Organic Transit - Elf solar electric trike

BrianP

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2012
What do you guys make of this?

http://organictransit.com/

It has a 100W solar panel that they state will recharge the 48v 11Ah battery in 7 to 8 hours in bright sunshine. An optional larger 15Ah battery can be supplied.

My interest in this is that I want to ride 20 miles to the beach, stay for the day, and ride home. So the 528WH should get me there, and then solar charge enough to assist my tired legs to get me home.

For local riding I like the high visible profile, I found a low sitting trike rather worrying on the roads.
Brian

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It is going to be slower than a classic tadpole. You found the traffic worrying not the trike itself I presume?

Don't believe the charging marketing speak. If your road is flat and you have no headwinds it will do the job. You can carry extra batteries, you have the space!

Over on ES there is a Norwegian who built his own more aerodynamic and closed trike - very nice build.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=62827&hilit=velomobile

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It has a 100W solar panel that they state will recharge the 48v 11Ah battery in 7 to 8 hours in bright sunshine.
In Australia or California maybe there's a chance Brian, but in what passes for sunshine if you are in Britain, I think it would be very unlikely to fully recharge the battery in a few hours at the beach.

Another thing to take into account is onshore and offshore summer breezes. In the morning the breeze is onshore, at the end of the day offshore. That means if there is any breeze you will always be riding against it, morning and late afternoon. With such a large body creating wind resistance, that shortens range, something to be reckoned with.

Reactions: VictoryV

BrianP

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2012
My favourite design is the Podride. http://www.jmk-innovation.se/?lang=en

The rational for the dsign, which is first class, is very similar to the Elf.

I would use such a machine just around local New Forest roads, but on a lovely day, it would be good to ride a longer distance to Sandbanks and back. Hence the sun shine would be strong for the full day I would spend there. So hopefully 8 hours of strong summer sun might get me home. This is the first possible solution to getting home. Most solutions cannot get me there and back.

Thanks for the link to the superb home build. So skilled. Amazing.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Both the Elf and the Podride will have to be pedelecs under the new law in force now, that is they'll have to be pedalled all the time to get power. At present the Podride doesn't appear to be a pedelec design, but they can easily change that.

As for the recharge in 8 hours being sufficient, you'll only know if you try the Elf. I agree with the sellers that 8 hours of bright sunshine could be just enough, but how often do we ever get that?

Most of our better summer days have skies up to half covered with passing clouds, and on the "clear" days the sky is often a milky blue due to haze, pollution or high cirrus cloud remnants. Either way those slash the amount of charge from the panel.

I know your area well but of course don't know the route you'll use and any climbs you'll encounter. Obviously the flatter the better.

Cotterpin

Just Joined
Feb 23, 2016

For local riding I like the high visible profile, I found a low sitting trike rather worrying on the roads.
Brian
With 2 15Ah batteries, the ELF has traveled as far as 90 miles. The solar is always working if it's daylight and just adds to the range. It is correct that how long it takes to recharge will be dependent on the solar conditions. A couple of misconceptions I'd like to clarify. The ELF is not slower than regular tadpole recumbents or Ebikes and usually faster. The larger wheels diminish rolling resistance and provide a smoother ride while decreasing rolling resistance. Aerodynamics are actually good despite the emphasis on practicality. You can see an aerodynamic study on the website. Side winds hardly effect the ELF because of the large door openings. Another interesting aspect is the ELF can carry up to a 550 lb payload. So a rider and passenger is really very efficient, in the right conditions almost like stored energy.

electrickery

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2015
fife scotland
flecc said.."Another thing to take into account is onshore and offshore summer breezes. In the morning the breeze is onshore, at the end of the day offshore."
With respect flecc a seabreeze is an onshore breeze which occurs when the hot air rises as the land heats up on a sunny day pulling in the cool air from the sea. Just thought i'd mention it for the sake of accuracy.
Regards

Reactions: Cotterpin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
flecc said.."Another thing to take into account is onshore and offshore summer breezes. In the morning the breeze is onshore, at the end of the day offshore."
With respect flecc a seabreeze is an onshore breeze which occurs when the hot air rises as the land heats up on a sunny day pulling in the cool air from the sea. Just thought i'd mention it for the sake of accuracy.
Regards
I was accurate for a very sunny day that the OP envisages, since the land heating up would start occurring early on. Of course if he set out early the breeze wouldn't yet be present. And the reverse happens late in the day. Also to avoid inaccuracy I used the expression "summer breezes" rather than the specific sea breeze you refer to.

