Ongoing reliability of Kalkhoff/Focus Impulse 2 motors

50cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Bali, Indonesia
50 plus = 6 ? :cool::mad:
6 genuine motor problems maximum raised on this forum for 30 pages of nothingness. True facts given to true customers not stooges/trolls or those with vested interests such as yourself. Your typing fingers must be down to the bone. Could think of better ways of spending my retirement!

Good idea for comic relief tomorrow. Be yourself. :p:D:oops::rolleyes:o_O

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: LeighPing

50cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Bali, Indonesia
So here it is again.

Hello Earth calling Dv8 self pro claimed Great Bloke.

Maybe you should go back to your caravan business/job because your Oxygen business has ran out of air. I am sensing a hint of jealousy that you should have stuck with your day job.

60x Kalkhoff bikes sold this week. How many Oxygens so far?

So to remind you of the facts once again here we go.

Kindest regards

Scott

PS Apologies for the copy and pasting of the same factual information but some stooges/trolls/ those with alterior motives due to vested interest in the cycle industry on the forum cannot seem to pass go.

Hi

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for your patience up until this point.

In answer to your questions

Artsu: The main reason for the motor failure was one of a few issues combined. The first one being a software timing issue which cause the internal pawls to catch, which in turn caused lateral movement in the bottom bracket resulting in the infamous clacking sound. However with these issues coupled with the final major issue which was one of human error during the motor assembly process which resulted in the wrong lubricant being used causing the motor to overheat resulting in complete motor failure. This resulted in 2015 some batches being effected and some not.

Perseus: I can confirm after being involved with Electric Bikes for 14 years there has never been a better time to own an Electric bike now that the whole industry is behind this sector and big names such as Bosch, Yamaha, Kalkhoff and Shimano have all invested heavily in to making the product the most feasible electric transport system in the world and the most successful form of electric transport out there. 50cycles takes its customer service extremely seriously and apart from customer that have received refunds over the years the remainder which is now well over 20000 customers we have managed to keep on the road no matter what. This has not been an easy task over the years, as Electric Bikes are not the easiest product to sell and service as some people may imagine. The prices of ebikes are also more affordable and I would recommend visiting our show rooms to try the best model suited for your needs. We do not apply heavy sales tactics but believe it is better for you to be able to make your own choice with advice from our expert product staff. Once you own a bike and take good care of it as you would any machine with moving working parts it will get you from AtoB for many many years. Battery life is well over 5 years now at which point it would have degraded by only 40% giving on a 17amp battery a distance that most people would need to do per day.

4bound: There is really no need to worry as the motor failures described as above would tend to happen in the first month of ownership. Any bike that comes in for a service is given the latest software up date. It is always a good idea to service your bike regularly and ask your local 50cycles dealer to update this for you at anytime free of charge.

Nemesis: We have not experienced motor failures related to the above issues outlined to Artsu above since 2015 models some of which were sold in 2016 unaware of the above problem until mid 2016. We believe all motors with this problem have now been fixed for the customer at no cost and we hope minimal inconvenience.

To confirm since this malfunction bought on by a chain of issues I can confirm the following improvements have been made.

1) Firstly and most importantly the application of Lubricants is now performed by robots so there is no chance of human error ever again.

2) A better membrane is used to prevent water induction and overheating.

3) The ratchet that the pawls sit in are now polished to prevent any damage being caused even in the unlikely event of a software timing issue.

4) The bearing in the bottom bracket is now larger to prevent any lateral movement caused by the above issues which resulted in the clacking sound.

As with all product developments and Kalkhoff amazing testing facilities each and every components is constantly review to make each new seasons bikes just that little bit better.

We are 100% confident and satisfied in the Impulse motor systems. Luckily our UK backorder in 2015 did not have many motor failures only resulting in around 50 bike motor changes plus a few of the warranty replacement were also faulty because they were issue before the cause was known.

With our own branded Beat Bike model we have still opted for the Impulse 2.2 to have on our own models, even through we have the option to use any on the market place. The reason being is that there is still not a better motor and battery combination on the market that provides such consistently high torque, battery range, long life and reliability as the Impulse system. Which is now the most widely used motor system across Europe.

However I do sincerely apologies to any customers that may have been caught up in this problem and hope you are now enjoying your electric bike to its full potential.

Kind regards

Scott

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
6 genuine motor problems maximum raised on this forum for 30 pages of nothingness. True facts given to true customers not stooges/trolls or those with vested interests such as yourself. Your typing fingers must be down to the bone. Could think of better ways of spending my retirement!

Good idea for comic relief tomorrow. Be yourself. :p:D:oops::rolleyes:o_O

Things are getting to a sorry state when the venerable Flecc is being dissed.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I bought a bike off them some years ago. After Scott's last few outings, I won't be using them again. His intemperate responses on this and other threads in the past just make me feel that I'd hate to have to deal with him if I ever had a problem with one of his bikes.

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” Mark Twain .

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
I bought a bike off them some years ago. After Scott's last few outings, I won't be using them again. His intemperate responses on this and other threads in the past just make me feel that I'd hate to have to deal with him if I ever had a problem with one of his bikes.

