Ongoing reliability of Kalkhoff/Focus Impulse 2 motors

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
They couldn't get away with that in the UK, don't you have any sort of Sale of Goods Act in US.

Cyberdoggie

Just Joined
May 9, 2017
san francisco, ca
They couldn't get away with that in the UK, don't you have any sort of Sale of Goods Act in US.
Not sure. I'm still trying to see if there is a fix or whether I need to dump the bike. Seems like the newer version has significant performance issues. I read thebnrest of the posts and it seems that people have this as an ongoing problem.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Nobody called you a liar and nobody called you a stooge, but many will be suspicious that you're a stooge if you don't provide the proof. Also, why do you think 50 Cycles are my enemy? Where did a new forum member, who's only just posted a few posts about his bike get that idea from?
.. actually both yourself and reseg introduced those two terms. I would have found them offensive were they applied to me without evidence or at very least strong suspicions...
In his response he indicated that his usage was up and down hills on the roads , .
So as this is normal behaviour, why would his bike not last.
What might be worth examining would be the statement by reseg that his usage was. " heavy. " As described by his bicycle shop. According to his statement that he is on a 4th motor after a total of 4000 miles on 40 mile daily trips , this means that his motors are failing after 20 days usage... . He also states that he is travelling fast , presumably in excess of 15 mph so that means either he is not using his motor or has used it illegally...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

.. actually both yourself and reseg introduced those two terms. I would have found them offensive were they applied to me without evidence or at very least strong suspicions...
In his response he indicated that his usage was up and down hills on the roads , .
What might be worth examining would be the statement by reseg that his usage was. " heavy. " As described by his bicycle shop. According to his statement that he is on a 4th motor after a total of 4000 miles on 40 mile daily trips , this means that his motors are failing after 20 days usage... . He also states that he is travelling fast , presumably in excess of 15 mph so that means either he is not using his motor or has used it illegally...
Still no evidence though! If somebody posted that in response to me and my bike. I would have wheeled my bike outside, leant it against a street name sign, taken a photo of it showing the mileage reading, then come back on the forum and said, "stick that where the sun doesn't shine".

Using a word is not the same as giving somebody a label. i asked the guy to provide evidence to prevent the suspicion that he was a stooge. Neither did I call him a liar. He introduced that word himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

glyn morris

Just Joined
Dec 12, 2016
south wales
Still no evidence though! If somebody posted that in response to me and my bike. I would have wheeled my bike outside, leant it against a street name sign, taken a photo of it showing the mileage reading, then come back on the forum and said, "stick that where the sun doesn't shine".

Using a word is not the same as giving somebody a label. i asked the guy to provide evidence to prevent the suspicion that he was a stooge. Neither did I call him a liar. He introduced that word himself.
Sooo as he has not provided you with "evidence" to your "im not calling you a stooge", in your eyes is he a stooge yes/no? also he did not bring up the "Im not calling you a liar" you will find it was Reseg on page 32 message 20 (bit of a theme going on there with the "im not calling you...") Im a newish member and first message. i don't record mileage or use strava/stravo or do digital photography,i just ride a bike, so am i going to get the jackboot treatment too?

D

Deleted member 4366

Jeez, you guys, read what's written. I never said anybody was a liar. I never said anybody else said anybody else was a liar, neither did I call anybody a stooge nor did I say that anybody else said that somebody is a stooge. What I said is that there's enough evidence to raise suspicion that stooges are used on this forum, and the most suspicion has been over 50 Cycles.

Because of this suspicion, it would be best if people making suspicious posts would provide evidence that they're not stooges.

When you've been on this forum as long as I have, you get to recognise what's normal. Some things stand out as being not normal.

A while ago there was some activity on the forum, where a guy was posing as a Kalkhoff owner. A friend of a friend, who I trust, told me that the poster was using the same IP as 50C. IIRC, his account was closed by Admin. I can only say that's a rumour because I don't have the evidence to reproduce. Ask Flecc about his opinion on it. There was a big hoo hah on the forum at the time, when people got wind of it. I'm sure he'll remember all the details.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ask Flecc about his opinion on it. There was a big hoo hah on the forum at the time, when people got wind of it. I'm sure he'll remember all the details.
This is absolutely correct, there has been definite occasions of fake members being entered as members of this forum on behalf of the company concerned.

There's even been far, far worse behaviour, but I'd rather not expand this into an embarrassing situation for all concerned, including pedelecs, so I'm asking you to take my word for it.

