Oxygen emate city - 2013

chris-emate

Just Joined
Feb 24, 2017
sussex
I bought the bike 2nd hand about 18 months ago and its been great - it was advertised by the owner as "lightly used' but I have no idea how many charge cycles it had before I bought it

I normally use the bike on pedal assist and rarely the throttle but recently it has started to chew power quite quickly and has cut out a few times when the power meter approaches 1 bar uphill - at night thats not good as the lights go out - I always start out with a fully charged battery and led's show FULL

So I reckon its time for a new battery - the replacement from Oxygen UK is over £400 but there are some chinese battery packs on eBay that look identical at just over £200 - the original pack is marked 37v 15.5Ah and the eBay (Samsung cells) item is advertised as '36v 15.6ah Lithium Ion Battery E-Bike' at below link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222214730187?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Is there anything to consider - should I just pay up for the original replacement or what's the consensus ?

Thanks

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
I have an e mate city with about 150 charges on it (3500 miles) and down to about 85% now (2 years old) I am going to send the case to Jimmy at Insat to have it rebuilt when it is depleted http://www.bga-reworking.co.uk/insat-li-nmc-ebike-battery-10ah-24v-36v-48v.html My pal has a couple of batteries from Jimmy and he is well regarded in the battery world. Sure a few folk will chime in with recommendations. He might be able to get a couple more cells in and get it up to 17Ah for a good price. Give him a ring anyway and get a price, will be cheaper than Oxygen I'm sure

D

Deleted member 4366

That Ebay battery will be OK. Just check that the polarity is the same when it arrives. It's easy to change it over if it's the wrong way.

chris-emate

Just Joined
Feb 24, 2017
sussex
Thanks for the above advice - in the end I spoke to Jimmy at INSAT and he advised replacement Li Ion cells from Boston Power at a cost of just over £200 so I sent off the battery cassette and received the updated unit yesterday

Overnight the charger started off showing a RED LED (which is different to the before which indicated a kind or ORANGE LED on charge) and this morning it still shows RED instead of my expectation of a GREEN - the led indicators on the battery cassette show GREEN when you use the button

Any ideas - the old cells were rated 36V at 15Ah and the new are rated 36V at 15.5VAh - the charger is HP1202L3 marked 36V at 3A and supposed to show RED discharged, ORANGE for charging and GREEN fully charged

Advertisers