Ongoing reliability of Kalkhoff/Focus Impulse 2 motors

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The Delite is well worth the price charged.
.. The prices being quoted are very very high. Value is in the eye of the beholder, and on a cost \ benefit analysis. As a utility vehicle it could not stack up as ebikes of good performance can be got at 1/4 the price, reliable ones at 1/3 and luxury models at 1/2 . As a luxury good and someone wanting the " best " , well the sky is the limit.

brunobensaid

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 17, 2017
paris
Thanks. well noted about the Motus (I will check it out). as for the kindle, the 3g roaming was not international but US only (on verizon or else) if I remember. I am not sure about the European versions but unlikely.

... I can agree with you, there are only a few manufacturers of quality ebike motor systems and it would be very feasible to reduce the illicit second hand market for these. The battery packs, the display units and the motors are all serial numbered ... I was requested by Raliegh to provide them when seeking my warranty, so it would be very feasible for the manufacturer to retain these on a database. You may note that a version of the original Kindle had a free 3g gsm module embedded enabling the owner to access free email and download books whilst away from a WiFi link., This is a global service and is included in a product which only coated 30euro more than the non gsm version, if memory serves.
Those companies eg Yamaha, Bosch etc could easily have a lockout code sent on request by the original owner disabling the motor if Notified of theft.
Incidentally the Motus uses the same key to lock the battery pack and a rear wheel lock... A nice touch.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thanks. well noted about the Motus (I will check it out). as for the kindle, the 3g roaming was not international but US only (on verizon or else) if I remember. I am not sure about the European versions but unlikely.
... The kindle 3g roaming operate in 100 countries including the Americas and Europe inc. Turkey. My point was not an advert for Amazon, but to indicate that an international company could provide at no cost to the Consumer a wide scale communications network, and this could be used for security.

• Agree
Reactions: brunobensaid

brunobensaid

Mar 17, 2017
paris
... The kindle 3g roaming operate in 100 countries including the Americas and Europe inc. Turkey. My point was not an advert for Amazon, but to indicate that an international company could provide at no cost to the Consumer a wide scale communications network, and this could be used for security.
I read it this way too (note: Bluesmart connected lugggage offers the same service for free too - this is going through the international roaming offer from Telefonica for B2B clients). Yes, it is possible. Bike companies need to be disrupted here. Still way too traditional (especially now that engine tech is completed outsourced). Note: LeEco and Xiaomi are offering cool connected bike techs, and so is Niu (my next buy) for electric scooters. Innovation coming from China, and I am very grateful (Mobike is another example of connected bikes, yet it is not electrical)

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Please, no advertising here. and since most of us are really unhappy with Focus/Kalkhoff Impulse engines, there is no need to post a video of one of these bikes, unless the OEM can prove all issues have been fixed, but so far they have been mum....
Sorry...I don't see that video as an advert by Kalkhoff it's a review / advertorial by a bike shop in SF. I think (IMHO) it adds a bit of balance to the discussion.

• Agree
Reactions: nemesis

brunobensaid

Mar 17, 2017
paris
Sorry...I don't see that video as an advert by Kalkhoff it's a review / advertorial by a bike shop in SF. I think (IMHO) it adds a bit of balance to the discussion.
Unfortunately that video covers very little about the bike and its possible flaws. Besides, it is not in motion (unlike the excellent ElectricBikeReview.com blog and youtube channel). This is really more like an advertorial, if you think of it, considering the ones shooting the video are also the ones selling it, so it is not in their best interest to highlight anything negative.

50cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Bali, Indonesia
Dear Bruno,

I am not sure how you can just join a forum and make such slanderous remarks when you do not even own a Kalkhoff bike. There have been many formal responses made in reply to genuine customers. For you here it is again.

Just to reconfirm again there are now over 15000 Kalkhoff out on the road and not one as failed to remain on the road. 6 have been reported on this forum and all have been resolved satisfactorily at zero cost to the customer and a rolling warranty.

Kind regards

Scott
Director
50cycles

Hi

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for your patience up until this point.