Let's just hope the company now continues to keep its act clean for the future.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
This is absolutely correct, there has been definite occasions of fake members being entered as members of this forum on behalf of the company concerned.

There's even been far, far worse behaviour, but I'd rather not expand this into an embarrassing situation for all concerned, including pedelecs, so I'm asking you to take my word for it.

Let's just hope the company now continues to keep its act clean for the future.
What happened to Nigel01's posts?

Edit - oh, he's on my ignore list. Forgot about that.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: IR772
D

Deleted member 4366

I agree with Flecc. Lets not dig up the past. The only thing I try to achieve on this forum is to keep people properly informed by accurate information so that they can make correct decisions.

Like Flecc, I have absolutely no commercial interest in anything to do with E-bikes. I don't have any axe to grind with any organisations or members, but I will challenge any facts presented if I believe that they could cause someone to make a wrong decision.

I was a Schoolteacher for 10 years. There were some very bad kids. As far as I was concerned, each time they come into the classroom, they had a clean sheet. I judged them and treated them equally to any of the other kids until, they contravened the classroom rules. then, I would deal with them regarding their behaviour. It's the same on the forum. If 50C behave themselves, I'd never say a thing against them, except if people asked for an opinion, I'd have to give it as i see it. I don't see them as my enemy. there's various forum members that are always trying to get one over me because I challenged some of what they wrote. That's just a bit of fun. I bear no animosity to them either.

Reseg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 25, 2015
www.youtube.com
Here's what some might consider an interesting fact about me:
You don't have to make any assumptions! All of my rides are documented for PUBLIC view. You can see the power I put into the bike, since I use Powertap pedals, you can see the heart rate and GPS, for further data that proves my usage, and you can see accumulated mileage. The Impulse 2 motor (Focus) 3,954.8 mi and the Stromer ST2 11,341.0 mi, at the time of this post (May 11, 2017 mid-day), take a look:
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1007634

In addition, you can see my comparison videos and commute video I did, showing exactly how and where I ride:
https://www.youtube.com/user/adamlalter/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

You can also see the post where I took the Impulse 2 motor apart, when my second one failed, where I showed the stripped plastic gear in it.

Your assumptions of "illegal usage" are 100% false.

Also, I never called him a liar. I'm a very open and honest person, blunt, in fact. I didn't beat around the bush and said I found it hard to believe, though, anything is possible. I just wanted to see data on what he considered heavy riding and hills, to put into context. I would also like to see his GPS data, because I KNOW many who think they ride 500 miles a month, but don't track it and in reality, it's more like 150-200, tops. Then, you have to also consider the fact that this is the internet. People DO lie, quite often. When a purchase of thousand$ is pending, real information would probably be appreciated, so some facts and proof are typically a plus, not something people argue against others asking for.

Love,
Adam

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Here's what some might consider an interesting fact about me:
You don't have to make any assumptions! All of my rides are documented for PUBLIC view. You can see the power I put into the bike, since I use Powertap pedals, you can see the heart rate and GPS, for further data that proves my usage, and you can see accumulated mileage. The Impulse 2 motor (Focus) 3,954.8 mi and the Stromer ST2 11,341.0 mi, at the time of this post (May 11, 2017 mid-day), take a look:
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1007634

In addition, you can see my comparison videos and commute video I did, showing exactly how and where I ride:
https://www.youtube.com/user/adamlalter/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

You can also see the post where I took the Impulse 2 motor apart, when my second one failed, where I showed the stripped plastic gear in it.

Your assumptions of "illegal usage" are 100% false.

Also, I never called him a liar. I'm a very open and honest person, blunt, in fact. I didn't beat around the bush and said I found it hard to believe, though, anything is possible. I just wanted to see data on what he considered heavy riding and hills, to put into context. I would also like to see his GPS data, because I KNOW many who think they ride 500 miles a month, but don't track it and in reality, it's more like 150-200, tops. Then, you have to also consider the fact that this is the internet. People DO lie, quite often. When a purchase of thousand$ is pending, real information would probably be appreciated, so some facts and proof are typically a plus, not something people argue against others asking for.

Love,
Adam
... Ok, I note from your strava link that you are USA based. That means that your bike has been configured so as to legally provide electric power up to 20 miles per hour. In Europe such bikes are configured for 15.5mph. .. that was the discrepancy that I had noted and my only assumption was that it was a European posting.
The power being consumed by your bike in the range 15 to 20 mph will be greatly in excess of the power in the range 10 to 15 mph, ... I estimate that the wind resistance power loss alone at 20 mph is 2.4 times that at 15mph, and that is either coming from your legs or the battery.
To commence a posting with the phrase .. "I am not calling you a liar but... " Is very close to . . many fights would have started outside pubs in Ireland for less!.
There are plenty of people like yourself who have all the ancillary gear of GPS and performance measurement, but there are a vast number more who don't and are neither interested or bothered, I would expect that my fellow countryman , from Belfast, is like myself in that regard.

