Non-legal mountain e-bike with good torque and top speed that is under 1500 quid?

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
I think there are a few bikes about that have a switch on so you can have more power for when you are on private land, I don't know any makes but I have seen them for sale on ebay, not sure if this will be any good to you.
I think that with mid-drive motors, if you don't install the sensor that tracks wheel RPMs on the wheel but instead place it on the pedal itself, you can fool the system into thinking you are going a lot slower than you really are.

Perhaps this is a quick and easy way to raise the speed limit without messing with the controller.

• Offensive Language
Reactions: STEVEMANFA

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I think that with mid-drive motors, if you don't install the sensor that tracks wheel RPMs on the wheel but instead place it on the pedal itself, you can fool the system into thinking you are going a lot slower than you really are.

Perhaps this is a quick and easy way to raise the speed limit without messing with the controller.
Doesn't' work for Bosch or shimano steps.

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
IF I was going to ride around on an illegal ebike, I'd want to know it was capable of stopping quickly and handle the power it's provided with. The bikes in the price range you're looking at are normal mtb's with a powerful motor strapped to them. A recipe for disaster imo! Save up some money and get something like one of these and enjoy yourself a while before it gets confiscated.revolution-white-x.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: IR772 and LeighPing

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
IF I was going to ride around on an illegal ebike, I'd want to know it was capable of stopping quickly and handle the power it's provided with. The bikes in the price range you're looking at are normal mtb's with a powerful motor strapped to them. A recipe for disaster imo! Save up some money and get something like one of these and enjoy yourself a while before it gets confiscated.View attachment 18026
Why is it a recipe for disaster?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
It isn't. That's just another typical overreaction. Making such a sweeping statement about 'illegal bikes' takes away from any merit the point might have actually had.

At the cheaper end of the market, you might even find a steel frame which could be a great candidate for having a powerful motor attached. As long as the brakes are up to the task (hydro disks are preferred IMO) and the motor torque is adequately managed, there shouldn't be any issues.

Last edited:

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Danielrlee, the only bike at the cheaper end of the market (with a 750/1000w motor strapped to it) I would get on, would be like the one in your avatar!
Come on, the bike in my avatar is already at the peak of performance!

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
You sound like a responsible rider who has some element of road safety conscience. Generally, that will save you from any incidents that might bring you trouble and have a knock on effect. Perceived, or otherwise.

Driving to work last Sunday morning, I clocked a road crew of roughly 20 racing cyclists doing 40 mph plus. Nobody seems to trouble them, and their bikes are like sticks of spaghetti, built ultra-lightweight for one reason only.. Speed. With tyres just as thin, I don't see them stopping in any shorter a distance than any well built, robust ebike.

But of course, speed isn't the issue with bikes at all. It's all about perceptions, how you ride and the application of the laws really. 1500w ebikes aren't discreet either. A clued up copper can spot one a mile away.

I find that riding a 250w motored bike, than can go equally as fast as a bigger lump, is much more relaxing.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
IF I was going to ride around on an illegal ebike, I'd want to know it was capable of stopping quickly and handle the power it's provided with. The bikes in the price range you're looking at are normal mtb's with a powerful motor strapped to them. A recipe for disaster imo! Save up some money and get something like one of these and enjoy yourself a while before it gets confiscated.View attachment 18026
I hope my first comment about this post didn't sound too dismissive. You do actually make a good point about making sure the bike is suitable for the task, whatever the budget. Perversely though, it's often the more exotic high end bikes that prove unsuitable candidates for a conversion.

Last edited:

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014
This forum doesn't seem too dissimilar to rcgroups. A few years ago you could build RC planes capable of flying 50 miles or so and do it all within the law. You'd get kids and adults coming over with interest to see your screen and ask questions on how far and high you can fly and generally amazed at what off the shelf components can do. Then cheap sub £1000 GPS camera equipped quadcopters arrived, far simpler to setup, maintain, incredible performance and lifting capability, but also meant a tiny minority who are idiots - the types who would buy a flashy 5kw ebike and go 50mph, could get in to the hobby without knowing the rules, or having any training or experience and then ruin it for everyone else

They're the only ones you ever hear about in the news, flying over airports, around peoples gardens etc. Now the hobby is being heavily legislated, quads like mine capable of flying FPV which were perfectly safe one day now ruled highly illegal, in parks we now get hounded out by the same people who used to watch with interest, and regular forum members looking down at disdain at new members wanting to buy a dji phantom etc or asking questions on how fast, how far or how much weight something can lift. I can see it from both points of view, the tiny reckless minority will probably sooner or later ruin ebikes as it takes off over the next few years, just like it has with RC, but members like minime (and myself) who are going in to this with their eyes open, not intending on blasting around at 30mph drawing attention to themselves and well aware of UK/EU laws are genuinely looking for advice on what plenty of other ebikers have achieved but perhaps not as willing to share in a public forum.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
This forum doesn't seem too dissimilar to rcgroups. A few years ago you could build RC planes capable of flying 50 miles or so and do it all within the law. You'd get kids and adults coming over with interest to see your screen and ask questions on how far and high you can fly and generally amazed at what off the shelf components can do. Then cheap sub £1000 GPS camera equipped quadcopters arrived, far simpler to setup, maintain, incredible performance and lifting capability, but also meant a tiny minority who are idiots - the types who would buy a flashy 5kw ebike and go 50mph, could get in to the hobby without knowing the rules, or having any training or experience and then ruin it for everyone else

