Noob questions.

Airtime

Just Joined
Sep 6, 2017
Reading
Hi Guys

Great forum. I'm hoping you can advise on the best way forward for me to convert my 2008 Scott Aspect 45 into a trail ebike?

I've test ridden the Yamaha, Bosch and Steps mid-drive systems and been very impressed with the performance of these units.I'm looking to fit something very similar to my old trusty trail bike and my research so far is pointing towards the Bafang BBS01 kits.

Does anyone know how close this system is to the 'feel' of the above mentioned systems, specifically as it does not sense torque as an input?

Can this system be fitted without the thumb throttle and brake sensors?

Does anyone have a BBS01 or 02 system local to me (Reading, Berkshire) that I could test ride?

Many thanks
Gary

David Hazle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 16, 2017
Uk
I'm a newcomer in these parts myself, so not a great depth of knowledge, but I think I can help on one or two areas.

I bought the Bafang BBS02 and have currently installed it without the brake sensors, it works perfectly, although I do intend to install them when I can be bothered in case there's some scenario I haven't thought about that would leave me fighting against an active motor.

I did install the throttle and have to admit that it can be good fun when my legs get a bit tired (although a bit of a work-around with dropped bars!)

I've never used a torque sensing system, but I have found that the correct combination of power setting and gear selection means that you are still actively contributing to your progress in what feels like a natural way. The "I am superman" effect of full power is also fun but definitely doesn't feel natural IMHO.