OK, so if want oil my chain!

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
This post is aimed at those that keep their bikes super clean and trailworthy.. Yes, you know who you are!.. Just a normal run of the mill service but as we can't backpedal the chainset it's a bit of a pain to do.
Yes I have a bike stand, and yes I can use that but in my small garage i have a car, 2 bikes, a lawn mower, leaf blower, rotovator, tools cabinet and much more so stand is packed away and not so easilly accessible.
What i realy need is a small, inexpensive, and did i say SMALL, prop stand that will lift the wheel off of the ground and allow pedaling to oil the chain. I have seen some that fit in the hole in hollow tech cranks and would like something similar ...
So, how do you oil your chain?

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
I don't like oil on my chain, I prefer wax. I use the bike stand, as I silicone shine the frame and gt85 the pivots after a wash

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The car has broken down? I am jealous I would love a garage, even a tiny little one... :(

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It seems good but I wonder if it can support heavy rear hub ebikes? I am not sure that orange plastic is strong enough.

MS
20kg max load.
Should be ok as only supporting part of the bike load, remove battery first.

Reactions: mountainsport

Rick Bullotta

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2017
USA
Here's my technique.

Turn bike upside down (be careful if your eBike control/display sticks out).

Clean things well with a Park Tool brush (chain, cassette, chainrings, derailleur pulleys), then with a rag (no cleaners, lubes or solvents yet).

Use a lighter lube like ProGold ProLink. While pedaling the bike in the smallest sprocket(s), apply to the chain for a light 10 second stream. Continue pedaling for 60 seconds. Let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe off excess with a rag.

If the chain was super nasty dirty, I might go the process twice.

On my dirt bike I use a similar technique but with a different brush (grunge brush), the motorcycle on a stand instead of upside down, and a different lube (Motorex chain lube).

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I think I might have expressed myself badly.. for chain cleaning I have an ultrasonic cleaner which does the job really well and then use a propriety chain lube .. it's just the day to day chain lubing in winter that just needs the back wheel lifting to turn the cranks to spray the chain.

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
if I grab the largest gear in the casette I can move the chain backwards for lubing it with the rear wheel on the deck using the freewheel?
Tom

Related Articles

Advertisers