Oxygen S-CROSS ST photos please?

Katanaqui

Just Joined
Jul 13, 2017
Oxford
Hi :)

TL;DR: Does anyone have a step-through Oxygen S-Cross they could take some photos of for me please? In particular:
  1. A close up view of the handlebars showing where the gear change, power assist change, and throttle are positioned.
  2. A side-on view of the bike so I can get an idea of the frame and how upright/leaned over I'll be sat.

Basically, I'm looking to buy an ebike, but thanks to my disabilities I have some pretty particular requirements. Examples include needing:
  • a hub-driven system with a throttle/walk assist,
  • the power assist options to be on the left-hand side and within very easy reach,
  • the throttle and gear change on the right-hand side,
  • straight handlebars,
  • a step-through frame,
  • a centred battery (as opposed to being strapped to the back pannier),
  • a lightweight bike (as much as possible, I realise that's a fairly impossible ask for an ebike)
  • easy to squeeze brakes (probably hydraulic ones),
  • being sat more leaned over like you get with a MTB,
  • and good suspension/seat cushioning to help a fractured spine (even though I don't intend any serious off-road biking).
Obviously some of those could be more easily swapped out on a model with the rest of the requirements, which I'm happy to do if necessary. I think I've narrowed my choices down to the step-through Oxygen S-Cross and the Freego Hawk (/Eagle/Wren), but my local doesn't have an Oxygen for me to inspect and test-ride. I've tried searching on the manufacturer's website and through various reviews but I can only really find the same stock photos which aren't that useful. So before I travel a few hours to the closest one, some pics would be really helpful! Also if anyone has any other model suggestions, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Katanaqui,

Have you considered a Wisper?

Here are some of the views you requested.

Please click on the image of the red bike for a view of the gear change.

All the best, David

705se Black 1.jpg 705se Blue 1.jpg 705se Red 2.jpg

Last edited:

Katanaqui

Just Joined
Jul 13, 2017
Oxford
Thanks very much David! I had considered a Wisper and took one for a test ride locally. Unfortunately, I didn't get on well with the ones I tried and ruled them out - partly due to the throttle being left-handed, and the weight of the battery being at the back instead of in the centre.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
OK no worries, I completely understand.

We found that moving the battery from behind the seat post to the rear rack, we could reduce the length of the bike by nearly six inches which was great news for people who were tight for space or wanted to take their bikes on holiday on the back of a camper van or car. It also makes the bike much more nimble.

As a matter of interest, I put the throttle on the lefthand side purposely. If a rider is turning right and has taken their right hand off the handlebar to signal, having the throttle on the left hand side means it can still be operated whilst signalling.

I do still have a few of the old Wispers with the battery behind the seat tube like the FreeGo if you are interested.

Good luck in your search and happy riding!

All the best, David

Katanaqui

Just Joined
Jul 13, 2017
Oxford
That is quite interesting RE. the throttle - do you theorise that riders are more likely to need to stop before turning right in the UK than turning left, and thus more likely to use the throttle for a quick start across traffic?

I've asked this question at my local ebike store as well, but would you say that (in general) a throttle could be moved from the left side to the right by a consumer? Or is it something that once manufactured that way, it would likely remain on the left side of the bike indefinitely? Unfortunately in my case, I have impairments to both arms. My left hand is worse than my right, which makes it harder to stretch my left hand across from the grip/brakes to a throttle/gear change.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
That is quite interesting RE. the throttle - do you theorise that riders are more likely to need to stop before turning right in the UK than turning left, and thus more likely to use the throttle for a quick start across traffic?
I do absolutely.

We could certainly move the throttle for you if you requested, we would do it here to make sure the cables are correct.

All the best, David

Reactions: Crockers

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi MS,

As I explained to Kat, I put the throttle on the lefthand side purposely. If a rider is turning right and has taken their right hand off the handlebar to signal, having the throttle on the left hand side means it can still be operated whilst signalling.

It was my idea originally and seems to be very popular amongst riders. The only issue we have is with those who rode motorbikes in the past. However I know from my own experience that it takes about 2 minutes to get used to.

The USA police did the same thing, they moved the throttle from the right hand side to the left, but that was so they could shoot at the bad guys right handed whilst they rode!

All the best, David