How much all this would affect him will depend very much on when he travelled of course, but I warned of the possibility so that it could be considered.

I still think the prospect of the Elf doing what's wanted is very marginal in our climate, so every small effect could be important.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have always liked the elf but I have my mid life crisis to take care of - I need something sexier and more sporty. OK I did the whole sports car thing back in my 20's (lucky sod) but now I am back and I want more!!! :rolleyes:

Where I live there are hills, wind and rain (lots but during a short time). Hills = I need it to be lighter because a pedelec is limited to 250 W. Wind I need it to be aerodynamic. Rain, well the elf has a roof and it doesn't fog up the screen because it is wide open compared to a sporty vélomobile. For a large load (2 people) in a flat country the elf is perfect (well you know what I mean). Here I need a vélomobile more like the eWAW.

We have much more sun than in the UK but I don't think it will charge itself, I trust a plug in the wall more than the sun for the km I would be doing.

BrianP

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2012
The summer sea breeze here on the south coast is normally a south westerly and might usually break through about mid-day. My ride to the beach is westerly so an early morning ride would normally be before the sea breeze begins.

If it is already an easterly breeze, then that would help on the way there, and then by afternoon the breeze overcomes the easterly and I would have the breeze behind me on the way home. Perfect.

If it's a westerly already in the morning, then by afternoon a strong westerly will be blowing. So that would be a ride against the wind on the way and a strong following wind home.

Thanks Cotterpn for your input, sounds like you know the Elf closely.

Have to say, having suffered with the "will the battery get me home" syndrome, the fat that I can sit there and just wait as the battery recharges does at least mean I can get home.

One question. Is it possibe to make the drive train free of the electric motor drag if one did have to pedal without battery power. My Kona Ute is terrible with the battery turned off, whereas an other e-bike rider I spoke to had no issues pedalling when saving power with the battery turned off.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One question. Is it possibe to make the drive train free of the electric motor drag if one did have to pedal without battery power. My Kona Ute is terrible with the battery turned off, whereas an other e-bike rider I spoke to had no issues pedalling when saving power with the battery turned off.
Is it definitely the motor? Pick up the front and spin the front wheel forward by hand and see how long it runs on. If it runs freely it means there's an internal freewheel and it's working, so the drag is the bike in general. The freewheel in this type of hub motor disconnects the motor drive from the hub when not driving, meaning no drag from that source.

If the front wheel doesn't spin freely and stops almost immediately, either the freewheel is jamming or the motor doesn't have one.

Most e-bike motors are freewheeled and don't add drag.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I live by the sea and can tell you that generally the wind blows just whatever way it pleases. mainly from the South West for most days. You only get this land/sea breeze on settled days when there is little or no wind.
In South Wales we seem to get a settled day about every 5 years.

Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Here is an example of the surface of solar panels one might need on the elf

Oh and that is Australian sun, the kind that will make your nose peel after 5 minutes exposure.

Paul Hanson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2017
Surrey

It has a 100W solar panel that they state will recharge the 48v 11Ah battery in 7 to 8 hours in bright sunshine. An optional larger 15Ah battery can be supplied.

My interest in this is that I want to ride 20 miles to the beach, stay for the day, and ride home. So the 528WH should get me there, and then solar charge enough to assist my tired legs to get me home.

Brian
I bet they make laws that make this bike illegal in the uk but Technology will win in the end despite the laws.

D

Deleted member 4366

I bet they make laws that make this bike illegal in the uk but Technology will win in the end despite the laws.
It already is illegal in the UK. It would need a Type Approval certificate of conformance to register it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Elf Starting at $8,895.00 - I can buy a second hand Twizy for 4300 € from a Renault garage, with a guarantee, and it will go further and faster than the Elf and is legal on the road...

Tell me what you think about the Iris E-Trike I have just found this really blew me away.View attachment 19893
Do you have shares in a sun block company? That is un-ridable where I live you would cook in about 15 minutes (broiled) or slow roast to a crisp in an hour.

• Agree