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” Mark Twain .
Yes good comment,but to be fair i think this is why a lot of dealers don`t get involved with open forums.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hello Earth calling Dv8 self pro claimed Great Bloke.

Maybe you should go back to your caravan business/job because your Oxygen business has ran out of air. I am sensing a hint of jealousy that you should have stuck with your day job.

60x Kalkhoff bikes sold this week. How many Oxygens so far?
Just to make it clear, I have never taken a payment from and have no commercial interest in anything to do with electric bikes. They're my hobby, and they only cause me to lose money.

Even when I sold a small amount of stuff on Ebay, it was at cost price. I only did it so that I could get stuff at a reasonable price for myself.

I know and have helped many businesses in the ebike trade. Any help that I give is totally free,

I get my money from property investments and I'm happy with my financial situation.

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Bruno,
Go back to your bridge troll man.
Scott
Jesus you've got some front coming out with a line like that as a spokesman for a commercial enterprise. Highly unprofessional, whether you like him or not. And I hope you can provide proof for your veiled threat of him being a liar.

Thanks for the heads up though, if I was ever going to use 50c I certainly wont now.

And no, I dont have any vested interests you irritating, arrogant individual.

50cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Bali, Indonesia
Your idea of true facts appears to be fantasy, I have no vested interests in any way related to this forum or the subject of e-bikes.
Hi Tony Fleccia, Devh8

Apologies no need to get angry or frustrated, all things said in jest. If you cannot take a little bit of banter do not give it out.

34000+ Messages and a founding member is a vested interest of personal time and effort. Flecc you know we love you to bits and even MOT'd your car whilst we serviced your bike. Your feathers have been ruffled for a while just relax and enjoy the ride.

I am sure Devh8 persona really is a great bloke in real life just comes across as a grumpy man with a chip on his shoulder. Next time I see you at a trade show I will shake your hand, buy you a beer and a bag of peanuts.

Keep the thread on track please. The forum is used as a political tool by many to inflame situations with defamatory remarks, infactual information, lies and provacateurs.

Our real customers are the only people that count of which all are treated with the upmost respect, service and recognition. We have the best trained alround service people in the business and the 50cycles team is a family of young enthusiastic individuals that always go the extra mile to give the best of the best, always in always.

The trolls can creep back under their bridges.

Cue Soundwave, nemisis, bruno or any other newly joined member that is claiming to be a Kalkhoff owner but cannot actually prove it!

If honesty is perceived as arrogance then that I am in the virtual world of keyboard warrior forum dwellers.

Back on track with the facts which will be issued accordingly again and again and again.

Kindest regards

Scott

Hi

Artsu: The main reason for the motor failure was one of a few issues combined. The first one being a software timing issue which cause the internal pawls to catch, which in turn caused lateral movement in the bottom bracket resulting in the infamous clacking sound. However with these issues coupled with the final major issue which was one of human error during the motor assembly process which resulted in the wrong lubricant being used causing the motor to overheat resulting in complete motor failure. This resulted in 2015 some batches being effected and some not.

Perseus: I can confirm after being involved with Electric Bikes for 14 years there has never been a better time to own an Electric bike now that the whole industry is behind this sector and big names such as Bosch, Yamaha, Kalkhoff and Shimano have all invested heavily in to making the product the most feasible electric transport system in the world and the most successful form of electric transport out there. 50cycles takes its customer service extremely seriously and apart from customer that have received refunds over the years the remainder which is now well over 20000 customers we have managed to keep on the road no matter what. This has not been an easy task over the years, as Electric Bikes are not the easiest product to sell and service as some people may imagine. The prices of ebikes are also more affordable and I would recommend visiting our show rooms to try the best model suited for your needs. We do not apply heavy sales tactics but believe it is better for you to be able to make your own choice with advice from our expert product staff. Once you own a bike and take good care of it as you would any machine with moving working parts it will get you from AtoB for many many years. Battery life is well over 5 years now at which point it would have degraded by only 40% giving on a 17amp battery a distance that most people would need to do per day.

4bound: There is really no need to worry as the motor failures described as above would tend to happen in the first month of ownership. Any bike that comes in for a service is given the latest software up date. It is always a good idea to service your bike regularly and ask your local 50cycles dealer to update this for you at anytime free of charge.

Nemesis: We have not experienced motor failures related to the above issues outlined to Artsu above since 2015 models some of which were sold in 2016 unaware of the above problem until mid 2016. We believe all motors with this problem have now been fixed for the customer at no cost and we hope minimal inconvenience.

To confirm since this malfunction bought on by a chain of issues I can confirm the following improvements have been made.

1) Firstly and most importantly the application of Lubricants is now performed by robots so there is no chance of human error ever again.

3) The ratchet that the pawls sit in are now polished to prevent any damage being caused even in the unlikely event of a software timing issue.

4) The bearing in the bottom bracket is now larger to prevent any lateral movement caused by the above issues which resulted in the clacking sound.

As with all product developments and Kalkhoff amazing testing facilities each and every components is constantly review to make each new seasons bikes just that little bit better.

