Oxygen eMate - Replacing battery & controller

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
My EMate's power supply issue has reared its ugly head again. It's been back to Oxygen twice & they have replaced the contacts on the battery, but I am fed up of it going wrong. When it works it's a fantastic bike, but it is very unreliable because of this problem.

So, I have a very good battery that Jimmy at BGA built me that I could use instead of the one on the Oxygen, but I would need to buy a controller to replace the all-in-one unit Oxygen supply with the Das Kit battery.

Which controller would do the trick? Any other points to consider?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not 100% sure but think the controller is a solid state Luishi model.
You need to find somewhere to mount the new controller, there is a good chance that the lcd won't be compatible with a different controller and all the other connectors.
So depending on where you place the battery you could use the emate's controller all that is needed is the supply wires soldered and extended for the battery.
36V Sinewave controller kit from PSWPower .com.

I have the Oxydrive cst with DAS battery/controller combo and have had no contact issues with mine.

Last edited:

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
When it came back the first time from Oxygen, they had replaced the male controller terminals. That worked for a while until it didn't. Then it went back and they replaced the female battery terminals with some shiny ones. That has worked fine for a couple of months, but it went tits up on the ride to work today - rather more rapidly than it has done before I should add.

Oxygen weren't good at all about relaying what they had fixed. Either that or the dealer wasn't passing on the info., so I'm not 100% sure of what was fixed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

PSWPower 20A Sine wave controller. The motor can give a lot more than what the Oxygen controller allows.

Can't you remove the connectors from the battery and controller, and run the wires straight through or add your own connector?

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
That's a little more fettling than I'd feel comfortable attempting TBH.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you bga battery is a dolphin 09 type you can get the integrated controller for it from BMSB or GBK.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's a little more fettling than I'd feel comfortable attempting TBH.
I don't get it. You're happy to replace the controller with all its wires including two battery wires, but joining two wires is too much.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I naiively assumed I could get a controller that would simply replace the current one with all its wires all with the same connectors. Wiring up the battery wires shouldn't be too tricky.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
This has reached something of a hiatus until I can find the keys for the battery!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I naiively assumed I could get a controller that would simply replace the current one with all its wires all with the same connectors. Wiring up the battery wires shouldn't be too tricky.
You can from Oxydrive :p.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Out of stock & I don't want to replace like for like even though that means housing the controller elsewhere on the bike.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Right, keys located and the battery removed. I also disassembled the controller box and separated the two halves on the battery case. What then became apparent was the standard of the power supply wiring and repair work, which is very poor, so I am not surprised that the fault keeps reoccurring. The join between the two halves of the case was also damaged, and not by me, I add.

Anyway, I will bypass the standard connectors and drill holes through the case exterior and feed the cables out through grommets. I'll seal up the holes left with sealant and hope that does the trick.

Advertisers