On the go navigation

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
It's too easy to get lost in the lanes around here and start to suffer range anxiety. So I want a simple map display that will tell me where I am and route find the shortest way home . I've been down the cheap gps smart 'phone route, it blew up on me after about 3 days. I've got a TomTom in the car doing nothing most of the time and this will do everthing I need.
So I found this,
https://www.action-led-lights.com/products/magicshine-mj-6086-usb-adapter
it will power the satnav from my front light battery pack (also doing nothing most of the time), but the cheapest I can find is a U.S. supplier and delivery gets a bit silly, I'm also guessing there would be duty.
Anyone know a british or european supplier, or something that will give me usb supply from a 4 cell 18650 pack (8.4v)?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can use the cells in the pack you have just split it apart and cut the strips off them then just get that case with usb out.

i have one and the usb is 5v 2a and you can use the batt charger for the pack so you only have to buy the case.

it also has batt cut off bms built in.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
My garmin Nuvi satnav that I use for work has 2 power cables, one for the cig lighter socket and one for a USB connection, the lighter socket works fine, but when connected via the USB it seem to struggle for power a bit, slow to start up and it keeps switching off. I have a 4 outlet high power USB cig socket adaptor for mobile phones, tablet etc, which I plug my satnav into, and hence the reason it struggles for power, but only when they are all plugged intoit. I thought about using my satnav for the bike but I don`t think it would like water much, powering it would be quite simple as my E-Bike battery has a USB outlet built into it as standard, but I think it would be a bit power hungry as it depletes it`s own internal battery quite quickly when not connected to a 12V supply, if you get something set up it will be interesting.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the adaptor might be limiting the currant thus why it turns it off its very low for Mobil phones ect as i have a 5v power bank here and it says 5v but the current is so low it cant even power a tiny temp meter and turns off.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi have you considered the power supply packs for mobile phones... Typically 5£ in the pound discount shops. Some of them have 2amps outlet s at 5v and will have up to 10amphrs ... Should be good for say 4 hrs use. , The TomTom should be good for an extra hour unless it's battery is knackered.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
you can use the cells in the pack you have just split it apart and cut the strips off them then just get that case with usb out.

i have one and the usb is 5v 2a and you can use the batt charger for the pack so you only have to buy the case.

it also has batt cut off bms built in.
Well there you go, I never thought of getting my stanley knife out and slitting the cells apart. So back to D8veh's original suggestion, especially if it has a BMS built in. Slight concern is that it quotes the USB voltage as 4.2, I thought USB's were 5v, will it run the satnav?

I thought about using my satnav for the bike but I don`t think it would like water much,
The TomTom should be fine as I have a Carradice handlebar box that has a clip on clear heavy plastic map case on top. No water in there.
One of these:
http://www.victorandliberty.com/accessories-c31/cycling-bags-panniers-musettes-and-rucksacks-c34/carradice-super-c-handlebar-bag-p253/s1035?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=carradice-super-c-handebar-bag-colour-black-colour-black-carrschbblack&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads&gclid=CMeDw6PFxNECFVTNGwodU1MFZw

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0654.JPG

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Well there you go, I never thought of getting my stanley knife out and slitting the cells apart. So back to D8veh's original suggestion, especially if it has a BMS built in. Slight concern is that it quotes the USB voltage as 4.2, I thought USB's were 5v, will it run the satnav?

The TomTom should be fine as I have a Carradice handlebar box that has a clip on clear heavy plastic map case on top. No water in there.
One of these:
http://www.victorandliberty.com/accessories-c31/cycling-bags-panniers-musettes-and-rucksacks-c34/carradice-super-c-handlebar-bag-p253/s1035?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=carradice-super-c-handebar-bag-colour-black-colour-black-carrschbblack&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads&gclid=CMeDw6PFxNECFVTNGwodU1MFZw
The USB spec calls for 5v and this is true whether the version is. A B or C . How the battery packs etc handle this from a nominal 3.8v Li ion cell ( the 4.2v is a peak value from a li ion cell), is unknown, and I have no intention is breaking up my 5v battery pack to find out.... . It is likely that.
1 two cells in series used and a low cost linear voltage regulator is used
or 2. A voltage boost switching regulator is used,
both options are low cost in large quantities

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Think it's probably the first of your options Danidl, as the other output plug still gives 8.4v, which implies two cells in series.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015