oxydrive kit help required please

lanerboy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2016
midlands
Hi All

I have 2 oxydrive kits on our mountain bikes both with 26 inch rear wheel drive motors now my question is could I take the motor out of the rear wheel and have it fitted into a 27.5 or a 29 inch rear wheel as I want to swap one of the bikes and 99% of newer mountain bikes now come with bigger wheels.

Has anyone done this and is it possible if so where would I buy the spokes from the wheel rim is easy but the spokes I am not so sure

All advise welcome

Regards

LB

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You can save yourself a bit of money by keeping the motor wheel like it is if the new bike has disc brakes. Just fit it like it is. If the tyres are the same brand and model, just different in size, it won't look bad.
if you still want to change the rims, most bike shops can cut and roll the 14 gauge stock spokes to fit your wheel (albeit the original spokes are 13 gauge).

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
No problem to lace the motor into another rim. Take a clear photo of your wheel so you can follow the spoke pattern, usually 2 cross for a smallish hub motor is about right. 1 cross maybe for a bigger motor. If the spoke angle falls below about 75* drop a cross. Don't worry spoke calc shows you this. I laced up my wheel and got my LBS to true it for me. Bought these a couple of weeks ago, turned up quickly and the right length. Build went great:)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Packs-of-18-Sapim-silver-plain-gauge-bicycle-spokes-with-nipples/263703211017

Used this spoke calculator -easy to use with handy tips.

http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/spoke-calc.html

lanerboy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2016
midlands
Thanks Woosh

I did wonder about fitting the 26 inch wheel in a mountain bike that has 27.5 wheels as I have not bought another bike yet I am still looking what to buy her.

If I went for say a bike with 29 inch wheels or 700cc wheels how do I find out what spokes I would need to change the motor over

Cheers

LB

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Just to add you will need the rim you plan to use to measure the ERD. This is the most critical measurement, the spoke length changes with each mm the ERD changes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If I went for say a bike with 29 inch wheels or 700cc wheels how do I find out what spokes I would need to change the motor over
you have to use the spoke calc tool above.
If your motor is SWX02 (from memory), set the hub to BPM then change the flange diameter to 145mm.
For example: 700C rim, 1-cross pattern, left spoke: 235.4 mm, right spoke: 234.8 mm.

Buy 235mm

lanerboy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2016
midlands
ok I will find the right bike then get a spare rim and go from there

Out of interest does anyone fancy doing it for me if I post it all out to you if so what cost would I be looking at

Cheers

LB