Ongoing reliability of Kalkhoff/Focus Impulse 2 motors

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Are you basing that on one statement from the importer, who has a vested interest. Have a look at the failures database and see if you still think that statement is true.
I am not referring to the reliability before 2016 i am talking about the performance of both designs and the fact that the batteries are usually bigger than the bosch offering.
I know because i`ve put a lot of miles on both the impulse and bosch.

D

Deleted member 4366

The database shows recent failures of new bikes, doesn't it?

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
I
The database shows recent failures of new bikes, doesn't it?
I had the 2015 impulse motor with the problems,great unit when it was right.According to recent information the known causes of the failures have been rectified from the 2016 motor onwards.

D

Deleted member 4366

I

According to recent information the known causes of the failures have been rectified from the 2016 motor onwards.
If you believe that, you should think about this then:

According to recent information, the world will end this year. I've just cashed in my pension so that i can spend it before the end comes in 6 months time. It'll be lobster for dinner every day until then:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1728165/world-predicted-to-end-in-2017-thanks-to-a-total-solar-eclipse-hitting-america-and-the-uk/

So, it makes no difference whether it's fixed or not.

It comes down to whether you believe words that you read on the internet, or facts that you've seen on the internet?

Last edited by a moderator:

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
If you believe that, you should think about this then:

According to recent information, the world will end this year. I've just cashed in my pension so that i can spend it before the end comes in 6 months time. It'll be lobster for dinner every day until then:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1728165/world-predicted-to-end-in-2017-thanks-to-a-total-solar-eclipse-hitting-america-and-the-uk/

So, it makes no difference whether it's fixed or not.

It comes down to whether you believe words that you read on the internet, or facts that you've seen on the internet?
Don`t get me wrong i have had a lot of trouble with my 2015 impulse and lost money on the sale but you seem to me to have a personal agenda against the Kalkhoff impulse.
I`ll stay with the Bosch CX for now and even those have had issues.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• :D
Reactions: IR772
D

Deleted member 4366

Don`t get me wrong i have had a lot of trouble with my 2015 impulse and lost money on the sale but you seem to me to have a personal agenda against the Kalkhoff impulse.
I`ll stay with the Bosch CX for now and even those have had issues.
It's nothing personal. If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the problems have been fixed. Where's the data that confirms that?

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
I w
It's nothing personal. If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the problems have been fixed. Where's the data that confirms that?
I would find it hard to believe that the german engineers have not rectified the problems of the impulse by now,like i said previously when mine was right it was spot on and the battery was a 17ah so it had high range when compared to my bosch battery.

hopbackguy

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2015
Horndean, Hampshire
Having called Joe at 50cycles after last week's efforts, ........(edited) He's going to get another sd card to me with 1.345 on. Fingers crossed :)
OK, the SD card with 1.345 on it arrived on Saturday and I've just done the update, again very quick and easy, but you have to remove and replace the battery after the update to reboot and only then does the service unit show the updated level of software. So I'm now on the latest level, bike rides fine.

IMG_1862.jpg

hopbackguy

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2015
Horndean, Hampshire
So is the 45kph just a software "extra"?
Not sure what you mean by software extra but there's a wheel size setting that I could have changed to fool the bike into thinking it had smaller wheels which would have raised the assistance cut off from 25kph to a higher value. However, as has been endlessly discussed in this forum, this would then change the category of the bike, and I never intended to change this, just update the motor software to the latest level.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Does this mean that Kalkhoff bikes with an Impulse 2.2 motor are reliable enough to purchase? Opinions sought.

D

Deleted member 4366

Does this mean that Kalkhoff bikes with an Impulse 2.2 motor are reliable enough to purchase? Opinions sought.
You can get some good info from the motor reliability database:
http://www.pedelecmonitor.de/

I'm sure that if you message forum member Redalexx, he can give more specific info on failures of Impulse motor types. I've seen some more detailed tables than what I can find on his website.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
I would say yes because the `made in germany` reputation is one that the kalkhoff or Daum engineers will want to protect.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
How do you quantify 'reliable' ? How many units need to be produced to give this a value.
I've planned to buy an ebike, and I have had bad reports about Bafang hub motors, all Kalkhoff models (not just the Impulse 2 motors) and the Raleigh Motus with a Bosch. I can't afford to make a mistake as I am retiring. Worried about a lack of throttle as it will be a mobility aid as well.

Last edited:

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Got an 8 mile round trip today. Just the length of journey suited to an ebike. Not worth it for short trips to the shops and pub. Longer journeys are taken in the warmer months, generally.