Night riding

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
If you need a good bike light, I recommend this one. It has 3 levels of light, all of which are very bright, and a flash function too. It last for well over 3 hours on the highest level. I gave it a 6 mile test last night on paths and tracks. I flicked through the light functions in the video, so you can see the different beam levels. Do you guys do night rides? Which lights do you have and are they any good? :)

Music, courtesy of my handlebar mp3 player. :)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
You will find that a few forum members don't even ride their e-mtb's in day time, so no hope of night riding. :D

The vast majority of my off road riding is carried out after daylight hours, and I'm usually out three to four evenings a week. Obviously the need for lights during summer use isn't quite so critical, but generally speaking, the lights stay fitted all year round.

The light of choice for me, is a Fenix BT20. The spread of the beam makes fastish off road night riding safer and easier when compared to the spot light effect of the cheapo cree lights, where the spot light effect of the beam works against you/me. The only downside of the Fenix as a standard, is that it only runs a two cell pack. I used to carry a second set of batteries, but have recently adapted things in order to run six or eight cell pack.

That's not to say that I don't use the cheap cree lights, and indeed I have two 1 Cree and one 4 cree lights. I tend to switch around depending upon where I am riding. I always keep a 1 cree in the Camelbak as a back up for the Fenix BT20.
With Cree lights for a full evening of riding, you really need at least a six cell 18650 battery pack, and not four.

A 1 Cree light is also useful when helmet mounted, but I don't ever mount anything to the helmet, as the risk of head/neck injury is too great. Much of my riding involves tight technical terrain, and as things stand, the helmet is also clouting low hanging branches. Even the Camebak often takes an unhealthy whack.

Cheap Cree lights aren't free of problems, but given the quantity produced and the price, you can't go wrong as a general purpose light. Problems include, water ingress behind the lens, mounting screws that work loose, tight or loose connectors, and the Velcro strap on the battery cover breaks off. But as said, given the price of the lights, these problems aren't a worry or concern.

I'm not worried about the quality of rear light for my riding, and just buy a box of cheap as chips lights direct from China using Ebay, and pretty much throw a light away after a few months of use. I've either lost or damaged too many rear lights, to want to spend out for one. I do keep a spare light in the rucksack as well though, which has now been used on two occasions.

The first two of the following clips are slightly unfair, as the red rear light of the bike in front is throwing the camera light sensor.

One cree. Wet ride, with short trip along a stream bed at 3.55 point.

Two single cree lights

Four Cree. Another wet ride. The beam is too focussed.

Four cree plus one Cree. Yet another wet ride.

I only have a crap clip of the Fenix in use, but here is the promo clip. The strobe mode is just plain dangerous to other road users. Also the beam is more yellow than bright white as shown. Not sure how they achieved that.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
mine looks like its not even on lol sure you in bed by that time edd ;)

Reactions: LeighPing

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I couldn't add this to the above post.

This doesn't do the Fenix any justice, but you do get to see a deer at about the 35 sec point.
Deer are my greatest hazard when night riding. Every ride seems to have them running out across my path.

I would have been out again tonight, but decided that with the Wiggle ride tomorrow, that I'd give it a miss.

Typical night rides.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i dont think his bike is bosch unless they changed the settings to do it in the menu with a update?

Advertisers