Overweight and looking for what to buy.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
All very encouraging I'm sure but my point remains regarding the efficiency of a bike.
"A human being travelling on a bicycle at 16–24 km/h (10–15 mph), using only the power required to walk, is the most energy-efficient means of human transport generally available."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_performance

It does follow that if burning up calories is your aim then there are more efficient ways to achieve this than bicycling
I'm afraid you are applying flawed logic.
All the above means is that you will travel FURTHER if you burn the same calories (and the effort you put in is under your control). And as others have alluded to, its far more interesting getting out and about and seeing a wide range of things (or travelling to places you'd otherwise have to use the car for), than say a slow, dreary, distance limited run.

Reactions: LeighPing

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
The most efficient way to lose weight is to cut some calories. Exercise is great but is a drop in the ocean compared to what you can lose by just cutting calories. If your very overweight the amount of calories you can probably burn when you exercise will be cancelled out by just one Donut

However, personally I've found exercise helps keep me on the straight and narrow. I don't want to eat junk and feel rubbish when I know I'm going for a weights session or ride the next day.

Exercise will help your body to keep muscle while your in calorific deficit.

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
I'm afraid you are applying flawed logic.
All the above means is that you will travel FURTHER if you burn the same calories (and the effort you put in is under your control). And as others have alluded to, its far more interesting getting out and about and seeing a wide range of things (or travelling to places you'd otherwise have to use the car for), than say a slow, dreary, distance limited run.
If ones aim is to reduce weight and burn calories then other forms of exercise will do this more efficiently.
As far your other point perhaps this might be interpreted as similar to what I said in my post?
"Cycling has other attractions however in that being outside in the fresh air and the sheer joy of cycling means that one is more likely to stick with cycling as a fitness programme than some other activity which is less enjoyable. The advantage of using an e-bike is in having the ability to precisely adjust the level of your input while still achieving your chosen destination and as has been said the assist can be tapered off as fitness is gained."

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
The most efficient way to lose weight is to cut some calories. Exercise is great but is a drop in the ocean compared to what you can lose by just cutting calories. If your very overweight the amount of calories you can probably burn when you exercise will be cancelled out by just one Donut

However, personally I've found exercise helps keep me on the straight and narrow. I don't want to eat junk and feel rubbish when I know I'm going for a weights session or ride the next day.

Exercise will help your body to keep muscle while your in calorific deficit.
Absolutely right and this is something most often overlooked by those seeking to lose weight. It's the combination of cutting calories and exercise that is necessary and cutting calories alone will affect the fat/muscle ratio in that it is muscle and not fat which will be first affected.

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
An overweight person and unfit to boot is unlikely to use the calories cycling that other activities use within a certain time.
The Mayo Clinic listed 36 forms of exercise by their calorific impact and leisure cycling burns 364/hour for a 200lb person whereas running at 5mph burns 755 calories/hour for the same weight of person...."vigorous" swimming comes in at 892 calories/hour.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/the-37-best-ways-to-burn-the-most-calories-in-an-hour-a7735111.html

Swimming...as is cycling is load-bearing...which is an advantage for an over-weight person but then again I would find this boring myself.

• Informative

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
The Mayo Clinic listed 36 forms of exercise by their calorific impact and leisure cycling burns 364/hour for a 200lb person whereas running at 5mph burns 755 calories/hour for the same weight of person...."vigorous" swimming comes in at 892 calories/hour.
Talk about cherry picking.
"leisure cycling" v "vigorous swimming" eh?
I bet you someone performing "vigorous cycling" could be getting up towards 1000 calories per hour and someone doing "leisure swimming" would be in the low hundreds.
And back to the original point, the 'efficiency' of cycling has nothing to do with how many calories you CAN burn if you want to.

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
Talk about cherry picking.
"leisure cycling" v "vigorous swimming" eh?
I bet you someone performing "vigorous cycling" could be getting up towards 1000 calories per hour and someone doing "leisure swimming" would be in the low hundreds.
And back to the original point, the 'efficiency' of cycling has nothing to do with how many calories you CAN burn if you want to.
"Cherry picking"? :eek:

Take your pick.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/10/14/calorie-burning-activities.html
http://calorielab.com/burned/?mo=se&gr=15&ti=sports&wt=150&un=lb&kg=68
http://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburned.htm
http://www.livestrong.com/article/474836-what-sport-burns-the-most-calories-per-hour/
http://uk.businessinsider.com/exercises-sports-burn-most-calories-2017-4
https://uk.askmen.com/top_10/fitness/top-10-calorie-burning-activities.html
http://www.healthfitnessrevolution.com/sports-that-burn-the-most-calories/
https://golf.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=004761
https://cleargearspray.com/2015/06/6-sports-that-burn-the-most-calories/

The argument is not about the efficiency of cycling per se but about cycling as a means of burning calories and to compare this with other activities we have to quantify this by means of using calories per hour.

