Not sure if I should Convert or Buy off the shelf

Darranna

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2017
South Essex
Hi all,

Your expertise is required, I recently purchased a Carrera Crossfire 2 and I'm really happy with it. I have made a few additions to suit my personal preference.

However, I have decided to either convert my existing bike or purchase an off the peg bike and this is where I need your help.

Some details first, I live on an Island in the Thames Estuary, where some parts are below sea level and riding around the island is easy (no hills) but to get off the island there are two possible routes.

Both routes features hills, one is a 2 mile gradual gradient which is a 50 MPH single carriageway, the other is a steeper but shorter single carriageway that has a bend in the middle and is 60 MPH. The last thing you want to be doing on either route is snaking all over the road due to being knackered. The longer road doesn't even have a footpath.

I'm 51, 90 KGs and 5' 9" but with only a 28" inside leg. The bikes are used for casual recreation work only, as I don't commute.

The reason for considering the transition to pedelec is 1) to permit to go further, but also my wife can also use the eBike around the island and she will be able to keep up with me on my un-assisted bike.

We have two trips booked for a little later this year and I plan on taking two bikes to Germany and South Wales. The bikes will have to fit on a towball mount as my car is a coupe. Therefore weight is a consideration.

I have looked and various bikes on many, many web pages and one theme that seems fairly consistent is the bike manufacturers seem to have an excess of matt black paint. I would only be looking for a light coloured bike, like the one I already own.

I'm open to drive options although I have been advised to look at Rear hub or mid drive for overall usability.

Another important factor for me and in this order is usability (so needs to be an allrounder and able to climb hills), distance (ideally 50 mile range) and then speed at least be able to maintain 15 mph.

One thing I don't want to do is buy something and then have to spend more money on upgrading batteries etc. One bike that did appeal (except the colour) was the Greenway bike but they don't appear to be available currently.IMG_0434.JPGIMG_0431.JPG

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
A Bafang BBSHD crank motor with a high capacity battery in a frame bag fitted to your present bike would be a good option,i have just fitted the same to a Specialized Rockhopper expert.

Darranna

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2017
South Essex
A Bafang BBSHD crank motor with a high capacity battery in a frame bag fitted to your present bike would be a good option,i have just fitted the same to a Specialized Rockhopper expert.
Hi thanks for the prompt reply.

I would be more interested in a tube mounted battery rather than a bag (personal choice).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I'd be inclined to go for the Carrera Vulcan over that one. Better brakes (hydraulic) and aguably a better hub drive & components (Suntour HESC). With British Cycling discount (10%) and/or Halfords code BIKES10 (10% discount) (or both) you 'll see it less than £800 (both discounts). Take off another 30-40 quid quidco cashback

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/carrera-vulcan-electric-mountain-bike

Last edited:

Darranna

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2017
South Essex
Bewo crank drive 250 or 350w a bit like the Bafang BBS01 but believe it is Torque sensor driven no throttle or pas, gives power the more you pedal.

How many miles do wish to cover and your use.
It's difficult to say until I actually have the bike. It's not a commuter, just weekend and holiday rides. Having said that I could see it being a 50 mile round trip.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Carrera 11.6ah battery 25- 40 miles though 50 may be possible on very low assist.
My 11ah with 22F 's has managed 45 miles on a few occasions but range typically is 30 -38 depending on which assist I have it in. The 22F 's aren't a top cell but average ones if the OEM battery had 22P 's then reckon 45 would still be on the cards.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's difficult to say until I actually have the bike. It's not a commuter, just weekend and holiday rides. Having said that I could see it being a 50 mile round trip.
For 50 miles 15 -18ah with top 10a discharge cells is the way to go, they will perform better, run cooler and last longer then a cell rated at 4 - 6a. Battery sag will be less and internal resistance will be better, its internal battery heat that kills a battery causing the IR and loss of capacity.
Look for Samsung 30Q cells from OEM batteries. Luna in California swear by 4 cells Sanyo PF or GA and Samsung 25R or 30Q all top cells.
OEM batteries aren't cheap yet makers/get away with using average cells instead of the very good top cells that can handle 10/15 or 20a.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

If you like to do your own thing, be self-sufficient and fix your own things, do a conversion. If you prefer to let dealers sort things out for you, buy a ready-made bike.

The Carrera bikes are limited to 15 mph and can't be derestricted - if that's important for you.

Darranna

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2017
South Essex
If you like to do your own thing, be self-sufficient and fix your own things, do a conversion. If you prefer to let dealers sort things out for you, buy a ready-made bike.

The Carrera bikes are limited to 15 mph and can't be derestricted - if that's important for you.
Thanks Dave,

Where would be the best place to get a full kit? Dillenger offer a complete kit including battery but it does seem to be on the expensive side.

Also from your experience should I go for Rear hub or mid drive?

I don't think I would want anything more than 500 Watt Motor although a 250 will probably be more than adequate for my purpose.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
In the last 18 months or so I have had two converted bikes and two off the shelf. By far the best of the four is my off-the-shelf Oxygen eMate MTB. The much cheaper Woosh Sirocco fell apart under me gradually and the two converted bikes conked out with dodgy controllers.

I've had issues with my Oxygen, but had them fixed by the dealer/maker, so for peace of mind - if you can afford it - my recommendation is to buy off the shelf.

The superseded Oxygen will do 25MPH on the flat with pedal assistance in Power mode, but range at that speed will be limited. I use it on level 5 of 18 and get 30 miles riding at an average speed of 18-19MPH. I'm hoping to get a lot more range when I ride slower on my summer tour.

Darranna

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2017
South Essex
In the last 18 months or so I have had two converted bikes and two off the shelf. By far the best of the four is my off-the-shelf Oxygen eMate MTB. The much cheaper Woosh Sirocco fell apart under me gradually and the two converted bikes conked out with dodgy controllers.

I've had issues with my Oxygen, but had them fixed by the dealer/maker, so for peace of mind - if you can afford it - my recommendation is to buy off the shelf.

The superseded Oxygen will do 25MPH on the flat with pedal assistance in Power mode, but range at that speed will be limited. I use it on level 5 of 18 and get 30 miles riding at an average speed of 18-19MPH. I'm hoping to get a lot more range when I ride slower on my summer tour.
Hi Warwick,

I did read your extensive review of the Oxygen eMate and I was quite taken with it and it appears to modular in as much as of it can be changed. While the newer (current) model appears to be more restrictive in terms of battery upgrade etc.

I have sent a message to the chap selling the one in the classifieds, but no response yet.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have at the moment a second hand Woosh Krieger with only 85 miles on the clock, will be sold with 1 year guarantee for £749. It is a crank drive, excellent on hills.
We are not far from you. May be worth a look?

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?secondhand

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi frank,
do you still ride the Tonaro?

adifrank

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2012
Canvey Island
Hi frank,
do you still ride the Tonaro?
Sure do, its been modified a bit as in gas shocks, better wheels and tyres
Avid brakes, and just had a spare battery recelled by Jimmy at insat
nice guy.
Just changed the chainring which involves dismantling the gearbox for one with a couple more teeth.
I did pop in a couple of weeks ago but Hatti was busy.

oops sri didnt mean to hijack the thread apologies.
frank..

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
do pop in for a cuppa one of these Saturdays...