Ongoing reliability of Kalkhoff/Focus Impulse 2 motors

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
I contacted 50 Cycles and asked them to check it and to do a service. I took it in earlier this week and they fitted a new 2.2 motor and did the service for free.
Is there really such thing as a 2.2 version?

Apart from the 50 Cycles site, I can't really find any reference to the Impulse 2.2 motor, even on the Kalkhoff site. On the 50 Cycles site, when you look at the full specification pictures for the various bikes (example: Pro Connect i10), the Kalkhoff documents say "Impulse 2.0".

Their own Beat range was supposed to be on 2.2, but some people have reported here receiving 2.0 motors.

• Agree
Reactions: Perseus

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
The one chance to repair is indeed from the 2015 consumer act. However, you are still protected under the Sale of Good Act (SOGA) prior to that.

It does not state that the merchant only has one chance to do a good repair, but it states that good sold in the UK should be of appropriate quality and last a reasonable time.
The relevant part is this.

If you are outside the 30-day right to reject, you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods or digital content which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.

You can state your preference, but the retailer can normally choose whichever would be cheapest or easier for it to do.

If the attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful, you can then claim a refund or a price reduction if you wish to keep the product.

If a repair or replacement is not possible, or the attempt at repair fails, or the first replacement also turns out to be defective, you have a further right to receive a refund of up to 100% of the price you paid, or to reject the goods for a full refund.

I know this as true because I bought a Samsung microwave from John Lewis and researched consumer law after it developed an overheating oven fault, they got Martin Dawes to repair it, when I got the microwave back it had the exact same fault so I phoned them, pointed out the new law and the fact they had tried to repair it once and failed, John Lewis then sent me a brand new replacement, the replacement had the exact same fault, I then got a full refund of the purchase price after rejecting the offer of another microwave or repair, they get one chance now, not repeated attempts.

• Informative
Reactions: Perseus and flecc

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015

If you are outside the 30-day right to reject, you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods or digital content which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.
That's the relevant part for the Consumer Rights Act, which is valid for goods bought since the 1st October 2015.

For goods purchased before the 1st October 2015, the Sale of Goods Act (SOGA) applies, and does not include that one attempt condition to repair or replace.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Is there really such thing as a 2.2 version?

Apart from the 50 Cycles site, I can't really find any reference to the Impulse 2.2 motor, even on the Kalkhoff site. On the 50 Cycles site, when you look at the full specification pictures for the various bikes (example: Pro Connect i10), the Kalkhoff documents say "Impulse 2.0".

Their own Beat range was supposed to be on 2.2, but some people have reported here receiving 2.0 motors.
I did my test ride on the 2.2 Impulse Drive as advertised but received the Impulse 2.0 motor.
Going back on Tuesday. This is a real drag as I'd sooner they fixed it. Inconvenient for my planned use which the bike cannot do as it is faulty and will not perform. I am not sure what bit is faulty?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I did my test ride on the 2.2 Impulse Drive as advertised but received the Impulse 2.0 motor.
Going back on Tuesday. This is a real drag as I'd sooner they fixed it. Inconvenient for my planned use which the bike cannot do as it is faulty and will not perform. I am not sure what bit is faulty?
From what you posted about the pedals just going round without drive, it sounds like the pawl assembly again. The Impulse units have suffered this problem, we've had threads about it with photos.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
From what you posted about the pedals just going round without drive, it sounds like the pawl assembly again. The Impulse units have suffered this problem, we've had threads about it with photos.
Thanks. I was thinking incompetence workmanship in putting the bike together or/% putting the bike together. Or faulty components. Lights do not work properly either. Quality control should have spotted the lights did not work properly? The transmission problem was suspected but regarded as a niggle at first until 100 miles done.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks. I was thinking incompetence workmanship in putting the bike together or/% putting the bike together. Or faulty components. Lights do not work properly either. Quality control should have spotted the lights did not work properly? The transmission problem was suspected but regarded as a niggle at first until 100 miles done.
There's information on the pawl problem from some owners in the posts on and following this link.

That's not the only possibility on yours, but it seems similar.

• Informative
Reactions: Perseus

Nigel01

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2016

You can state your preference, but the retailer can normally choose whichever would be cheapest or easier for it to do.

If the attempt at a repair or replacement is unsuccessful, you can then claim a refund or a price reduction if you wish to keep the product.

If a repair or replacement is not possible, or the attempt at repair fails, or the first replacement also turns out to be defective, you have a further right to receive a refund of up to 100% of the price you paid, or to reject the goods for a full refund.

I know this as true because I bought a Samsung microwave from John Lewis and researched consumer law after it developed an overheating oven fault, they got Martin Dawes to repair it, when I got the microwave back it had the exact same fault so I phoned them, pointed out the new law and the fact they had tried to repair it once and failed, John Lewis then sent me a brand new replacement, the replacement had the exact same fault, I then got a full refund of the purchase price after rejecting the offer of another microwave or repair, they get one chance now, not repeated attempts.
Maybe you upset them!

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Check out this http://www.50cycles.com/kalhoff-impulse-2.html

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
it says:

What does this mean out on the road? You'll find changing gear while riding is seamless - no need to pause pedalling while riding with hub gears. There's a very satisfying power boost on each gear change and it works particularly well while riding uphill. Both your bike's gears and chain are likely to last longer too as Shift Assist will shield them from the motor's power when they're most vulnerable, during gear changes.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015

It is easy to return goods that cost very little, I've found. All small shops and expensive items and it is difficult in varying degrees. Small Claims Court took me nearly a year of waiting.

