Which bike should i buy?

• Momentum Model T

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hali94

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 28, 2017
London
Hi guys! I've just come across this amazing website and I would really appreciate some advice on buying my first ebike. I live in london, around my area is slightly hilly so I want the bike to make commuting to work easier. My commute is around 1 hour each way. I've narrowed it to 2 options, the Oxygen S-CROSS ST ,http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/Electric_Bikes/Step_Through_Frames/Oxygen_S-CROSS_ST_Electric_Bike.aspx, and the momentum model T, http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/Brands/Momentum_Electric_Bikes/Momentum_Model_T_Electric_Bike.aspx. I'm 5'10 and i believe the Oxygen is 17" so i'm not sure if that would be a problem. But apart from that they both look great and I really don't know if one is slightly better than the other. Please advise me on the best one. Thanks in advance!

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Hi guys! I've just come across this amazing website and I would really appreciate some advice on buying my first ebike. I live in london, around my area is slightly hilly so I want the bike to make commuting to work easier. My commute is around 1 hour each way. I've narrowed it to 2 options, the Oxygen S-CROSS ST ,http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/Electric_Bikes/Step_Through_Frames/Oxygen_S-CROSS_ST_Electric_Bike.aspx, and the momentum model T, http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/Brands/Momentum_Electric_Bikes/Momentum_Model_T_Electric_Bike.aspx. I'm 5'10 and i believe the Oxygen is 17" so i'm not sure if that would be a problem. But apart from that they both look great and I really don't know if one is slightly better than the other. Please advise me on the best one. Thanks in advance!
Two very different bikes is all aspects. I really could not draw a comparison between the two. The only thing that would make me choose the Oxygen is the larger battery and greater range. You mention a one hour commute. Is that by car, bus, train, push bike etc? A distance would be more helpful in advising you. I have never rode an Oxygen and it looks comfy enough but the Momentum's comfort is sublime. The momentum will deliver 30 to 35 miles of range. The oxygen should give you about 40 to 50 miles.

Reactions: Hali94

Hali94

Jan 28, 2017
London
Thanks so much for your response it's about 10 miles, 16km each way. For the design only, i'm actually leaning more towards the momentum.

Reactions: Emo Rider

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
Two different bikes in style so its all up to preferences but honestly looking at the specs of both Oxygen seems to be a lot more advanced bike and I mean here battery and the lcd console. Also bigger motor on Oxygen with more torque then the one used on Momentum.

Hali94

Jan 28, 2017
London
Two different bikes in style so its all up to preferences but honestly looking at the specs of both Oxygen seems to be a lot more advanced bike and I mean here battery and the lcd console. Also bigger motor on Oxygen with more torque then the one used on Momentum.
Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by more torque on the Oxygen? One of the reasons I was considering the momentum was because it had the torque sensor, and apparently that's good for quietening the engine and for climbing up hills. But if the Oxygen is better in that regard then i'll definitely go for that.

Hali94

Jan 28, 2017
London
Best advice is do a test ride. Being only 2 speed the Model T has limited hill climbing ability, you need to test it on your commuter route hills.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the place I want to buy it from is in sussex and I live in London so it's too far to do a test ride. The main reason I want the bike is to make climbing hills easier. If my route to work was completely flat I wouldn't get an ebike. It's seeming that the oxygen might be better for this?

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
Oxygen runs on the C02 motor which is much bigger in diameter then the front SWX motor. Bigger motors perform better on the hills, more copper winding + more magnets = more torque. Majority of torque based systems are actually not so good (maybe except of Bosch) so personally I prefer traditional pedal assist where I can choose how much assist I want to get. On most torque systems you are forced to pedal hard to get more assist which is not always what you wanna do. In speed sensor you are in full control of how much power assist you need.

Hali94

Jan 28, 2017
London
Oxygen runs on the C02 motor which is much bigger in diameter then the front SWX motor. Bigger motors perform better on the hills, more copper winding + more magnets = more torque. Majority of torque based systems are actually not so good (maybe except of Bosch) so personally I prefer traditional pedal assist where I can choose how much assist I want to get. On most torque systems you are forced to pedal hard to get more assist which is not always what you wanna do. In speed sensor you are in full control of how much power assist you need.
Oh i see! Yes I prefer that then. Thanks so much, i'm a complete novice to all this. :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello Hali,
Both hub motors are made by Bafang, the model T with what looks like a SWKX front hub is a lighter hub and fairly ideal for flatter areas though will climb gentle inclines, being smaller it will have less grunt then the slightly bigger hubs.
The Oxygen has the SWX02 newer design hub and is a heavier duty hub so will offer better torque and be capable of climbing steeper hills easier and for longer.
A PAS drive bike for most will in general be a better and a more relaxing ride, for your 10 mile route most bikes will be able to under take that journey some just a bit better then others.
Also as you ae looking at step thru bikes Woosh bikes also have a few powerful hill climbing machines though may be not as fetching in the look style as the more expensive Oxygen.
Any bike with Bafang bpm or cst hub drive will be good for hill climbing as they have very good torque and strong motors.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I agree with the others - the Momentum is less powerful.

