Noob Torque question

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Watts is how many amps times voltage.
Batteries have a rated storage yours is 8.8 amp hours.
It should be able to supply 15amps for half an hour then the battery is empty.
If you do get greater current draw then the battery won't even last that long.
A bigger battery will give improved range for the same power.
Upping the current risks burning the motor out as well.
You have issues but pedalling is simplest way to improve performance.
Despite my health issues I've been able to average over 20kph without any assistance. Add the battery and it's over 30kph

bigbobwolves

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 18, 2017
wolverhampton
Watts is how many amps times voltage.
Batteries have a rated storage yours is 8.8 amp hours.
It should be able to supply 15amps for half an hour then the battery is empty.
If you do get greater current draw then the battery won't even last that long.
A bigger battery will give improved range for the same power.
Upping the current risks burning the motor out as well.
You have issues but pedalling is simplest way to improve performance.
Despite my health issues I've been able to average over 20kph without any assistance. Add the battery and it's over 30kph
not sure where i would get a higher power battery for my bike, did wonder about having 2 more of these battery's wired from saddle bags, if i do it wright i sould have 3x8.8 , but if i do it wrong i get 3x36 volts and a bang

D

Deleted member 4366

In the case of your bike, there's very little that can easily be done to increase the torque because the controller is in that compartment at the bottom of the battery and they're normally potted in silicone, so you can't change anything.

You have two options, basically:
1. Get your rear wheel rebuilt into a 24" rim, which will give you nearly 10% more torque. That would be a good solution if you're a small guy.
2. Get a new motor with a lower winding speed (max rpm). 185 rpm would be ideal, but anything up to 201 rpm. Do you know how fast the wheel spins (MPH) when off the ground?

This will do the job nicely, but it'll cost about £300 by the time you've paid for shipping and duty. You get a nice LCD with 5 levels of assist and everything you need. It uses the standard 9-pin motor connector, so check which one you have first:

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/784-48v116ah-case-08-bottle-panasonic-battery-pack-battery.html

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

bigbobwolves

Feb 18, 2017
wolverhampton
i have looked at ebay there are some 1500w bikes complete for £900 for off road use, these are tempting, but no after sales and its a lot to risk, so unless i find local ebike builder i may have to stick with what i have,

Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
i have looked at ebay there are some 1500w bikes complete for £900 for off road use, these are tempting, but no after sales and its a lot to risk, so unless i find local ebike builder i may have to stick with what i have,
Those are direct drive motors, geared hub is better on hills.

bigbobwolves

Feb 18, 2017
wolverhampton
In the case of your bike, there's very little that can easily be done to increase the torque because the controller is in that compartment at the bottom of the battery and they're normally potted in silicone, so you can't change anything.

You have two options, basically:
1. Get your rear wheel rebuilt into a 24" rim, which will give you nearly 10% more torque. That would be a good solution if you're a small guy.
2. Get a new motor with a lower winding speed (max rpm). 185 rpm would be ideal, but anything up to 201 rpm. Do you know how fast the wheel spins (MPH) when off the ground?

This will do the job nicely, but it'll cost about £300 by the time you've paid for shipping and duty. You get a nice LCD with 5 levels of assist and everything you need. It uses the standard 9-pin motor connector, so check which one you have first:

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/784-48v116ah-case-08-bottle-panasonic-battery-pack-battery.html
thx, I need a local ebike builder I think

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
i know the mid drive have more torque, but all the you tube vids I watch they make clonking noise when you change gear, plus they are more expensive,need local bike shop of ebike builder near wolves. thx
You get geared hub drives. The stuff sold by woosh whisper etc use them. You even get two speed hub drives D8veh has come up iron bridge on one.
The direct drives tend to burst into flames trying that.

bigbobwolves

Feb 18, 2017
wolverhampton
You get geared hub drives. The stuff sold by woosh whisper etc use them. You even get two speed hub drives D8veh has come up iron bridge on one.
The direct drives tend to burst into flames trying that.
I will be looking into mid drive bikes, if I can get one from shop at the right price

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Geared hub is not mid drive.

Mid drive is good too though.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
i know the mid drive have more torque, but all the you tube vids I watch they make clonking noise when you change gear, plus they are more expensive,need local bike shop of ebike builder near wolves. thx
Gear changing on factory mid drives is not really an issue. Just back off while you change, doesn't take long to get hang of. In case of kit Bafang mid drives, there are kits that detect gear change and reduce power to motor. They use a sensor on gear change cable.

NB Bosch drives also support this feature but not all ebike manufactures implement it.

Related Articles

Advertisers