Ongoing reliability of Kalkhoff/Focus Impulse 2 motors

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
@ Reseg, please don't send me private messages.

I disliked your post, on the grounds that martincecho might not choose to document their rides, and even if they did, they don't have to prove it to you, or to anyone else.

You also made a point of mentioning martincecho's low post count, and insinuated that they might have only joined the forum to add to this thread in a positive way. Did you fail to spot that his membership pre dates that of your own, and that their post count is higher.

Last edited:

Reseg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 25, 2015
www.youtube.com
@ Reseg, please don't send me private messages.

I disliked your post, on the grounds that martincecho might actually have a life, and don't choose to document their rides, and even if they did, they don't have to prove it to you, or anyone else.
Hello drama! /nothanks!
We all have lives outside of this forum (or, most) which is why many have very few posts. Anyways, just like I documented my motor problems with pics and details, I'd think it's very helpful to give context to exactly what "hills" and "heavily" ridden means. Considering support told me their bike wasn't meant to handle how I ride, as they told me it needed a 4th motor...

If you don't agree that it would be helpful for those researching these things, then I guess we don't agree!

Last edited:

martincecho

Oct 27, 2015
belfast, northern ireland
I don't want to call you a liar, but it would greatly help to see at least your GPS tracking data showing your documented total distance, ave speed, and elevation, from a site like Strava. Just to confirm how "heavily" you're riding it. The definition may be much different for you :) Support even told me their bikes aren't made to be put through what I do, which is 40 miles a day of commuting really fast.

Mine now has under 4k miles and needs a 4th motor. Yet, at the same time, my Stromer ST2 just passed 11,000 miles and it appears to be brand new still and I ride both bikes EXACTLY the same, on the same commute route. The only issue the ST2 had was the front wheel bearing wore out. I find it hard to believe you took a Kalkhoff bike (having an engineering backgorund and knowing its build quality) 10k miles of hills and riding it rough, withOUT a problem to note, and that you joined just to say this! I guess anything is possible, though!
Im using it for travel to work, with my son to scool and for shooping, or weekends for trips with son, everywhere,lot km, lot hills but not agresive riding. Easy, I just think is not so bad as it looks when someone reading this forum.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 person

martincecho

Oct 27, 2015
belfast, northern ireland
So that we all don't think that you're another 50 cycles Stooge. Please show us a picture of your bike in Belfast with 10,000 km on the display.
Why 50cycles? Thats your enemy not my. On my displey is 920km, because it counts till 9999 only. And sorry for my positive experience with impulse 2.0 motor, its not my fault, its just going well. Im just lucky maybe but thats not reason call me liar or someone stooge. Have nice day

D

Deleted member 4366

Why 50cycles? Thats your enemy not my. On my displey is 920km, because it counts till 9999 only. And sorry for my positive experience with impulse 2.0 motor, its not my fault, its just going well. Im just lucky maybe but thats not reason call me liar or someone stooge. Have nice day
Nobody called you a liar and nobody called you a stooge, but many will be suspicious that you're a stooge if you don't provide the proof. Also, why do you think 50 Cycles are my enemy? Where did a new forum member, who's only just posted a few posts about his bike get that idea from?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Am I alone in not understanding half of people's posts. Or has the English language just "moved on".
No, it's native speakers of other languages who've moved onto other lands, including English speaking ones.

I'm in awe of their achievements. Only the other day I came across th example of Phillipino women who've moved to the Faroe Islands for marriage, to overcome the desperate shortage of resident Faroes women.

Already native Phillipino speaking, they are also excellent English speakers and are mastering the extremely difficult Faroese language.

And there's me only mastering two languages, good and bad English.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
I don't think it's hard to believe that there are Impulse 2 motors that have gone 10,000 miles and beyond. The purpose of this thread is to get an idea of how reliable/unreliable it is overall, so if users post their successes, it helps to balance out the failures and give people a better idea as to the actual failure rate.

Personally I found the Impulse 2 to be unreliable (over the span of 2 motors) but that doesn't mean everyone else has experienced the same.

For example, my first motor survived (albeit with niggling problems) over 2,000 miles, whilst the next only lasted a few hundred. The first lasted much longer.

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't think it's hard to believe that there are Impulse 2 motors that have gone 10,000 miles and beyond. The purpose of this thread is to get an idea of how reliable/unreliable it is overall, so if users post their successes, it helps to balance out the failures and give people a better idea as to the actual failure rate..
Yes, but we want genuine data, not stooges adding fake data to swing the average to an unrealistic value.

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
Nobody called you a liar and nobody called you a stooge, but many will be suspicious that you're a stooge if you don't provide the proof. Also, why do you think 50 Cycles are my enemy? Where did a new forum member, who's only just posted a few posts about his bike get that idea from?
Why are you saying martincecho is a new forum member? On my screen it says he joined in Oct 2015, which I wouldn't say made him "new".

D

Deleted member 4366

Why are you saying martincecho is a new forum member? On my screen it says he joined in Oct 2015, which I wouldn't say made him "new".
I've been on this forum a long time. Based on what I've read, my opinion is that there are more than one case of 50C using alternative accounts or stooges to promote their bikes. Unfortunately, these days the proportion of forum members who are truly independent of commercial bias seems to be lower than it's ever been, which now makes it difficult for people to get genuine advice.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
D8veh be careful!

If you have activated a "sleeper cell".

I've seen them in films and it does not end well, especially if you are the CIA.

• :D
Reactions: redalexx

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Yes, but we want genuine data, not stooges adding fake data to swing the average to an unrealistic value.
I agree with you on this, but I cannot see evidence that this particular member is. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt unless there is any particular reason not to.

• Agree
Reactions: 4bound and EddiePJ
D

Deleted member 4366

I agree with you on this, but I cannot see evidence that this particular member is. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt unless there is any particular reason not to.
I'm not saying he is a stooge, but there's no evidence to say he isn't. Any normal member would have no reason not to provide the evidence, then we could add his info to the category of meaningful data.

Cyberdoggie

Just Joined
May 9, 2017
san francisco, ca
I have a Focus Aventura Speed I bought in October 2016. I ride it 8 miles a day to and from work. I use it in the sport/power combo mode. (highest assist) In November it started making this terrible noise. It eventually went away after two weeks but after that my motor was very unresponsive. it took a lot more pressure to make it work and even took a huge amount of force to even wake it up after I was stopped. I brought it back to where I bought it and they replaced the motor. ( paid $150 for the motor to be put in, because I'd waited until March to get it fixed - and Focus only includes Labor for the first three months after the bike is sold. I should have read the fine print.) Anyhow, I still hear that intermittent cracking when I ride the bike. Making me wonder if the bike is just slowly disintegrating as I ride it. I cannot recommend this bike to anyone. Has focus/kalkhoff acknowledged this issue and explained that they are fixing it with an improved motor? Or do they just keep putting back in motors with design flaws every time. (sorry - i didn't read all 33 pages of discussion so apologies if this was discussed already) And I just joined this forum to discuss this issue, so sorry that I have zero conversation points here. Thanks - Mark