One view on London cycling…….

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm stealing this from the '50Cycles' people, Tim Snaith to be perfectly accurate, plus the 'Spectator' which I'm given to understand is a newspaper not read very often by white van man and I'm sure they won't mind:

The Spectator's Mary Wakefield cycles in London but this hasn't stopped her laying into London's cyclists in today's column. Here's a taste:

Cyclists are unusually unpleasant. We’re as vile as we’re made out to be — perhaps worse...

Commuting on the superhighway is a miserable experience. We wait to join the main drag in unhappy little huddles, never meeting each other’s eyes, just staring at the unnatural calves of the man in front.

There’s a uniform here: mesh T-shirts; Lycra shorts with little circular pads on the bum; helmet, shades, headphones that curl around the neck then vanish up into the head like ear-eating snakes. Some people have two water bottles to demonstrate their superior fitness and hydration.

Well, my first thought was "that's all cyclists need"

Then I understood her poison pen portrait doesn't resemble most electric cyclists anyway. We're not guilty!

We stop at red lights and pedestrian crossings!
We dress in everyday clothes rather than cycling garb!
We don't guzzle energy gels or blow our noses into the slipstream like proper cyclists do!
We smile! Electric cyclists are famous for their smiling. We might even venture a "hello!"

And all because of one of the least-known benefits of riding an electric bike:

Riding faster means you take your time!

Let's look at three nasty pedal cyclist habits Mary Wakefield has picked up on.

Why do some cyclists ride through red lights and pedestrian crossings?
Because it takes a lot more effort to stop and start rather than just carry on. Many cyclists simply do not bother and it's easy to get away with it.
On an electric bike pulling away from a standstill requires little extra effort. Stopping when you're supposed to is no big deal. So we do.

Why do cyclists so often wear skintight lycra?

Because riding a pedal cycle over a distance will soon leave you hot and sweaty unless you wear cycle clothing.

On an electric bike you wear what you want and still arrive in a fit state to go about your business. Often the only extra items will be a helmet and maybe some hi-viz.

What's all this about cyclists being antisocial, with other road users and each other?
It's a complicated brew of taking the moral high ground, being on the defensive in busy traffic and simple fatigue. Cycling in central London is a challenge and some cyclists become very focused, intolerant and less friendly.
On an electric bike, you're less likely to be prone to any of this. Electric cycling is often viewed as cheating anyway (it isn't really), so there goes your moral high ground!

As for riding defensively and avoiding fatigue, an e-bike makes it easier to get out of harm's way and tackle hills and headwinds. It smooths your progress and amplifies the "joy of cycling" that Mary Wakefield admits to later in her article.

So, if you want to cycle more but don't want to lose your good manners and all-round humanity in the process, riding an electric bike is the way to do it. Read more about electric cycling in London here

You'll get no argument from me Tim!

Tom

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I am not sure that soundwave would fit within this idealistic electric bike landscape! I also find it a little too saccharine sweet with more than a cynical dollop of sales pitch. Maybe I have become too much of the "grumpy old man".

Reactions: flecc

Advertisers