In answer to your questions

Artsu: The main reason for the motor failure was one of a few issues combined. The first one being a software timing issue which cause the internal pawls to catch, which in turn caused lateral movement in the bottom bracket resulting in the infamous clacking sound. However with these issues coupled with the final major issue which was one of human error during the motor assembly process which resulted in the wrong lubricant being used causing the motor to overheat resulting in complete motor failure. This resulted in 2015 some batches being effected and some not.

Perseus: I can confirm after being involved with Electric Bikes for 14 years there has never been a better time to own an Electric bike now that the whole industry is behind this sector and big names such as Bosch, Yamaha, Kalkhoff and Shimano have all invested heavily in to making the product the most feasible electric transport system in the world and the most successful form of electric transport out there. 50cycles takes its customer service extremely seriously and apart from customer that have received refunds over the years the remainder which is now well over 20000 customers we have managed to keep on the road no matter what. This has not been an easy task over the years, as Electric Bikes are not the easiest product to sell and service as some people may imagine. The prices of ebikes are also more affordable and I would recommend visiting our show rooms to try the best model suited for your needs. We do not apply heavy sales tactics but believe it is better for you to be able to make your own choice with advice from our expert product staff. Once you own a bike and take good care of it as you would any machine with moving working parts it will get you from AtoB for many many years. Battery life is well over 5 years now at which point it would have degraded by only 40% giving on a 17amp battery a distance that most people would need to do per day.

4bound: There is really no need to worry as the motor failures described as above would tend to happen in the first month of ownership. Any bike that comes in for a service is given the latest software up date. It is always a good idea to service your bike regularly and ask your local 50cycles dealer to update this for you at anytime free of charge.

Nemesis: We have not experienced motor failures related to the above issues outlined to Artsu above since 2015 models some of which were sold in 2016 unaware of the above problem until mid 2016. We believe all motors with this problem have now been fixed for the customer at no cost and we hope minimal inconvenience.

To confirm since this malfunction bought on by a chain of issues I can confirm the following improvements have been made.

1) Firstly and most importantly the application of Lubricants is now performed by robots so there is no chance of human error ever again.

2) A better membrane is used to prevent water induction and overheating.

3) The ratchet that the pawls sit in are now polished to prevent any damage being caused even in the unlikely event of a software timing issue.

4) The bearing in the bottom bracket is now larger to prevent any lateral movement caused by the above issues which resulted in the clacking sound.

As with all product developments and Kalkhoff amazing testing facilities each and every components is constantly review to make each new seasons bikes just that little bit better.

We are 100% confident and satisfied in the Impulse motor systems. Luckily our UK backorder in 2015 did not have many motor failures only resulting in around 50 bike motor changes plus a few of the warranty replacement were also faulty because they were issue before the cause was known.

With our own branded Beat Bike model we have still opted for the Impulse 2.2 to have on our own models, even through we have the option to use any on the market place. The reason being is that there is still not a better motor and battery combination on the market that provides such consistently high torque, battery range, long life and reliability as the Impulse system. Which is now the most widely used motor system across Europe.

However I do sincerely apologies to any customers that may have been caught up in this problem and hope you are now enjoying your electric bike to its full potential.

Kind regards

Scott

• Dislike
Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad

50cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Bali, Indonesia
yep. indeed.
You are simply a troll.

Hi

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for your patience up until this point.

In answer to your questions

Artsu: The main reason for the motor failure was one of a few issues combined. The first one being a software timing issue which cause the internal pawls to catch, which in turn caused lateral movement in the bottom bracket resulting in the infamous clacking sound. However with these issues coupled with the final major issue which was one of human error during the motor assembly process which resulted in the wrong lubricant being used causing the motor to overheat resulting in complete motor failure. This resulted in 2015 some batches being effected and some not.

