Old batribike step through upgrade

Heavy Rider2015

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 31, 2015
Hi I've got an old batribike diamond Pro step through bike with a rear hub motor with a pannier battery... Its recently stopped working so I wanted to replace the rear hub for a more powerful one... Are the kits easy to fit? Would I need a new battery ? I was thinking of a 500w as I can do some private land off road use. Any ideas, help, tips?

Thanks

• Dislike
Reactions: ianboydsnr
D

Deleted member 4366

Do you mean a rack battery? A photo would help us understand what you have. Motors are normally quite reliable and there are ways to get a lot more power out of them. Do you know why yours stopped working?

If you've been looking at those 500w kits on Ebay, forget them. They won't give you what you want, though there are other 500w motors that might be OK. The power comes from the battery and controller, so sticking a 500w motor in the back won't solve anything. you'll need a battery and controller to go with it. You'd be looking at about £500 to £600. If your present motor is OK, a 48v battery and controller would give 33% more power for about £300. If it's just your controller that's faulty and your battery is still good, about £60 would get you something like 20% - 30% more power.

Reactions: Lucylettuce

Heavy Rider2015

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 31, 2015
Do you mean a rack battery? A photo would help us understand what you have. Motors are normally quite reliable and there are ways to get a lot more power out of them. Do you know why yours stopped working?

If you've been looking at those 500w kits on Ebay, forget them. They won't give you what you want, though there are other 500w motors that might be OK. The power comes from the battery and controller, so sticking a 500w motor in the back won't solve anything. you'll need a battery and controller to go with it. You'd be looking at about £500 to £600. If your present motor is OK, a 48v battery and controller would give 33% more power for about £300. If it's just your controller that's faulty and your battery is still good, about £60 would get you something like 20% - 30% more power.
HI Sorry for the crazy late response, (a picture of the bike is below) yes it's a rack battery. The motor is ok, the current batter is a samsung 36V 10.4Ah. Batribike have been less than useless with helping with any problem i have had with the bike since i got it. It's the controller that doesnt work at all and i have no clue as to how or what to replace it with. it's some random display unit called DMHC (i've attached a similar looking unit to the post) ...thanks in advance if you can help at all.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Have you got a voltmeter and are you OK with soldering?