Roger R

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2015
Because it refers to 2.2 I'm not sure if some of this relates to a hardware upgrade or it all just relates to the original 2

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

signwave

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2016
Hampshire
if they replace the motor 2 times and it fails again under trading standards new rules they now have to give you your money back.

Repair/replacement did not resolve the problem - what am I entitled to? If the repair or replacement take too long, causes you significant inconvenience or cannot be carried out, you are entitled to a reduction in the purchase price, a full refund or more likely, a partial refund based on the use you have had out of the goods. It is worth noting that the law does not require you to accept three repairs as some traders may say before claiming another remedy. The nature and number of repairs are determined by the facts of the individual case.

https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/images/ca63_tcm44-238483.pdf
Unfortunately that leaflet you are quoting from is out of date.
It appears to have been published in July 2015 and makes no mention at all of The Consumer Rights Act which came into effect in October 2015.
That is especially disappointing when one reads this sentence on that leaflet:
To ensure that you are looking at the most up-to-date version of this leaflet, please visit our website at http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/images/ca63_tcm44-238483.pdf
Under the CRA the seller has only one chance at a repair.

If the goods need a second repair, even if it is not the same fault, the consumer has a statutory right to be able to reject the goods for a refund. After six months following the sale that refund can be reduced to take account of the use you have had but no deduction can be made during the first six months.

Section 24 of The Consumer Rights Act 2015 refers.

Remo

Just Joined
Jun 18, 2017
Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and came across it following motor issues with my Kalkhoff Tasmin purchased in October 2015 from 50 cycles which had the impulse 2 motor. For 18 months I rode this bike for about 400 miles (just leisure rides at the weekends) but I could never seem to get up any decent hill without having to stop and recover every 15-20 mins. I just thought I was very unfit. Anyway on further investigation and discussions with 50 cycles it seems even in power mode the motor wasn't supplying the assistance it should. Which is probably why the battery seemed to last forever! Anyway 50 cycles arranged to pick it up for further inspection. They returned the bike after about 3 weeks having replaced the motor with the newer 2.2 version.

I tried it out for this first time this morning and couldn't believe the level of assist it gave compared to previously. Fantastic I thought and set off on my usual Sunday morning route. Anyway after about 2 miles I heard a loud clank as opposed to a clack. I also felt the pedals slip a bit as well. This happened again a few minutes later and then again and again each time feeling worse than the previous until there was a continuos clanking and the pedals seemed to go round with no power. At this stage I got off the bike and had to push it home.

So not only have I been riding a 26Kg bike around the place for with next to no assistance for the last 18 months I'm now having to push the damn the thing around.

Not happy. It's a refund for me I think.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
there was a continuos clanking and the pedals seemed to go round with no power. At this stage I got off the bike and had to push it home.
It's the crank pawl freewheel that's failed, a known fault that a few have suffered. They'll probably change the unit rather than repair it.

D

Deleted member 4366

Is this the new improved version of the engine, which Scott told us was fixed, that has failed?

• Informative
Reactions: Will Tinker

prokaryote

Just Joined
Jan 14, 2008
Claverham, North Somerset
Just thought I should add my experience of the impulse motor to this thread. I had the Agattu with the impulse 1 motor originally (2012). This motor failed completely when the crankshaft suddenly stopped being turned at all by the motor: this was replaced under warranty (18 months old at the time) with an impulse 2. The replacement impulse 2 motor lasted 18 months before it lost power and started making load screeching noises. This one wasn't replaced under warranty (I argued that it should be, but 50 cycles refused) so I purchased a new impulse 2 motor. This motor lasted about another year before the usual noises began and was replaced under warranty. The replacement has - predictably - also started making screeching noises and I can't be bothered any more.
I have a work colleague who purchased an impulse 2 Kalkhoff Agattu just over 2 years ago and his motor has just failed, so at least I know I'm not just unlucky. I had a cheap Chinese hub motor bike prior to buying the Kalkhoff and the motor on that lasted much better than the impulse: so much for German engineering. I definitely won't be purchasing another Kalkhoff - I've decided that I may as well buy something cheap as the Impulse build quality is certainly not up to daily commuting.

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and came across it following motor issues with my Kalkhoff Tasmin purchased in October 2015 from 50 cycles which had the impulse 2 motor. For 18 months I rode this bike for about 400 miles (just leisure rides at the weekends) but I could never seem to get up any decent hill without having to stop and recover every 15-20 mins. I just thought I was very unfit. Anyway on further investigation and discussions with 50 cycles it seems even in power mode the motor wasn't supplying the assistance it should. Which is probably why the battery seemed to last forever! Anyway 50 cycles arranged to pick it up for further inspection. They returned the bike after about 3 weeks having replaced the motor with the newer 2.2 version.

I tried it out for this first time this morning and couldn't believe the level of assist it gave compared to previously. Fantastic I thought and set off on my usual Sunday morning route. Anyway after about 2 miles I heard a loud clank as opposed to a clack. I also felt the pedals slip a bit as well. This happened again a few minutes later and then again and again each time feeling worse than the previous until there was a continuos clanking and the pedals seemed to go round with no power. At this stage I got off the bike and had to push it home.

So not only have I been riding a 26Kg bike around the place for with next to no assistance for the last 18 months I'm now having to push the damn the thing around.

Not happy. It's a refund for me I think.