet when I ride my wife's step thru, but I wouldn't dare to ride without one when mountain biking or riding my cyclocross bike.

Reactions: SteveRuss

HelenJ

Administrator
Staff member
May 19, 2011
Just a quick update, I emailed Aslak Fyhri last night to ask if there was further data beyond the 2-4 week experiment period, he has very kindly replied as below:

"We have in fact just tested this issue with a new data set that we collected last year. The results are not published yet. The preliminary results are that when people are allowed to use their e-bikes for a longer period, they increase their bicycling even more. The data we used this time were from people who actually purchased a bike, not test people in an experiment.”

So while that reflects what people who've already bought one know, it's useful backup for prospective purchasers hopefully, i.e. very worth the investment.