Old Synergie bike and its battery

martini99

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2009
My Synergie Vivace has been garaged for the last 3 years. I kept the (Phylion) battery charged and it still shows 3 green lights (max). However the motor does not function and I guess the now 5 year old battery has had it. Is it possible to replace it given that both Synergie and its replacement, Alienbikes, are no more? And is it worth it now the bike is pretty old hat? any ideas are very welcome thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
As I recall the batteries, weren't well rated and commonly died early. I had one given last year with same behaviour. Quick test for battery is to get a multmeter across the output terminals. I think the motor on mine was brushless, generic controller (with random cable colours). If the battery turns out to be good it may be worth getting a new controller for £6 off ebay.

John

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
My thoughts are;-

How much will it cost to get it all going again? How long will it last, if you did that?

Ebike kits are not too expensive, if you have a bike to put one on.

The Halfords Carrera Crossfire E is £800 with a 2 year warranty.

martini99

Apr 29, 2009
As I recall the batteries, weren't well rated and commonly died early. I had one given last year with same behaviour. Quick test for battery is to get a multmeter across the output terminals. I think the motor on mine was brushless, generic controller (with random cable colours). If the battery turns out to be good it may be worth getting a new controller for £6 off ebay.

John
Many thanks for that, John. The multimeter reads 29.1 and the battery being a 24v 10a version, I assume that's good news? If so I will take your advice and get a new controller but I have no idea what specification I require. Should I start taking the bike apart?

D

Deleted member 4366

The voltage on a Phylion battery doesn't mean anything. When the cells wear out, they'll charge to 29.4v, but they have no capacity, so the voltage collapses as soon as you apply a load. Only a discharge test will confirm if it's any good.

Don't buy a controller until you've confirmed what your problem is.

Show us a picture of your bike. You should be able to use any 24v battery. You don't have to fit the same type if yours is knackered.

martini99

Apr 29, 2009
Thank you. I think I now need to put the battery under load. Would a 12v bulb connected across the terminals do that? It's all electrickery to me but I'm A Yorkshire person so I will be neither spending money unnecessarily nor giving up.

• :D
Reactions: mw1
D

Deleted member 4366

You need at least two 12v bulbs in series. 4 x 15w indicator bulbs in a 2S2P configuration will give a load of 60w at 24v, which is about 2 amps., so should last for 5 hours if the battery is OK. You might want to think about using an electric fan on them to keep them cool. At least keep them well spaced out so that they don't heat up each other.

• Useful

martini99

Apr 29, 2009
You need at least two 12v bulbs in series. 4 x 15w indicator bulbs in a 2S2P configuration will give a load of 60w at 24v, which is about 2 amps., so should last for 5 hours if the battery is OK. You might want to think about using an electric fan on them to keep them cool. At least keep them well spaced out so that they don't heat up each other.
Glad to report a happy outcome . Bought 3 x 24v 60w bulbs from a well known auction site for £4 delivered but whilst waiting for them to be delivered took the controller box to bits. The key operated battery lock is also the on/off switch and was stiff. After I cleaned it up and applied wd40 it turned a tiny click further than "on". Hey presto - lights, motor action.

Back on the road again and the battery seems fine after a 2 mile test run. My inner Yorkshire person has magnanimously overlooked the (wasted) £4. Thanks for all your contributions

martini99

Apr 29, 2009
Oh well, it was good while it lasted. 5 years ago, when bike and battery were new, we managed 20 miles together on routes around my house in hilly Sheffield. Now it seems 5 miles exhausts us both. Granted I've put a bit of weight on but the bike has lost some (rear mudguard fell off somewhere in Ecclesall woods). Even though 5 miles in the company of a trusty friend is joy not to be given up lightly, we both want more from this relationship. I saw this and thought of you, bike:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221908477154?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Will it do the trick do you think?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I could but the frog batteries have a frail physical construction and can brake the seat post or self.
The range should be better though.
There are other batteries you might try fitting either bottle, rack or replacement in your old battery case.
Billyboy is doing similar search for bike mileage to follow his attempts.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:

Advertisers