normal thread

ArthurR

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 22, 2017
Scotland
Hi I am Arthur I am 77yrs. old and have been riding all my life. A couple of years ago I found that age had caught up with me but I did not want to stop riding so I went electric to help me get out on the road. Unfortunately I had a heart attack last August and now am not as steady as I was but I still want to get out biking if possible so I bought an electric trike which seems quite good. However I was informed that They would not supply one with a throttle owing to new regulations. I have been told that I should be able to fit a throttle to this unit and was wondering if anyone could explain how this can be done. I have had a look in the housing where the controller is and there is one connection that is not used in there It has a larger white connector on with 2 pins inside. There is a back wire and a red wire leading into this connector. and I was wondering If this was originally the connector for the throttle. It would be great if someone could give me some info on this. By the way I think the unit is a BAFANG as the no on the hub motor iBFSWXB36v250w 170R. Thanks Arthur

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hello Arthur :)

Can't help you with the throttle electrickery, so it's just a hello from me. Someone'll be along in a bit who knows the clever stuff, I'm sure.

Gaz

ArthurR

Feb 22, 2017
Scotland
Hello Arthur :)

Can't help you with the throttle electrickery, so it's just a hello from me. Someone'll be along in a bit who knows the clever stuff, I'm sure.

Gaz
Thanks a lot its good to know I've been noticed though thanks for the welcome Art.

Reactions: Gaz

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have had a look in the housing where the controller is and there is one connection that is not used in there It has a larger white connector on with 2 pins inside. There is a back wire and a red wire leading into this connector. and I was wondering If this was originally the connector for the throttle. It would be great if someone could give me some info on this.
A throttle normally needs three connections Arthur, 5 volt, ground and signal. This is probably one for the experience of d8veh and hopefully he'll spot the thread. Meanwhile if you are able to post a clear photo of the controller internals it might be helpful in determining whether a throttle is possible,

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Throttle as flecc has said has 3 pins/wires. A pic of the controller and wires from the controller nicely spread/layed out will be of great help.

ArthurR

Feb 22, 2017
Scotland
A throttle normally needs three connections Arthur, 5 volt, ground and signal. This is probably one for the experience of d8veh and hopefully he'll spot the thread. Meanwhile if you are able to post a clear photo of the controller internals it might be helpful in determining whether a throttle is possible,
Thanks for the note I am not sure how to post a picture though still struggle to get around the site you will have guessed that I am not very good with I.T. Still thanks for the interest and taking time to answer Arthur

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the note I am not sure how to post a picture though still struggle to get around the site you will have guessed that I am not very good with I.T. Still thanks for the interest and taking time to answer Arthur
When you post a reply Arthur, there's three buttons at the foot of the reply box. The middle one is Upload a File, so you can use that to navigate to your photo on your computer etc and then upload it, following the instructions. Then finally use the Post Reply button.

ArthurR

Feb 22, 2017
Scotland
When you post a reply Arthur, there's three buttons at the foot of the reply box. The middle one is Upload a File, so you can use that to navigate to your photo on your computer etc and then upload it, following the instructions. Then finally use the Post Reply button.
Hi flecc you are being very helpful will need to look at it tomorrow thanks again for your time and info Arthur

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Hi Arthur,. Unable to help with technical advice although there are plenty of knowledgable members able to; good to see that recent health problems hasn't dampened your enthusiasm to keep getting out on the bike so good on ya !

• Agree
Reactions: mw1

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi Arthur and welcome

Is the controller housing separate from the battery holder or contained within it (again pictures speak a thousand words !)

The reason I ask is that if it it is separate AND for some reason your current controller won't accept a throttle then you could change to one that does not very little money. Batteries are very expensive, motors a little expensive , all other parts are pretty cheap. And your motor is very common one so easy to find new , compatible parts

Cheers

ArthurR

Feb 22, 2017
Scotland
Hi Arthur,. Unable to help with technical advice although there are plenty of knowledgable members able to; good to see that recent health problems hasn't dampened your enthusiasm to keep getting out on the bike so good on ya !
Thanks for the reply and compliment. I have started to build another Trike and add a motor to it with a throttle but thanks anyway. Arthur

ArthurR

Feb 22, 2017
Scotland
Hi Arthur and welcome

Is the controller housing separate from the battery holder or contained within it (again pictures speak a thousand words !)

The reason I ask is that if it it is separate AND for some reason your current controller won't accept a throttle then you could change to one that does not very little money. Batteries are very expensive, motors a little expensive , all other parts are pretty cheap. And your motor is very common one so easy to find new , compatible parts

Cheers
Hi Kirstin thanks for taking the time to respond. Your suggestion sounds great I never thought of going down that route. The controller just sits in a compartment at the bottom of the down tube. I think it is completely separate as you can just pull all the plugs out and it is free. I think the reason that it won't accept a throttle may be the fact that new regulations don't allow new vehicles to be fitted with a throttle. However I decided to go down a different route I have bought a new trike and have just bought a Golden Motor Magic Pie 4. Daft isn't it but on this unit I had to pay extra for the PEDLEC as this only comes with a throttle as standard. (Total turnaround.) A bit more expensive than your idea though. In future though I may try to upgrade to the Bafang mid drive system if it will fit on the Amacco Trike. Thanks again for your help I may still look into it then I can have a spare trike if I wreck one . Best wishes Arthur.