Overclockers Dream

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

I guess a few people have thought about over-clocking a light-weight motor, but have been a bit worried about the expense of replacing parts if it goes wrong. Maybe if the motor was fairly robust and only costs £35, a few more might want to have a go.

Here's your big chance. These motors are fairly safe at 900w if you don't make them struggle up hills. They're 24v, so should crack 30mph with 12S lipos at 18 to 20 amps.

It doesn't say whether they're sensored or sensorless. I would guess sensored, in which case they'd go pretty well with one of those BMSBattery 36v batteries with the included 20A sinewave controllers.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/8fun-electric-front-hub-qswxb/rp-prod117368

Edit: I've just seen in one of the photos a 3-pin connector, so they're sensorless, which rules out sinewave controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: twinkle

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Wonder if |I could fix one on my cheapie chinese scooter wheel.
Gonna order one and see what \i can sort.
If not it will be my first lesson in bike wheel building and can go on the lads Raliegh MTB

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Just had a thought!!!
I could put one on the front of my cyclamatic to make it a 2 wheel drive.
Will decide in the morning when I sober up!

D

Deleted member 4366

Two less. I got one too. You have to thank Friendly1uk, who pointed them out to me in an Ebay message.

D

Deleted member 4366

Let's say it does the normal 18mph in a 26" wheel at 24v.

In a 20" wheel at 36v, it would do 18 x 20/26 x 36/24 mph = 20.7 mph.

Until I test one, that's just a guess. They could have been removed from 20" wheels!

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
The one in their photo has a green sticker with 700c on it, suggesting they're from a 28” wheel. If the photo is correct and they're all the same they should be good for a 20” wheel at 36v.

D

Deleted member 4366

Well spotted, but that could mean that they're 180 rpm, which would mean 17mph max. We'll just have to wait!

friendly1uk

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2013
Two less. I got one too. You have to thank Friendly1uk, who pointed them out to me in an Ebay message.
I also got one. Moments after you said your were going to tell this lot lol

I would of shared really peeps, it just might not of been today :)

It's ideal, as I have a 12s ku65 bpm bike about to be upgraded. Freeing up everything except the motor. One of my mates will get a real cheap bike out of this offer :)

Moving from 12s free's up a bms I never got round to using. It's a double layer one. Just 50x60mm and maybe 20mm tall. I was going to pop it in a 2x3 tube with a few 4s 5Ah hk packs. Like a battery baton that could go under the bottom tube. If anyone would like to pick up on that idea, I will hold out on my 'for sale' advert. Screwfix sell a nice 55mmx105mm plastic ducting for a couple of quid that might wet someones appetite.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I guess a few people have thought about over-clocking a light-weight motor, but have been a bit worried about the expense of replacing parts if it goes wrong. Maybe if the motor was fairly robust and only costs £35, a few more might want to have a go.

Here's your big chance. These motors are fairly safe at 900w if you don't make them struggle up hills. They're 24v, so should crack 30mph with 12S lipos at 18 to 20 amps.

It doesn't say whether they're sensored or sensorless. I would guess sensored, in which case they'd go pretty well with one of those BMSBattery 36v batteries with the included 20A sinewave controllers.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/8fun-electric-front-hub-qswxb/rp-prod117368

Edit: I've just seen in one of the photos a 3-pin connector, so they're sensorless, which rules out sinewave controller.
Mine just turned up - It 5 has additional smaller pins in the connector - So I guess its is a sensored one.....

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
thanks Mike. Mine will turn up tomorrow.

I will use it on my spare 26 MTB on 36v and that should give me around 17mph

Reactions: Alan Quay
D

Deleted member 4366

I'm jealous. I ordered mine first and it still hasn't come. Grrrrr!

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
thanks Mike. Mine will turn up tomorrow.

I will use it on my spare 26 MTB on 36v and that should give me around 17mph
I plan to spin it into a 26 in rim, and put it onto my wifes bike at 36v. Her current motor tops out around 23mph. This will be slower and give more torque which will be more suitable for her.

I'll probably pair it with a KU65 that I accidentally spilled some solder on ;-)

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
I plan to spin it into a 26 in rim, and put it onto my wifes bike at 36v. Her current motor tops out around 23mph. This will be slower and give more torque which will be more suitable for her.

I'll probably pair it with a KU65 that I accidentally spilled some solder on ;-)
23mph with load? That is fast!

I also use standard KU65 for my 26MTB. However, I need to source a rim to build it on. Any nice and cheap 26 rim you know? :p

Pat

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014

I got one too, is it daft to ask whether it will work with a ku123?