Not owned a bike for 12 years, lots of questions before I buy....

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
Ha, it's my bad I really know nothing about bikes...

So I'm very confused now . I like the look of the oxygen MTB and it seems a rack can be put on back (although looks sold out).

How would the hybrid bikes perform on say a dirt trail through the park? Or is that a no go are they really just road bikes?
In my opinion, Hybrids are a compromise - not a road bike and not a mountain bike. Regular hybrids have found a niche in commuting as they are more sturdy than a road bike but not as heavy and freer-running than an MTB. However, once you stick a motor on them the argument for a hybrid becomes much more a matter of style than of practicality. There is very little weight difference if you look at bikes made by the same manufacturer. They both work fine for commuting. MTBs often have wider handlebars which are great for extra balance (perfect when waiting at junctions) but make squeezing through gaps a little trickier; Hybrids have more options in terms of mudguards and racks.

Any hybrid should be fine on a gentle trail but not as much fun as a good MTB. I chose an MTB because my commute is particularly hilly and it's a more flexible choice. Whatever you choose, be happy!

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Hi Mark, try looking into the Wisper range they have dealers scattered about and customer service is good, I have had a Wisper 905se for over a year now and done over a 1000miles around the Peak District with some mega steep hills and the bike has been more than up to the job. Cheers Steve W...

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
You can either use the existing seat on the Suntour seat post or better still change the seat and use the Suntour.
A comfy seat is not usually enough on its own given the state of the UK's roads.
The Suntour seat post makes it feel like you have full rear suspension.

The Woosh Rio is a good bike, but personally I would go for the Oxygen MTB because of the additional gears.
You may be perfectly okay with the Rio on your hills, but what happens if you find that you need additional lower gears?

mark taylor

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 6, 2018
Thanks again everyone for you opinions.

Another stupid question.. if I put the road tyres on mentioned on this thread, would this remove the ability to go off road?

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11

Another stupid question.. if I put the road tyres on mentioned on this thread, would this remove the ability to go off road?
You'd lose grip and be more vulnerable to thorns etc but you'd still have the suspension etc. Seriously though, I'd suck it and see first before planning changes

Nefarious

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2016
South Yorkshire; S11
If you do decide on a mountain bike, just make sure it comes with a dropper post - the higher ground clearance means that it's not really always practical to stop in a seated position without one - they're not just for downhill racers!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You may be perfectly okay with the Rio on your hills, but what happens if you find that you need additional lower gears?
I can see your point but seriously, how steep is the hill before you run out of gear on the 44T chainring and 34T rear cog? Bearing in mind that the Rio MTB and the Rio LS both have 17A controller and the Bafang G06 on the Rio LS can develop serious torque, you shouldn't have to pedal very hard in the first place.
BTW, the Rio LS fat bike is fitted with 3" tyres, not 4" tyres like the majority of fat bikes. The Kenda Kinipton tyres at 25-30 psi also roll very well on tarmac'eed roads. For that reason, it rides more like bikes fitted with '26" Plus' tyres. Indeed, you can fit 2.3" tyres to the Rio LS if you wish. You can pedal quite easily the Rio LS on tarmac'ed road without power, very unlike most fat bikes.
I recommend 25-30 psi for tarmac'ed road, 15-20psi for snow,

Kenda Kiniption 26" x 3":

The huge Bafang G06 code 10 motor on the Rio LS:

Last edited:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ

You can swap tyres between rides, but it's time consuming especially with hubdrive.

For middrive MTB, buying 2nd set of wheels with offroad tyres is simpler option. Budget for disks and cassette. If running mudguards these may need to be removed depending on tyre clearance and type of riding.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Jonphelps

Just Joined
Jul 19, 2018
Hi,

I was in the same place 5 weeks ago. Wanted a mountain bike style for on road commute 8 miles each way with hills and the possibility of some cyle/canal path weekend riding. 48 years old 5'8" 18st 4lb and extremely unfit.
Considered the Oxygen Mtb, Westhill Ghost and finally settled on the Batribike Delta. The Oxygen was not available in Bath or Bristol to try, and Oxygen were of no help when i contacted them, that left the Westhill and the Batribike. Looking at both bikes the Batribike was slightly taller with a more upright riding style which suited me. Downsides, no sidestand, no rear rack, no lights. Aftermarket side stand, rack and lights fitted from ebay for approx £35-40.
In the last 5 weeks since having the bike i have cycled most days to work, taking the car only when needing to. The drive to work usually takes about 20mins cycling about 40.
My fitness level has already noticeably increased and people are saying that i look better in myself. I have also lost about 6-8lb in weight, not much but a start. I am less grumpy and find myself taking more time to play with the kids due to the increase in energy.
Last weekend saw a 26 mile ride on cycle/canal paths which i would not have dreamed of two months ago with minimum power assist and used less than one bar battery. On my daily commute of 16 miles i usually use half the battery power in full assist mode.
With the fitness in mind i wanted a bike that i could ride without the battery and the Batribike with 27 gears fitted the bill. Pedalling gently on the flat it is effortless to maintain 10-12 mph, with the power on full 18-20 mph. Uphill you have to pedal but hills that used to have me struggling for breath just walking up i now ride up on full assist in minutes.
The tyres on the Batribike are 29 inch 2.25 wide and i would not want any bigger tyres for everyday use.
I have used mine in the rain (not too heavy but lots of spray and deep puddles) but take it inside at home and at work and wipe most of the water off.
Will put a photo of bike up later but cannot recommend enough, whatever bike you get.

Reactions: Nev

mark taylor

Sep 6, 2018
Wow you are literally in the same position as me (well you were but now you seem to be much fitter than me).

I think I am now in a position to say I will be getting a MTB and now it is more about value for my money.
I'm not an extreme biker (not rode per the title) and after speaking to the wife it seems a better idea to get most for money now and if I get the bug then upgrade next year. At least then if I don't stick it I ahvent wasted more money o_O.

So I think it is a flip up between
Woosh Rio MTB with 17ah £1,269

Oxygen s cross MTB with 13ah £1,499

So I understand that the woosh has less gears (or was that just the fat bike?). But would I need them?

The appeal of the Rio MTB to me the uneducated is the bigger battery ( can go further) and the lower price it also seems to come with rack etc that I would need to add to oxygen.

Will they both be the same speed? Can I ride the woosh if the battery dies?

Then finally on the woosh are the tyres ok? It says Kevlar on the site which makes me think puncture proof? Would I be able to do off road?

Again thank you everyone already for all your help (sorry for being a pain)

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
The Rio MTB is better value and has the larger capacity battery for superior range. Hopefully the Rio’s 8 gears will cope with your hills.

Both bikes have the same 25 kph (15.5 mph) cut-off and both can be ridden in the event of battery failure.

The Rio is fitted with chunky Kenda (manufacturer) Kevlar (puncture resistant material) MTB tyres as standard and are designed for off-road use.

They are unsuitable for the road where you are going to be using it mostly for commuting. For road use, ask Woosh to fit some Schwalbe Marathon Plus (SmartGuard) road tyres.

mark taylor

Sep 6, 2018
Ok so really I'm best getting the woosh Mtb with road tyres.

If at some point I want to off road I will need to get either different tyres or a second bike?

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
If at some point I want to off road I will need to get either different tyres or a second bike?

That's about the size of it.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Your final decision should be based on test ride as your body doesn't care about facts and figures, just how bike feels.