Night Riders - Canal Routes

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
No, just sensible. One of our members did end up in the canal in 2012, e-bike and all. Link

And you nearly did, telling us about it on January 27th. Link
Yes , and that was in daylight! Not been on that way since.
They have been improving the tow path of late and I can now ride the 23 miles into Leeds reasonably safely but the other way to skipton and gargrave is still a bit if a challenge.
How do you find all these old posts? Can't be just a good memory...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes , and that was in daylight! Not been on that way since.
They have been improving the tow path of late and I can now ride the 23 miles into Leeds reasonably safely but the other way to skipton and gargrave is still a bit if a challenge.
How do you find all these old posts? Can't be just a good memory...
A lot of it is good memory since the Search facility isn't very good. It needs the just right search terms entered so I need to remember at least a couple of the words used at the time, preferably next to each other.

At least I knew that canal was one of the words!

Search is top of the dropdown list from Resources above.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
The leeds liverpool canal by me has sinage allowing cycling but warning pedestrisns have priority..
I'm going to have a look tomorrow at an access point local to me. Google maps shows some signs there but I can't read them.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
A few weeks ago offspring and I set off on the canal towards Leeds after dark, comming back after 9pm I was surprised by how many pedestrians there were, some walking dogs and others doing.. well not sure exactly what in the dark without a torch..

• Agree
Reactions: bigclick

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Hang on a minute, I've just been to the official canal waterways website and look what I've just found, does his mean I can cycle it? It shows up as a red dash (footpath) on opencycle maps.
towpath.PNG

Last edited:

gwing

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2008
Chiltern Hills
Looking at it logically.. What is the tow path for? Horses! Hoses = bridleways. Nuff said.
Indeed, and there is also a long and established canal working boat tradition where a bike is carried so that someone can cycle on ahead of the boat and ready the locks. 'Wheeling' I think they call it.

AFAIK all canal tow paths are open to bicycle traffic, private wharfes excepted.

• Informative
Reactions: awol

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Here's the towpath I found, proper deep mud with lots of high tree roots.
This section of the canal (to the side)has long since been dried up. The bike tyre marks in the mud were already there before me too. This would be great fun at night.
IMAG0005.jpg

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
The canal path loop I really enjoy is from Walsall to Birmingham on the Daw End, Rushall and Birmingham Tame canals, and then home via the New Main line and Walsall arm canal. It's about 32 miles and is a fun ride. However, after consideration, there are stretches that at night might be too risky, especially that last mile into Brindley Place where the steep narrow lock side paths are.

I might switch to Cannock Chase, it's a bit more of a logistical exercise because I would need to take the van and find car parking but in terms of safety it's probably best for me.

My lights are Exposures "MaxD" and "Joystick" so I suspect that if I am not seeing something it's because I have them setup wrong or I wouldn't see it anyway. BTW - I now have a moderately impressive bruise on my arm.

Thanks for sharing experiences and I appreciate the offers for group travel, much appreciated.

Related Articles

Advertisers