Oldie but a Newbie

Marc Draco

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2018
I'm the wrong side of 50 now an my trusty Carrera Kraken has plenty of life in it - but didn't really justify a £500 conversion so I've stumped up for a brand new Carrera (something), the one Halfords had "on offer" for *just* £1000...

It's not that I'm particularly struck on Halfords but it's by far my closest cycle shop and since I'm new to this, I don't need to have to ride a busted pedelec all the way into town (and possibly back). I've done it on the Kraken a few times and it's thankless up the several mile long (albeit gentle) slope, particularly when the wind and rain are hitting hard.

I've been trying to convince myself to go electric for several years now - I'd first heard about them being a serious contender some 10 years back! So I've taken the plunge and now it's a case of seeing how things go. I've been priced out of driving a motor car these days so this seems like the sensible (and green) option.

15.5mph seems a pretty meagre limit for licenced drivers - but that's what you get for having to make one size fit all. (I regularly exceed that on the Kraken on the flat, paritcularly if the wind is at my back).

Anyway, that's enough of my rambling, thank you to all for having me and thank you to Admin for approving me so quickly. Very efficient service (must be electric.)

Reactions: lyme

lyme

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Staffordshire
Hi and welcome from another older one who is new to the ebike scene. I purchased a new Carrera Subway 2 recently from Halfords at a discounted price and a kit from Yose Power and really enjoyed building it up and over coming a few problems.

I've already covered around 80 miles in the last week and now thinking what can I do next.

Reactions: Marc Draco

Marc Draco

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2018
It's almost like riding in your teens isn't it! I guess the winter is going to be a bit of a bind though - not sure how I fancy riding in snow (not that I did on the everyday cycle anyway.)

lyme

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Staffordshire
Yes it does make you feel like a teenager again if I can remember that far back and I cycle as well with a local club 100 + miles a week so used to the winter

Reactions: Marc Draco

Marc Draco

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2018
I'm more encouraged all the time. Having to drop that kind of dough on what my ex.wife would call a "toy" is no laughing matter if you get it wrong.

Marc Draco

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2018
Can't argue with that logic my friend. I'm just hoping I can pay all this money back before they plant me!