Next ebike to buy

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014
How does that work then? If I'm ss'ing (already paying myself minimal salary for tax purposes) that might push me under some ni threshold. I'll speak to our accountant and see what he says.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you pay yourself a minimal amount, then buy the bike and pay with company's funds. If you are registered for VAT, then you can reclaim the VAT as you do with purchases of tools and other equipment. As the bike is expected to be used for 4 years and costing more than £500, you can post the purchase as plant and machinery, you write it off 25% per year for 4 years and remove it from your fixed assets after 4 years.

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014
Thank you. The bike itself is £300+vat, the motor and battery will add another £700 (I presume eclipse are vat registered too). Or are you giving me an incentive to find a bike costing over £500? :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I didn't know I did :eek:

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014
Have gone for the boardman, managed to haggle another 10% off too making it under £340, must be my dazzling personality.

Looks like I might have to order the bafang from china :eek: out of stock in uk unless you want to pay extortionate prices and I'm too impatient to wait till may.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
would you consider an SWX02 or rear BPM kit? I think they look better on the Boardman and have about 75%-80% of the pulling power of the BBS02 and better battery economy.

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014
Had my heart set on the 750w after reading and watching g hours of reviews and comparisons. Ordered from eBay, cost £500 but probably works out the same if ordering from China with import and vat.

Really impressed with the bike, although halfords thought 10% of 375 came to £358... Bloke seemed knowledgeable and was put together well, his colleague had fitted a bafang so gave me a couple of tips. Another bloke was instore too and had a cycling membership, offered him a tenner to use his discount but halfords having none of it! Shame, £300 would have been a steal!

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014
Finished building it today (well, apart from throttle, looks a faff taking off the brakes and gear selector) and gave it a test drive after uploading Karl's firmware and dropping max current to 20amps.

My God it's quick. My last ebike was some small wheeled 24v 250w machine, this is in a whole different league. Whole office now wants one!

The surge of power even on lowest 1 setting is amazing and cranked up to level 3, even at 20a is epic. Had huge smile on my face, i dont think there's a hill in Derbyshire this won't blast up.

Installing was surprisingly easy, i didn't know what a bottom bracket or crank was until the other day. My soldering skills are crap so might give it a sort out one day, and need to tidy up cabling, there's about 5 miles of cable included.

Really glad i spent weeks researching and didn't just go for some 1500w hub motor that wouldn't be anywhere near as good as the bbs02.

The Boardman hybrid made a pretty damn good donor bike, everything just fit nicely, and still stops dead.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Before I press purchase, I'm director of a small limited company. Will confirm with accountant but instead of faffing about with the cycle to work scheme, I presume I could just purchase through company, say officially the bike is a pool bike, and then claim back vat?

Won't be used for business just commuting so not bothered about losing out on the 20ppm.
correct!

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Finished building it today (well, apart from throttle, looks a faff taking off the brakes and gear selector) and gave it a test drive after uploading Karl's firmware and dropping max current to 20amps.

My God it's quick. My last ebike was some small wheeled 24v 250w machine, this is in a whole different league. Whole office now wants one!

The surge of power even on lowest 1 setting is amazing and cranked up to level 3, even at 20a is epic. Had huge smile on my face, i dont think there's a hill in Derbyshire this won't blast up.

Installing was surprisingly easy, i didn't know what a bottom bracket or crank was until the other day. My soldering skills are crap so might give it a sort out one day, and need to tidy up cabling, there's about 5 miles of cable included.

Really glad i spent weeks researching and didn't just go for some 1500w hub motor that wouldn't be anywhere near as good as the bbs02.

The Boardman hybrid made a pretty damn good donor bike, everything just fit nicely, and still stops dead.
Take a pic, let us see it.:)

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
What is the difference between bbs01 and bbs02?
I see Eclipse sell the bbs01 in 250w 36v . I was wondering if there was a bbs02 250w36v. Is it a model upgrade or is that the B suffix?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
all the new BBS have B suffix. They now use the same 9 FET controller but programmed differently.
The main difference is the diameter of the motor's rotor. BBS01B has smaller rotor.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is there such a thing as a bbs02 250w 36v or are all the 250w outputs a bbs01 ?
they are relabelled BBS02.
If you ask them nicely, they'll do that for you (on a large enough order).