Overclockers Dream

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

johneb

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2013
d8veh - I'd be really grateful for your thoughts on the suitability of this motor (running at 36v) for me, please (hill climbing is number one priority). You've previously recommended the BBS-01 and BPM - both of which are still on the cards - but I wondered how the torque of the QSWXB at 36v might compare?

Thanks, John

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
d8veh - I'd be really grateful for your thoughts on the suitability of this motor (running at 36v) for me, please (hill climbing is number one priority). You've previously recommended the BBS-01 and BPM - both of which are still on the cards - but I wondered how the torque of the QSWXB at 36v might compare?

Thanks, John
Unless you are going to put it in a 20" (or less) rim, then this is not a good hill climber. It certainly does not compare with a BPM.

johneb

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2013
Unless you are going to put it in a 20" (or less) rim, then this is not a good hill climber. It certainly does not compare with a BPM.
Thanks Mike - It would have been a 26" rim, so I'll probably give it a miss

D

Deleted member 4366

Get a BPM if you need hill-climbing. There's no comparison with a SWX motor. Obviously with a BPM, the more current you give it, the better it climbs, but then you need a more powerful and bigger battery, which means more weight.

This SWX motor isn't the best unless you're good at soldering because the connector has to be cut off and the wires soldered. Its main advantage is that it'll spin fast at 36v, so would be good for a light-weight high-speed bike. 30 mph should be achievable because I got that out of my Cyclamatic when I ran it at 48v.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Get a BPM if you need hill-climbing. There's no comparison with a SWX motor. Obviously with a BPM, the more current you give it, the better it climbs, but then you need a more powerful and bigger battery, which means more weight.

This SWX motor isn't the best unless you're good at soldering because the connector has to be cut off and the wires soldered. Its main advantage is that it'll spin fast at 36v, so would be good for a light-weight high-speed bike. 30 mph should be achievable because I got that out of my Cyclamatic when I ran it at 48v.
I guess putting a hub motor in a carbon fork is a no-no? I have b-twin and imagine this overvolted could be good as a light weight high speed setup?

johneb

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2013

Thanks Dave - I'm okay with the soldering, but will definitely pass on this one. Thanks for letting everyone know about the opportunity, though

Tangsoo

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2014
Got one of these delivered. Going to stick it in my Brompton and see what it does. Just got to sort a battery.
Do the small wires need to run in a screened multicore or will any (phone even?) multicore do?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
You must be able to count bloody fast. 370 rpm is over six times a second, I reckon 230 rpm is more like it.
Sorry, I meant to expand upon the method here.

Once upon a time, I played guitar in a punk band. As a result I can count in 4's at an incredible rate.

With a cable tie bashing on the mudguard at each revolution, I can get in sync with the rhythm, and tick off each 4 count on my fingers, until I've counted twenty. I simply time this, knowing that I will have 80 revs.

My count of 80 will be precise. The time on the stopwatch will be approximate. I repeated the test a few times. I got a variance of 0.5 second, around 13 sec

So, (13/60) x 80 = 369 RPM

Not massively accurate, but near enough for jazz!

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Connector pin-outs viewed with the polarizing pip on the body in the 12 o'clock position:

Small pins (0.8mm dia) from the top to the bottom

left - blue hall sensor
right- yellow hall sensor
centre upper- green hall sensor
centre lower- speed hall sensor
left- +5 volt
right- 0 volts

Large pins (3mm dia) from the top to the bottom

left- green phase
right- yellow phase
centre- blue phase

halls for phase sensors - Honeywell SS41
hall sensor for speed sensor - Honeywell SS43F ( 6 magnets located in end plate )

Last edited:

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Someone wrote a review at CRC saying

"This motor has 455RPM from 50v power supply (approx. Kv=9), which give us around 30km/h in 20 inch rim under load. Come without second part of connector, so be ready to cut it and solder the new one, compatible with your controller."

Identify yourself :D

Pat

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
No need to cut the connector off - buy a 9 way motor replacement cable and some gold female bullet connectors the right diameter - solder and heatshrink sleeve them to the other end of the male cable that usually goes inside the motor then plug them into the existing connector then seal it with glue.

twinkle

E-Triker
May 14, 2013
Peacehaven nr Brighton
and where to buy spokes and rim?
link posted earlier in this thread !!!!!!! for spokes ,

Rim it depends on size and type

Hope to fit the conversion in the next couple of weeks have bits will convert !!!!!!o_O

have bike will travel _ electric !! only problem is fitting the pedelec sensor to one of these cranks without a cotter pin on the rh crank so it will go on the left with an odd bracket..:eek:

E-folding shopper on the way !!!!
:cool:

regards emma