We are 100% confident and satisfied in the Impulse motor systems. Luckily our UK backorder in 2015 did not have many motor failures only resulting in around 50 bike motor changes plus a few of the warranty replacement were also faulty because they were issue before the cause was known.

With our own branded Beat Bike model we have still opted for the Impulse 2.2 to have on our own models, even through we have the option to use any on the market place. The reason being is that there is still not a better motor and battery combination on the market that provides such consistently high torque, battery range, long life and reliability as the Impulse system. Which is now the most widely used motor system across Europe.

However I do sincerely apologies to any customers that may have been caught up in this problem and hope you are now enjoying your electric bike to its full potential.

Kind regards

Scott

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Hi Tony Fleccia, Devh8

Apologies no need to get angry or frustrated, all things said in jest. If you cannot take a little bit of banter do not give it out.

34000+ Messages and a founding member is a vested interest of personal time and effort. Flecc you know we love you to bits and even MOT'd your car whilst we serviced your bike. Your feathers have been ruffled for a while just relax and enjoy the ride.

I am sure Devh8 persona really is a great bloke in real life just comes across as a grumpy man with a chip on his shoulder. Next time I see you at a trade show I will shake your hand, buy you a beer and a bag of peanuts.

Keep the thread on track please. The forum is used as a political tool by many to inflame situations with defamatory remarks, infactual information, lies and provacateurs.

Our real customers are the only people that count of which all are treated with the upmost respect, service and recognition. We have the best trained alround service people in the business and the 50cycles team is a family of young enthusiastic individuals that always go the extra mile to give the best of the best, always in always.

The trolls can creep back under their bridges.

Cue Soundwave, nemisis, bruno or any other newly joined member that is claiming to be a Kalkhoff owner but cannot actually prove it!

If honesty is perceived as arrogance then that I am in the virtual world of keyboard warrior forum dwellers.

Back on track with the facts which will be issued accordingly again and again and again.

Kindest regards

Scott

Hi

Kind regards

Scott
Scott since 2011 i have bought four bikes off 50 cycles all top of the range,i only have a Cube model bike now because of the failures of the impulse motor.I am not a troll and have only quoted facts and also supported your business as well.
All i can see from your comments is that you are doing more damage to your reputation and 50 cycles.

Biscitt

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
Update on my Kalkhoff Agattu:

I am now on my third motor, replaced under warranty by 50 Cycles. Symptoms - control unit switched on but showed flat battery test ride showing no assist. Battery tested ok, tried in another bike no problem and battery from that other bike tried in defective one with same symptom.

According to 50 Cycles the motor was not producing any output. Motor was replaced in Jan/Feb having covered less than 400 miles. Maybe the cause was the lubrication issue I don't know.

Thanks to 50cycles I am back enjoying the bike once more. Covered 217 miles on the new motor and counting.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Update on my Kalkhoff Agattu:

I am now on my third motor, replaced under warranty by 50 Cycles. Symptoms - control unit switched on but showed flat battery test ride showing no assist. Battery tested ok, tried in another bike no problem and battery from that other bike tried in defective one with same symptom.

According to 50 Cycles the motor was not producing any output. Motor was replaced in Jan/Feb having covered less than 400 miles. Maybe the cause was the lubrication issue I don't know.

Thanks to 50cycles I am back enjoying the bike once more. Covered 217 miles on the new motor and counting.
At what point is that bike deemed as 'Not fit for purpose?'. Wouldn't it be easier just to get a replacement bike that works as described? These things ain't cheap.

signwave

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2016
Hampshire
At what point is that bike deemed as 'Not fit for purpose?'. Wouldn't it be easier just to get a replacement bike that works as described? These things ain't cheap.
The Consumer Rights Act 2015 introduced the concept of just one repair being allowed.

The CRA came into effect on 1st October 2015, so if the purchase was made after that date the seller has only one attempt at a repair before the buyer has a statutory right to insist on a refund. It should be noted that that refund can be reduced to take account of the use the buyer has had.

Unfortunately, if the purchase was made before 01 Oct 2015 the Sale of Goods Act 1979 applies and the is no such limit on the number of repair attempts.

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
I thought I would lighten the mood ( some hope) by commenting on a post some pages back asking about the range and struggling to understand the variability. I did this ride on Sunday - covered 60 miles including 5200 ft of ascent and had 17miles left in the battery at the end. All done in Eco Mode.https://www.strava.com/activities/925031152

On the other hand I did this ride the next day 27 miles and 2,188 ft of climbing and had only 2 miles left at the end. https://www.strava.com/activities/926215789

The difference, well I really pushed the speed on the second ride using full power on the climbs, also very strong headwind for much of the way, using a lot of power even going downhill. Even Strava which knows nothing about the weather calculates a lot more power output on he second ride.

Oh and no I haven't had any problems with my motor yet but it hasn't done a big mileage.

PJR

Just Joined
Nov 29, 2016
West Midlands
Reading this forum it's obvious that both sides have extremely strong views. The one comment I would make is that if the latest impulse motor is so reliable why are kalkhoff producing some electric bikes with Bosch motors