Oxygen S Cross E-Bike!

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I tried them both out, and the massive difference I felt was in the brakes. The hydraulics were way better than the mechanicals. I'd pay the extra for the brakes alone.

Reactions: Mal69
D

Deleted member 4366

You can buy a used pair of hydraulic brakes on Ebay for about £40. It's about the easiest and most effective upgrade you can do to any e-bike that has cable disc brakes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you should still prefer hydraulic brakes with built in sensor because of the overrun of the pedal assist system.

D

Deleted member 4366

you should still prefer hydraulic brakes with built in sensor because of the overrun of the pedal assist system.
Overrun isn't really a problem on modern bikes like the Oxygen. You don't get it on on yours do you?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I only use sensored brakes, you can continue to pedal while using the brakes to control the speed. Without sensors, you have to stop pedaling to cut out the motor.

D

Deleted member 4366

I only use sensored brakes, you can continue to pedal while using the brakes to control the speed. Without sensors, you have to stop pedaling to cut out the motor.
What about switching to level zero? Surely that would be easier than holding the brake half on.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What about switching to level zero? Surely that would be easier than holding the brake half on.
you can't predict how people will ride your bikes, that's the problem.
sensored brakes are a better solution.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Surely you can't do that with an LCD, you can only go to level 1. Mine is an led display and can be turned to zero.
Yep my LCD has a 0 level. Useful if you need to know how far/fast you are going without assistance. Oh and it has air temperature... :rolleyes:

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
J. E. James Cycles has these:
http://www.jejamescycles.com/tektro-draco-1-hydraulic-disc-brake.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwx6TJBRCWtsiXpI7bhOYBEiQA1en3F6ZUnqXzXgxNMn9AQqkzvnKKZ3KiSCXx0XfcwNkz5ZQaAqCd8P8HAQ

Check your cable lengths before buying though, whatever you choose. You can't (easily) shorten hydraulic cables. This particular deal is for OEM stuff, so no retail packaging. Good price though.

Fitting is more or less a straight swap as long as you choose the correct cable lengths and rotor sizes. Actually, you don't need the rotors, but they're handy as spares.

One final point, make sure that your hubs have 6-bolt fittings for the rotors & not Shimano Centerlock. The calipers themselves are pretty much universal fitting, although you might need a different mount.

Reactions: LeighPing and Mal69

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
J. E. James Cycles has these:
http://www.jejamescycles.com/tektro-draco-1-hydraulic-disc-brake.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwx6TJBRCWtsiXpI7bhOYBEiQA1en3F6ZUnqXzXgxNMn9AQqkzvnKKZ3KiSCXx0XfcwNkz5ZQaAqCd8P8HAQ

Check your cable lengths before buying though, whatever you choose. You can't (easily) shorten hydraulic cables. This particular deal is for OEM stuff, so no retail packaging. Good price though.

Fitting is more or less a straight swap as long as you choose the correct cable lengths and rotor sizes. Actually, you don't need the rotors, but they're handy as spares.

One final point, make sure that your hubs have 6-bolt fittings for the rotors & not Shimano Centerlock. The calipers themselves are pretty much universal fitting, although you might need a different mount.
I should probably ask the shop to install them, if it can be done in a day, I read your reply and i realise this is beyond me.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How much would these cost brand new and are they easy to put on?
they are expensive in the UK.
for example:
http://dillengerelectricbikes.co.uk/spares/brakes/hydraulic-e-brake-sets/tektro-dorado-hd-e710-180mm-hydraulic-brake-set.html

the cheapest solution is to change only the front brakes to hydraulic with a cheap Shimano Alivio front brake for £15 from CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-alivio-m445-disc-brake/rp-prod105779

You only have to remember to squeeze both brakes at the same time!

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Fitting a set of hydraulic disc brakes - assuming the bike already has the rotors fitted - should be the work of an hour, maybe two if the mounts need changing, but if two hours they would really be taking their time.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
they are expensive in the UK.
for example:
http://dillengerelectricbikes.co.uk/spares/brakes/hydraulic-e-brake-sets/tektro-dorado-hd-e710-180mm-hydraulic-brake-set.html

the cheapest solution is to change only the front brakes to hydraulic with a cheap Shimano Alivio front brake for £15 from CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-alivio-m445-disc-brake/rp-prod105779

You only have to remember to squeeze both brakes at the same time!
Bloody hell...thats cheap!
I assume that disconnecting the rear sensor cable wont affect the operation of the bike, with the wire essentially hanging down?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Bloody hell...thats cheap!
I assume that disconnecting the rear sensor cable wont affect the operation of the bike, with the wire essentially hanging down?
you mean the front brake sensor? no, just cap it to stop water getting into the connector.

• Useful

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
you mean the front brake sensor? no, just cap it to stop water getting into the connector.
Yes.....might grab one for the stealth in that case.
Should massively upgrade the front brake, and, well, the rear brake does nothing anyway so it may as well be used as the cut out. I always hit the rear brake first anyway despite it doing very little.

• Useful

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk