Ortler Wien 7-Speed

Discussion in 'Electric Bike Reviews' started by Warwick, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Warwick

Warwick Pedelecer

I recently bought this bike via eBay from a gent who really wasn't cut out for commuting. It was bought by him in November 2017 and done 180 miles in the time since.

I picked it up from London earlier this week and rode it from Embankment to Marylebone Station with it as was. That was exciting! I soon got used to the cut & thrust of London traffic - it was snarled up, so easy! - but the main impediment was the fact that there was only about 15psi in the large tyres. I was bouncing around all over the place. I duly arrived in one piece and took it back home on the train.

A quick look round the next day showed that the brake cables had stretched and a bolt holding the mudguard in-situ had loosened. That was tightened up. Also, the suspension seatpost bounced me around like a jack-in-the-box. I took it off and screwed the adjustment bolt and it now seems much better, if a little squeaky. It was the work of a few minutes to rectify those little issues.

The bike is dusty, but otherwise almost as new. It's very well put together, as befits a German machine. The Bosch Active system works and the display is reasonably intuitive.

First impressions:

Good:
    Very well made
    Quality componentry - with one exception
    Built in lights - for being seen, not necessarily for seeing
    Comfy bar ends

Not-so-good/so-so:
    The battery is only 300w/8.4Ah
    The seatpost is a bit naff
    The rack does the job, but isn't top notch
    The adjustable stem brings the bars rather too close to me when raised
    The inner tubes have Woods valves (& will be replaced with prestas)
    It has a coaster brake - not my favourite, though it has its uses
    Twist grip shifter - I might see if a trigger shifter is available

Poor:
    The pedals are distinctly cheap & will be replaced at the weekend

I rode it into work today on my 9.5-mile commute. Not knowing how well the battery would stand up, I nursed it along in Eco mode most of the time, switching to Tour on hillier stretches. On the way home I can be a little more generous with the power (if the gauge can be believed) as I still have 4 bars out of 5. I'll try out the Sport and Turbo modes to see how it goes.

The Nexus gearing seems well suited to the task of commuter. I haven't ridden the route for 8 weeks, so was out of condition, but the range seems to suit the power available. It seems well geared at the lower range, which is good. I can always coast down hills, but need help uphill.

The brakes are good. My other bikes have discs, but the v-brakes stop it well enough. I can start to get used to using the coaster brake as a regulator.

I have some Raw mudguard extensions to fit at the weekend. I want to keep the Bosch unit as protected as possible. I may see if I have some bars that will counter the rather cramped riding position, but I'll tinker with the settings on the saddle rails and bars before doing that.

For £800 I'll consider it a bargain, but I hadn't realised how expensive Bosch Powerpack batteries and chargers are! A 500w battery is >£500! I may end up getting one though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Warwick, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. Deno

Deno Just Joined

Perhaps buy a spare charger to use in work, that's what I do. Also the Bosch range calculator may give you an idea of what range you can expect

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/

I would have thought you would complete a 2-way trip in sport on a 300wh battery easily. Either way it seems like you got a nice bike for not a lot of cash.

3. Warwick

Warwick Pedelecer

Thanks for the link, it's very useful. It estimates 35Km range at 25Km/h. Touch and go with a Badass fitted...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #3 Warwick, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Warwick

Warwick Pedelecer

A bit more tweaking today. I fitted some Raw mudguards to protect (me &) the transmission and fine-tuned the riding position. It's still not quite right, but I know what I need to do to to get it right. Part of the solution was to fit a non-suspension seatpost that has a very nice Selle Royal saddle attached.

I dusted it and adjusted the v brake clearances. On a short test ride, it rode very well in Sport mode. I'll try it on that setting on Monday's commute.

#4 Warwick, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  5. Warwick

Warwick Pedelecer

It did the 9-mile morning commute today in a combination of Tour and Sport modes and averaged 16.2MPH. Once my fitness returns, Tour mode will be about right.

It is a very smooth, accomplished machine and the Nexus hub works well. I suspect I may have to change the rear sprocket to raise the gearing, as I'm spinning out in top (7th) gear.

6. Warwick

Warwick Pedelecer

Right, I've now done the commute two days running and using Sport mode there and back, I'm only down to 2 bars when I get back home. That's at an average speed of >15MPH. That's better than I expected. Yesterday it was a 20-mile return trip, so the battery is lasting well.

7. Trevormonty

Trevormonty Pedelecer

Buy spider tool to allow you to remove chain ring, good to have for servicing and allows you to change chainring sizes to find right gearing. If it doesn't have bearing seal fit one (google bosch seal kit).

If you change gearing and move wheel in and out slightly can effect spoke magnet/sensor alignment. Will need to setup amd test ride.

Make sure you carry all tools needed to remove rear wheel in case of puncture. Best try it at home first.

An upgrade to Magura HSxx hydraulic rim brakes maybe worth considering, see how you get on in wet.

8. Warwick

Warwick Pedelecer

Thanks. If I do tweak the gearing - which is looking more likely - I will do it by changing the rear sprocket. I'm fairly sure I have a few in the garage. That won't affect the rear wheel position, but I'll probably need to shorten the chain a link or two.

The brakes are actually better than I was expecting. The rear coaster is useful to slow down on the approach to junctions and to regulate speed on downhill stretches.

How would I find out if the Bosch unit has a bearing seal? That sounds like a useful extra.

#8 Warwick, Sep 19, 2018 at 9:07 AM
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018 at 9:00 AM
  9. Deno

Deno Just Joined

Changing the front chainring is easy and painless imo. The only issue is that every increase of 1 tooth, for instance, equates to 2.5 teeth due to the gearbox in the CX.

Re. seal service, see attached .pdf. I get all my parts from bikediscount - chainrings and seal service kit in this example.

Edit - just remembered its a hub drive, doh.

Attached Files:

10. Warwick

Warwick Pedelecer

The rear sprocket change is much simpler and more incremental.

My bike is a mid-drive Bosch Active Line unit, but made after 2015, so it should have the seal, shouldn't it?

11. Deno

Deno Just Joined

12. Trevormonty

Trevormonty Pedelecer

My 2016 CX didn't have it but 2017 warranty replacement motor did. Wifes 2017 activeline has it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice