Oxydrive front wheel motor

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I purchased and installed an Oxydrive kit on a Scott Sub10 a little over 2 years ago. I had many other bikes so used this bike infrequently, perhaps 500 miles in total to date. The motor is now making a very unpleasant "graunching" sound, especially when under load. My question is, can the motor be repaired (or is this normal)? Will I need a replacement motor? I haven't received any reply to my emails / calls to Oxydrive ( but it's only been 4 or 5 days since I started trying to contact them. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 4366

Which motor is it? There's three different ones. A photo would help.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
IMG_0523.JPG It was described as the SL kit when I purchased it in Oct 2014. The bike isn't too accessible just at the moment but it looked like the pictures in the manual (attached).

D

Deleted member 4366

OK. I think I have one of those motors if all else fails, but your problem might not be caused by the motor itself. if the controller loses sync with the motor, you get very nasty graunching sounds. If you could make a recording of the sound, it would help.

The things to check first:
  • Motor connector clean
  • Motor connector all the way in to the guide-line.
  • No damage to the cable where it comes out of the axle.

When you installed it, did you install it with the cable going downwards, like in the photo, or upwards? Please be honest.

Does it make the noise with the wheel in the air or only under load? Does it do it all the time?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Thanks d8veh, I will take take a video of it tomorrow and post the results. I did install it as in the picture.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
D

Deleted member 4366

If that squeak is coming from the motor, then there's a fair chance that it's had water in it due to incorrect installation, and that might account for the other noise too. If it still gives full power, try just using it for a bit to see if the noises go away, otherwise you have to open the motor, which requires you to fabricate a tool to fit the slots in the side-plate.

I've never done it, but you could try pouring some ATF down the axle, then run it for a bit with it inside.