Perseus: I can confirm after being involved with Electric Bikes for 14 years there has never been a better time to own an Electric bike now that the whole industry is behind this sector and big names such as Bosch, Yamaha, Kalkhoff and Shimano have all invested heavily in to making the product the most feasible electric transport system in the world and the most successful form of electric transport out there. 50cycles takes its customer service extremely seriously and apart from customer that have received refunds over the years the remainder which is now well over 20000 customers we have managed to keep on the road no matter what. This has not been an easy task over the years, as Electric Bikes are not the easiest product to sell and service as some people may imagine. The prices of ebikes are also more affordable and I would recommend visiting our show rooms to try the best model suited for your needs. We do not apply heavy sales tactics but believe it is better for you to be able to make your own choice with advice from our expert product staff. Once you own a bike and take good care of it as you would any machine with moving working parts it will get you from AtoB for many many years. Battery life is well over 5 years now at which point it would have degraded by only 40% giving on a 17amp battery a distance that most people would need to do per day.

4bound: There is really no need to worry as the motor failures described as above would tend to happen in the first month of ownership. Any bike that comes in for a service is given the latest software up date. It is always a good idea to service your bike regularly and ask your local 50cycles dealer to update this for you at anytime free of charge.

Nemesis: We have not experienced motor failures related to the above issues outlined to Artsu above since 2015 models some of which were sold in 2016 unaware of the above problem until mid 2016. We believe all motors with this problem have now been fixed for the customer at no cost and we hope minimal inconvenience.

To confirm since this malfunction bought on by a chain of issues I can confirm the following improvements have been made.

1) Firstly and most importantly the application of Lubricants is now performed by robots so there is no chance of human error ever again.

2) A better membrane is used to prevent water induction and overheating.

3) The ratchet that the pawls sit in are now polished to prevent any damage being caused even in the unlikely event of a software timing issue.

4) The bearing in the bottom bracket is now larger to prevent any lateral movement caused by the above issues which resulted in the clacking sound.

As with all product developments and Kalkhoff amazing testing facilities each and every components is constantly review to make each new seasons bikes just that little bit better.

We are 100% confident and satisfied in the Impulse motor systems. Luckily our UK backorder in 2015 did not have many motor failures only resulting in around 50 bike motor changes plus a few of the warranty replacement were also faulty because they were issue before the cause was known.

With our own branded Beat Bike model we have still opted for the Impulse 2.2 to have on our own models, even through we have the option to use any on the market place. The reason being is that there is still not a better motor and battery combination on the market that provides such consistently high torque, battery range, long life and reliability as the Impulse system. Which is now the most widely used motor system across Europe.

However I do sincerely apologies to any customers that may have been caught up in this problem and hope you are now enjoying your electric bike to its full potential.

Kind regards

Scott

brunobensaid

Mar 17, 2017
paris
Dear Bruno,

I am not sure how you can just join a forum and make such slanderous remarks when you do not even own a Kalkhoff bike. There have been many formal responses made in reply to genuine customers. For you here it is again.

Just to reconfirm again there are now over 15000 Kalkhoff out on the road and not one as failed to remain on the road. 6 have been reported on this forum and all have been resolved satisfactorily at zero cost to the customer and a rolling warranty.

Kind regards

Scott
Director
50cycles
Scott,

I would rather you did not make such derogatory comments...

You probably did not read my messages, or not all of them. I have owned a Kalkhoff speed bike (Endeavour Premium S11) for 6 months and it failed me consistently from day 1 or so: not only did the speed transition fail regularly (despite the settings being adjusted several times) but the engine clacked and put me in serious danger (of falling when pedaling and losing balance). I know another user in France (where I reside) broke his leg riding a similar bike (same engine, just not speed). I even filmed the issue and have 3 extremely revealing videos showing the failure around the engine-block, despite the fact we had the engine changed very early on. At high torque, low speed, the engine just cannot cope.

This blog and most of its writers shows numerous examples of Kalkhoff/Focus Impulse 2 engine failures, and I am one of them. Also, if you enquire with Derby Cycle in Germany, you will hear all about the different failing components and how Derby did not get its supply chain fool proof, and how some execs are now fronting and working full time solving it. Evo RS engines are apparently faulty too. This is the reseller honest feedback, and they did not hesitate one second to take back the bike. The problem is massive (according to all the people I have been talking to in Europe).

So who is making slanderous remarks now?

cheers
Bruno

Reactions: Live_Steam_Mad