Next ebike to buy

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014
Had been using one of the cheap folding bikes to get back in to cycling and see if an electric bike was for me, shown below. I'm 35 years old, 5"10 13.5 stone but completely unfit.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/e-co-electric-bike-249-99-sports-direct-delivered-1846286

Sold it before the winter to fund my next bike (and sold it for £50 more than I paid for it!)

Was very heavy for its size, only 24v but I had fun modding it with a throttle and removing speed limiter so I could get constant assistance. Small hills were ok, still needed a fair bit of a effort but anything steeper the bike would grind to a near halt and I'd find it hard to peddle in a straight line - not good on the narrow one way roads. And from office to home its all uphill. I never used the folding capability and I now have a garage and there are proper bike lockers in my office. 2 miles each way to office, I often pedaled home at lunch, so around 7-8 miles a day, therefore a huge battery not required and full size is fine.

I'd like something with a bit more grunt. Budget £1000, had considered a kit and get a 'decent' £600 bike but not sure I'd have the time to fully put one together.

Have been reading quite a bit last few days over what bikes to get - I see prices have shot up over last few years, a bike I once looked at the big bear which was around £900 in 2014 is now over a grand.

I think I've narrowed it down to a choice of four. Ideally I'd try each of them out, but here in Belper I don't think there is anywhere nearby that sells all of them, I'd be looking at halfords Derby or decathlon Nottingham way.

1) Halfords carrera e bike - most expensive at £1100 but a branch not too far away I could test
2) Gtech bike - £995, only single gear so probably not suitable for the derby hills, but imo the best looking of the 4 and like the fact I would get a free trial (although no idea if they're as good as Amazon when it comes to returns).
3) Kudos Stealth - have seen this bike praised on here and like the fact the owner(?) is a regular and knows his onions.
4) Big bear - Looked good when I researched bikes back in 2014 but £200 more expensive than it once was. Theres also a Karoo 13ah which is the cheapest but I don't know how the performance would compare to the others above.

I'm a bit of a tinkerer, not too bothered if I can't fit a throttle (I quite liked it on old bike), but I would like the ability to derestrict, something I've seen is possible on the carrera with a few components.

So, short of having to try and find owners/shops nearby with the above bikes, any of the above (or alternatives) that stand out?

Cheers

JD

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

skywayd

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 29, 2017
London
Personally I would lean towards your suggestion of buying a kit and decent bike. For the few hours (or afternoon at the weekend) putting it together (and you have support here if need any) you will be so much more happier in the long run and enjoy your riding far more.
I have just bought my first ebike cyclotricty revolver and though I have only used it a handful of times and are now hooked on ebiking, I cant wait to convert one of my other bikes. I am tempted to just strip this ebike and throw it on another and may do that yet.
You don't need to spend loads on a decent bike, you could buy a used one for half or third of RRP say £200 - £400 and get a decent kit all within the £1,000.
And it should be lighter (total say 18kg or under if you buy a decent hybrid) and much more reliable than ebikes for that price range. And the satisfaction of converting it yourself.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I agree with the previous poster - sounds like you are the perfect candidate for a kit. Forget a new bike though. They never make sense with a kit since the warranty is voided as soon as you modify it.

A kit built bike will also mean that you end up knowing it inside out and you'll be able to diagnose and fix most things yourself. Anything you do need assistance with, you can come here for help.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the warranty is voided as soon as you modify it..
Yes, this is also our policy although I'd like to add that affects only the motor unit. The warranty is honoured on the rest of the bike.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I think I've narrowed it down to a choice of four. Ideally I'd try each of them out, but here in Belper I don't think there is anywhere nearby that sells all of them, I'd be looking at halfords Derby or decathlon Nottingham way.

1) Halfords carrera e bike - most expensive at £1100 but a branch not too far away I could test
2) Gtech bike - £995, only single gear so probably not suitable for the derby hills, but imo the best looking of the 4 and like the fact I would get a free trial (although no idea if they're as good as Amazon when it comes to returns).
Hi Jaydee
You're very wise to test ride - that goes without saying. GTech do offer a 14 day trial, as must all on-line retailers. They simply make a sales pitch from that legal requirement. It is a real faff though, having to box-up and return a bike.

You could arrange to test ride the Carrera at Halfords in Ashbourne, which just happens to be about 400 metres from our own ebike showroom in Ashbourne. Call in there on the same Saturday and you'd then have test ridden a fifth choice of bike.