Reactions: glyn morris

Roger R

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2015
I was one of the first people to post about problems with my impulse 2 motor on my Pro-Connect 10. I even took a video of the problem and shared it with 50 Cycles. Based on the obvious evidence they replaced the motor about 18 months ago without question. The only problem it was the same model motor (V2).

Four the past 18 months I have been really careful with the bike and only really used it in Eco mode. Partly because of concerns about the motor and partly because I'm using the motor less and less these days anyway.

About a month ago I started experiencing a different problem. Whilst riding (with motor on and off) sometimes the drive would disconnect and it would just not engage. If I back pedaled it would be ok again but clearly a problem.

I contacted 50 Cycles and asked them to check it and to do a service. I took it in earlier this week and they fitted a new 2.2 motor and did the service for free.

Even though the whole episode with the motors has been very frustrating this is clearly an issue with the manufacturer and I have to say 50 Cycles have responded well. Fingers crossed for my next 12 months although now I'm much more confident

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
[QUOTE="Roger R, post: 376869, member: 14303"

About a month ago I started experiencing a different problem. Whilst riding (with motor on and off) sometimes the drive would disconnect and it would just not engage. If I back pedaled it would be ok again but clearly a problem.

I contacted 50 Cycles and asked them to check it and to do a service. I took it in earlier this week and they fitted a new 2.2 motor and did the service for free.

Even though the whole episode with the motors has been very frustrating this is clearly an issue with the manufacturer and I have to say 50 Cycles have responded well. Fingers crossed for my next 12 months although now I'm much more confident

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I'm having this problem now.

It appears to be the transmission. It happens when the motor is off. I was being tailgated by a car, freewheeling at about 18 mph, when I attempted to pull away and the pedals went round and round without any push.

Fed up. I think I will have to take it back again.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I was one of the first people to post about problems with my impulse 2 motor on my Pro-Connect 10. I even took a video of the problem and shared it with 50 Cycles. Based on the obvious evidence they replaced the motor about 18 months ago without question. The only problem it was the same model motor (V2).

Four the past 18 months I have been really careful with the bike and only really used it in Eco mode. Partly because of concerns about the motor and partly because I'm using the motor less and less these days anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

How is the bike going? Looking for prognosis. It doesn't look promising. I need a bike that works and I borrowed money on mine.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if they replace the motor 2 times and it fails again under trading standards new rules they now have to give you your money back.

Repair/replacement did not resolve the problem - what am I entitled to? If the repair or replacement take too long, causes you significant inconvenience or cannot be carried out, you are entitled to a reduction in the purchase price, a full refund or more likely, a partial refund based on the use you have had out of the goods. It is worth noting that the law does not require you to accept three repairs as some traders may say before claiming another remedy. The nature and number of repairs are determined by the facts of the individual case.

https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/images/ca63_tcm44-238483.pdf

Last edited:

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
if they replace the motor 2 times and it fails again under trading standards new rules they now have to give you your money back.

Repair/replacement did not resolve the problem - what am I entitled to? If the repair or replacement take too long, causes you significant inconvenience or cannot be carried out, you are entitled to a reduction in the purchase price, a full refund or more likely, a partial refund based on the use you have had out of the goods. It is worth noting that the law does not require you to accept three repairs as some traders may say before claiming another remedy. The nature and number of repairs are determined by the facts of the individual case.

https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/images/ca63_tcm44-238483.pdf
I was under the impression a new law came into effect in 2015 and that under that law if a product develops a fault within the first six months of purchase the onus is on the shop to prove the fault did not exist when they sold the product, also they got just one chance of repair.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

• Agree
Reactions: soundwave

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
I was under the impression a new law came into effect in 2015 and that under that law if a product develops a fault within the first six months of purchase the onus is on the shop to prove the fault did not exist when they sold the product, also they got just one chance of repair.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act
The one chance to repair is indeed from the 2015 consumer act. However, you are still protected under the Sale of Good Act (SOGA) prior to that.

It does not state that the merchant only has one chance to do a good repair, but it states that good sold in the UK should be of appropriate quality and last a reasonable time.