Need I go on....this is not really seen as a contentious issue....troll much?

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The best calories burning exercise is one you enjoy the most. In my case 20minute is my max for swimming before bored sets in, while I can happily ebike for hours.

For overweight person ebikes have advantage that their joints aren't carry weight and max heartrate can be controlled. Hopefully they look forward to ride and not dread it which can be case for lot of exercise activities.

Supermoto

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 19, 2017
UK
You are overlooking one key factor. Running can burn precisely 0 calories because some (myself included) find it extremely boring and will find an excuse not to do it at all. However, those people may find riding a (power assisted) bike great fun and will therefore burn calories because they'll actually WANT to get out there and do it.

Actually doing less efficient exercise is much better than avoiding a more efficient activity.

I say well done to the OP (and others) for taking positive steps and hopefully finding something they enjoy in the process.

If I can get to work in more or les the same time and burn more calories than sitting in the back of a car while my driver takes me to work then I'd like to do it and see that as a positive step.

• Agree
Reactions: tommie and The Bear

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
You are overlooking one key factor. Running can burn precisely 0 calories because some (myself included) find it extremely boring and will find an excuse not to do it at all. However, those people may find riding a (power assisted) bike great fun and will therefore burn calories because they'll actually WANT to get out there and do it.

Actually doing less efficient exercise is much better than avoiding a more efficient activity.

I say well done to the OP (and others) for taking positive steps and hopefully finding something they enjoy in the process.

If I can get to work in more or les the same time and burn more calories than sitting in the back of a car while my driver takes me to work then I'd like to do it and see that as a positive step.
Hardly "overlooking" your point when I've already said this:

"Cycling has other attractions however in that being outside in the fresh air and the sheer joy of cycling means that one is more likely to stick with cycling as a fitness programme than some other activity which is less enjoyable. The advantage of using an e-bike is in having the ability to precisely adjust the level of your input while still achieving your chosen destination and as has been said the assist can be tapered off as fitness is gained."

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Swimming
An overweight person and unfit to boot is unlikely to use the calories cycling that other activities use within a certain time.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/the-37-best-ways-to-burn-the-most-calories-in-an-hour-a7735111.html

Swimming...as is cycling is load-bearing...which is an advantage for an over-weight person but then again I would find this boring myself.
Swimming is actually non load bearing. But also has a disadvantage in promoting a layer of insulating fat.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Crank drive bikes are not exactly suitable for heavy people.
The stress and strain on the motor is inversely proportional to their cadence. If they struggle on hills at less than 30RPM-40RPM, I bet you half of the battery will be turned to heat.
Is that not exactly why crank drives have gears?

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
"Cherry picking"? :eek:
Indeed. But if you can't see that attempting to use "leisure cycling" v "vigorous swimming" is cherry picking, then you're even more intellectually challenged that you appear to be from your initial statement that cycling isn't a preferred exercise because its 'efficient' !

Doh! either those articles omit cycling from the lists, or the ones that do have it, show that cycling can be one of the highest calorie burning activities out there!
I would use the term 'shooting yourself in the foot' but since you don't seem to be able to understand the term 'cherry picking', I'm guessing that would go over your head as well ....

Need I go on....this is not really seen as a contentious issue....troll much?
If you consider pointing out erroneous and dumb forum comments to be trolling, then so be it. However since you've got nearly everything else wrong, its safe to assume that your definition of trolling is also incorrect.

• :D
Reactions: Supermoto

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Indeed. But if you can't see that attempting to use "leisure cycling" v "vigorous swimming" is cherry picking, then you're even more intellectually challenged that you appear to be from your initial statement that cycling isn't a preferred exercise because its 'efficient' !

Doh! either those articles omit cycling from the lists, or the ones that do have it, show that cycling can be one of the highest calorie burning activities out there!
I would use the term 'shooting yourself in the foot' but since you don't seem to be able to understand the term 'cherry picking', I'm guessing that would go over your head as well ....

If you consider pointing out erroneous and dumb forum comments to be trolling, then so be it. However since you've got nearly everything else wrong, its safe to assume that your definition of trolling is also incorrect.
... Come on that type of personal comment is wasted here, why don't you head for the premier league ie the Brexit thread.

• :D

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
If burning calories is your aim, the best way would be to run up the stairs, in the nude of unheated tower blocks, preferably after taking a cold shower and in mid winter. Allow yourself to eat pickles soaked in vinegar and plenty of water. All other activities cannot compare. The result will be clearer lungs(at least before the pneumonia sets in), massive muscle development on the legs and rapid weight loss.
Cycling even on an non ebike might however be more enjoyable!!!