They're the only ones you ever hear about in the news, flying over airports, around peoples gardens etc. Now the hobby is being heavily legislated, quads like mine capable of flying FPV which were perfectly safe one day now ruled highly illegal, in parks we now get hounded out by the same people who used to watch with interest, and regular forum members looking down at disdain at new members wanting to buy a dji phantom etc or asking questions on how fast, how far or how much weight something can lift. I can see it from both points of view, the tiny reckless minority will probably sooner or later ruin ebikes as it takes off over the next few years, just like it has with RC, but members like minime (and myself) who are going in to this with their eyes open, not intending on blasting around at 30mph drawing attention to themselves and well aware of UK/EU laws are genuinely looking for advice on what plenty of other ebikers have achieved but perhaps not as willing to share in a public forum.
I'm not sure that this is relevant to electric bikes though. Pedelecs are already regulated - their status and usage being defined in law quite clearly. Illegal electric bikes are classed as a moped/motorcycle by law, so any judgement against them will be made on the basis of riding an uninsured, untaxed and unlicensed moped/motorcycle.

I guess that all electric bikes could be banned outright in the future, but when you consider how cars are regularly misused and not banned, can you ever see this happening to pedelecs? No, me neither.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Illegal electric bikes are classed as a moped/motorcycle by law, so any judgement will be made on this basis.
agreed.
However, there is currently no legal way to turn a legal e-bike into a motorbike.
Otherwise, I would have no objection to derestriction.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I'm not sure that this is relevant to electric bikes though. Pedelecs are already regulated - their status and usage being defined in law quite clearly. Illegal electric bikes are classed as a moped/motorcycle by law, so any judgement against them will be made on the basis of riding an uninsured, untaxed and unlicensed moped/motorcycle.

I guess that all electric bikes could be banned outright in the future, but when you consider how cars are regularly misused and not banned, can you ever see this happening to pedelecs? No, me neither.
The RC flying world was legislated, some people went over the top and now a higher level of scrutiny is being applied.
That's the worry about ebikes, go out and act the fool with limited knowledge and ruin it for everyone else.
Total ban no but far more restrictive approach to the current regulations is possible and arguably likely.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
The RC flying world was legislated, some people went over the top and now a higher level of scrutiny is being applied.
That's the worry about ebikes, go out and act the fool with limited knowledge and ruin it for everyone else.
Total ban no but far more restrictive approach to the current regulations is possible and arguably likely.
I might be missing something here, but how could they be further regulated in a way that makes any difference though, especially since laws already exist to prosecute if the crown wishes to do so? In addition, anyone who is already riding illegally, isn't going to comply with further restrictions

• Agree

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I might be missing something here, but how could they be further regulated in a way that makes any difference though, especially since laws already exist to prosecute if the crown wishes to do so? In addition, anyone who is already riding illegally, isn't going to comply with further restrictions
We are missing plod with a speed gun on cycle paths and bans on electric bikes on private land. Vehicle and licensing agency spot checks and any other nause they could throw in the name of protecting the elderly from unlicensed motorbikes.

• :D

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Don't worry Dave, you'll have croaked it of old age long before anything like that happens :rolleyes:
Possibly before the weekend the way I'm feeling

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
We are missing plod with a speed gun on cycle paths and bans on electric bikes on private land. Vehicle and licensing agency spot checks and any other nause they could throw in the name of protecting the elderly from unlicensed motorbikes.
What would any of those (unlikely) measures achieve when the legislation required to prosecute already exists?

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014

Plenty of people have removed/blocked off the DPF on their older diesel car - now its illegal to drive (although I imagine most won't be aware of that)

The m1 north from where I live looks like it might become 60mph. Govt won't ban cars (at least not until they've cracked self driving ones), just like they won't ban smoking or drinking due to the revenue it brings in. But it could introduce further limits on cycling.
What would any of those (unlikely) measures achieve when the legislation required to prosecute already exists?
They could force all electric assisted bikes to have insurance, or riders must have a licence, ban imports of motors capable of producing 251w or more. As with my example of quadcopters we're already banned from going more than 120m up and line of sight out (despite FPV and range of 2 miles), and we might have to register our drones and carry a serial code if it's over 250g, and get a proper flight licence costing thousands of we want to fly something approaching decent and generally kill off the industry.

Will it stop the people who fly over airports or over groups of people? No, will just affect those who follow the rules.

It will be just a matter of time.

• Informative