Oxygen MTB annoying rattle – fix.

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
After weeks of gentle riding over gnarly bridle paths, pot-hole ridden tarmac and searching, checking and testing every component for an annoying rattle – it came down to a small amount of rotational play of the battery when fitted to the frame.

It was only about 0.007” each way and the battery never cut-out or brought up a fault on the LCD, so the connection pins must be a good fit.

The fix – four small pieces of rubber draught excluder, two at the top and two at the bottom of the frame pocket where the battery locates.

20180811_144940.jpg 20180811_144917.jpg

As part of the testing I removed the bike-stand, this certainly eliminated a big part of the overall rattling from the bike – although on good surfaces it’s as quiet as our other bike, a FS Giant Anthem.

Next on the list is to stop chain slap despite having a protector fitted.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
After weeks of gentle riding over gnarly bridle paths, pot-hole ridden tarmac and searching, checking and testing every component for an annoying rattle – it came down to a small amount of rotational play of the battery when fitted to the frame.

It was only about 0.007” each way and the battery never cut-out or brought up a fault on the LCD, so the connection pins must be a good fit.

The fix – four small pieces of rubber draught excluder, two at the top and two at the bottom of the frame pocket where the battery locates.

View attachment 26384 View attachment 26385

As part of the testing I removed the bike-stand, this certainly eliminated a big part of the overall rattling from the bike – although on good surfaces it’s as quiet as our other bike, a FS Giant Anthem.

Next on the list is to stop chain slap despite having a protector fitted.
JP there is a way to actually tighten the battery. Dale at SYEB showed me how to do it. If you give him a call he may be able to help you and explain better than I could.

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
JP there is a way to actually tighten the battery. Dale at SYEB showed me how to do it. If you give him a call he may be able to help you and explain better than I could.
That's interesting to know, I'll follow it up - unless someone else out there can elaborate.

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
As I mentioned in my first post it only needs a very small gap between the frame & battery to create a rattle over uneven surfaces - either radially or vertically, tighten a Velcro strap round them both then go for a ride to prove/disprove the battery.

Along with the bike stand (which I removed), the other areas of 'rattle/clicking' I've found are:
Chain slap on the chain stay (which I sorted by changing the RD to a Shimano Shadow clutch version).
Slightly loose headset bearings.
Two loose spokes.
Dry front forks sticking.
Dry pedals clicking.
Dry chain link.

The list could be as varied as the complex bikes we buy and in no-way is it a downer on Oxygen bikes.
In most cases a little time and effort spent in tracing issues on the bikes helps us to understand their inner workings so we can pass the results on to others, hence the forum.
Thankfully, with a Mechanical/Electrical background, problems are a challenge I enjoy sorting.

Reactions: robert44

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
The rattles definitely from the battery everything else is fine il do a video at weekend as the md at oxygen has asked for one and il post it up

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
The nut on the battery itself hasnt worked itself a bit loose has it? I would imagine that could make a difference

Related Articles

Advertisers