But perhaps you've already tried a Juicy? We always attend the Belper Goes Green event each summer, offering test rides continuously over the two days.

Reactions: jaydeeuk1

Zack @ Byocycles

Official Trade Member
Nov 17, 2015
Havant
www.byocycles.co.uk
Hudson Cycles in Rossington is quite close to Belper (30 miles) They have the full Byocycles range in!

Their address:

4 Eva Building
King Avenue
Rossington
DN11 0PF

I know you didn't specify us on your list, however we're definitely worth checking out in your price range.

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014
Right, after many many hours of reading, adding things to basket, looking elsewhere etc I've decided to go with the general consensus and build a bike myself. I've also decided that I'm going to get a bbs02 750w kit as I think that will be most suitable for me, rather than going for a 1000/1500w hub driven thing, especially as I've decided to get a new bike (and therefore not have to chuck half of it)

I see eclipse do the kit, although currently out of stock till May, and a suitable matching battery.

Ok, so my next question, and seeing as I know next to nothing about bikes is what would be a good candidate bike for around £300, read that it needs either 68m, or 73mm bottom bracket (only knew what one was as of 3 hours ago), not seen many sites that show that in the bike specs.

Cheers.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Rather than the 750w kit, I'd get the 25 amp 36v "250w" kit from Em3ev.com, which is legal and will give you 750W of output power. That should be enough for most people and is about 25% more than a Bosch or Yamaha motor.

Don't forget to order the gear sensor.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you are considering the 25a bbs02 750w why not get the legally stamped 25a 250w bbs01 from em3ev though cost may be a bit more. Not forgetting for both you will need a good battery with 25/30a bms and one with 30Q cells as these appear to be one of the best cells available at the mo for current supply.
Bike wise nearly any mtb/hybrid will do just get one with HDB's.

P.s.
Crossed with D8veh whilst composing reply.

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks, but have found somewhere else with the bbs02 in UK a bit cheaper.

Would this bike make a good candidate for a conversion?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hybrid-comp-bike
Looks OK to me, though you can never be 100% sure until you try it. I converted one of those with a hub-motor about 2 years ago. Assuming no changes, it has a standard bottom bracket, so no need for any adaptors.

Think about an extra rivnut to hold the battery if you go for a down-tube one.

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014
Thanks for the info, will only consider a UK supplier though, even if it works out 25% more.

Looking at getting this battery
http://eclipsebikes.com/12ah-lithium-frame-battery-samsung-cells-p-1123.html

And then this kit either when back instock or from elsewhere
http://eclipsebikes.com/bafang-8fun-bbs02b-drive-750w-motor-p-1100.html

Other than a toolkit with a crankarm puller, perhaps some velcro straps, and I presume some connectors for the battery (I should have a few 30a capable plugs from building quadcopters) is there anything else I'd require?

D

Deleted member 4366

Em3ev are a highly reputable and reliable supplier. They've been supplying us since long before any of the UK suppliers.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Recycler

Just Joined
Mar 4, 2017
The Pale Hibernia(n)
Thanks for the info, will only consider a UK supplier though, even if it works out 25% more.
A2B look good in the following story of a Lands End to John O'Groats (LEJOG) trip -

- https://pennyburgess59.wordpress.com/

Was surprised at how much more inspiring it was to watch, versus reading the same information - youtube of sourcing an ebay UK motor with controller and a battery.

(Memo to self: You are a mental single cell organism… ; ) )

- http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/non-legal-mountain-e-bike-with-good-torque-and-top-speed-that-is-under-1500-quid.27070/page-2#post-361791

D

Deleted member 4366

how does the warranty work for you?
I know that it would work perfectly, but they re-engineer all their stuff so that it doesn't go wrong. I don't think many people get a chance to test it. Why do you ask? Don't you know Em3ev?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
no, have never dealt with Paul.
In general, I try hard to discourage my customers derestricting their bikes or reprogram their kits. That increases the probability of troubles.
10% is OK but anything more than that, I start to fret.

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014
Before I press purchase, I'm director of a small limited company. Will confirm with accountant but instead of faffing about with the cycle to work scheme, I presume I could just purchase through company, say officially the bike is a pool bike, and then claim back vat?

Won't be used for business just commuting so not bothered about losing out on the 20ppm.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, you can do that (recover the VAT and use depreciation of plants & machinery to write off the bike) but the saving is more than double if you claw back NI and ENI through salary sacrifice.