Oxydrive Rear Bafang CST Motor

PaulMT

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2016
Poole, UK
I have a Oxydrive rear wheel Bafang CST Motor for a disc brake ! It was good for year and a half! My motor is not functioning. I have tried to contact Oxydrive (H7 engineering). Is Oxydrive (H7 engineering) still in Business? I have seen a Rear Bafang Motor on Amazon - 36v 350W. Is that the same? Any comments? Thanks

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
post a link, we'll check it for you.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you need to ask the supplier for winding code 12, with Hall, 9-pin motor cable.
Ideally, it should be marked same as on yours SWX02 36V 250W (12)
The 250W label is important, it makes the motor road legal. Code 12 is also important, it matches your current motor in terms of maximum speed.
Don't forget to ask where that motor is shipped from. From within the EU, it is probably tax free. If shipped from China, you'll be paying freight, customs declaration, duty and VAT. You also need a set of 36 new spokes for your rim - Your label says 700C.

It's an expensive purchase. What's wrong with your motor?

PaulMT

Dec 15, 2016
Poole, UK
you need to ask the supplier for winding code 12, with Hall, 9-pin motor cable.
Ideally, it should be marked same as on yours SWX02 36V 250W (12)
The 250W label is important, it makes the motor road legal. Code 12 is also important, it matches your current motor in terms of maximum speed.
Don't forget to ask where that motor is shipped from. From within the EU, it is probably tax free. If shipped from China, you'll be paying freight, customs declaration, duty and VAT. You also need a set of 36 new spokes for your rim - Your label says 700C.

It's an expensive purchase. What's wrong with your motor?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I forgot to mention: if your bike does not have a spoke magnet, then the replacement wheel needs to have internal speed sensor with the same number of magnets glued to the lid of the motor casing. It is usually 1 but on some motors, 6 magnets.. It's messy to later replace internal speed sensor with external one.

PaulMT

Dec 15, 2016
Poole, UK
The motor does not work. Two bikes shops agree and they suggest the motor is at fault! Having said that I didn’t realise the problems with compliance on the motor. I can take the bike change with the 700c and rims. However, I will go back to the manufacturer for advice and for winding code 12, with Hall 9-pin motor cable! I will also ask for a shipping estimate. Thank you for your time and patience!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
geared hub motors are quite robust. What is the diagnosis?
We can fix SWX02 motors if you send it to me.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
The motor does not work. Two bikes shops agree and they suggest the motor is at fault! Having said that I didn’t realise the problems with compliance on the motor. I can take the bike change with the 700c and rims. However, I will go back to the manufacturer for advice and for winding code 12, with Hall 9-pin motor cable! I will also ask for a shipping estimate. Thank you for your time and patience!
Why don't you take of the back wheel and remove the 6 bolts and separate the motor. If you have knackered nylon gear wheels you can cheaply replace them. Did the bike shops actually look inside the motor. When my gears broke up there was nothing from the motor. Clearing away gear wheels and putting the rear shaft with the electric side back on the bike I was able to see if the electrics were also damaged. In my case they were OK.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
There are quite a few different faults that can cause the motor to not run, so unless the shops have carried out any electrical testing on the system or the motor cable is obviously damaged, it's deff. worth investigating for other faults before you write off the motor. Replacing the motor and rebuilding the wheel to find the bike is still not working is really gonna spoil your day. As a general rule the motor is the last part of the system that is likely to be at fault.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The cst hubs are very robust to abuse, mine has some 4.5k+ miles on it and is faultless.
Fault test the controller and the cable to the motor, also fault test the motor halls via the motor cable.
If that all pans out well open the hub to inspect clutch gears for jamming or issues.