It may be sufficient for your needs, but you might appreciate the extra grunt of the Oxygen riding home after a day's toil.

The standard battery ought to do the round trip, but if money allows my suggestion would be to get the bigger capacity one.

Most city commutes involve a lot of stopping and starting, which drains the battery.

The bigger battery would allow you liberal use of motor power, and it wouldn't matter if the battery lost a bit of capacity after a year or two as most do.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Oxygen is a very nice bike. It'seems one of my favourites. I'm 5'11' and it was a perfect fit. It has one good advantage for long commutes: It can be derestricted, which cuts the journey down a lot, though you'd need to keep an eye on battery charge if your journey is more than 30 miles and you want to use the extra speed.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I'm the punter who has probably contributed most to the Oxygen Emate thread linked above. My commute is 9.5 miles over an undulating route and with slow, heavy Schwalbe Ice Spiker tyres fitted I can do that in 33 minutes (with Schwalbe Land Cruiser tyres I can do it in half an hour on a lower power setting). Even on the lowest, Eco, speed mode the bike gets me up hills very well. I should add that I am a reasonably fit cyclist. If I up the power to Normal it is even quicker. I have hardly ever activated the Speed mode, as the bike in its unrestricted form is rather too fast for my tastes in an urban setting in that mode.

I have managed 35-40 miles on the Emate at such rapid speeds. Were I to limit it to 15.5 M.P.H. the range would increase significantly.

The equipment on the Oxygen is very good quality stuff; Lookin saddle, decent Shimano gears - not cheap Tourney ones, and powerful hydraulic disc brakes. Assuming all the above applies to the S-Cross, you'd be buying a very accomplished and versatile bike.

I can't comment on the Momentum, as I've no experience of it. As others have pointed out it's a very different machine. Sort of like comparing a Ford Focus (Momentum) to a Nissan Qashqai (Oxygen).

I have, however, used the SRAM Automatix hub on an ebike I converted. It was surprisingly well suited to the task. The sprockets it uses are the Sturmey Archer standard type, so cheap, meaning that I could easily fit a smaller sprocket than I had on the unpowered machine. That raised the gearing so that the automatic up change happened at c.11 M.P.H. The upper gear was good up to about 20-22 M.P.H. when I would start spinning out. The down change requires you to stop pedalling a fraction of a second, but is seamless. It's fine for a commuter, but would lack the versatility of my 27-speed Emate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emo Rider

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
If you are down the smoke call in to greenway and check out the max drive bike in commuter style or cross city style, no drag from hub if u run out of juice as it's mid drive, 10 minute walk from Beckton Stn
http://greenwaycycles.co.uk/electric/14-greenway.html
Just my ten pence worth , it'll certainly do your commute.

• Agree
Reactions: PhilYerBoots

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Hali,

We are in Southend, 5 minute walk from the rail station, not too far from where you live I believe. If you could come to see us, I think we could make the trip worth your while.
From our range, there is the Santana2 that I think will suit your requirements.

Quick points about the Woosh Santana2:

- step through frame, 26" wheels, perfect size for your height
- rear Bafang SWX02 motor (similar to the Oxygen S-Cross)
- 13AH battery or 15AH battery
- Pedal assist and throttle

For more details:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana2

We also have the Woosh Crusa on special offer for a limited time, only £749.

- step through frame, 26" wheels, perfect size for your height
- rear Bafang SWX01 motor (slightly less powerful than the SWX02 but more than the SWXK)
- 13AH battery or 15AH battery
- 13AH battery
- LCD

For more details:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?crusa

Here is the Crusa:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hali - both the two bikes you are comparing will be at the London Bike Show in February, at the ExCel Exhibition Centre - dead convenient for you to take a test ride and get a feel for each bike and meet the companies direct.

Both John from Oxygen and Ying from Momentum will be able to discuss their bikes with you directly and I bet they'll have some show offers for you too.