Oxygen S Cross St.

Wynne0648

Pedelecer
May 12, 2017
Leeds
Anyone have any views on a Oxygen S Cross ST. I like the look of it, and price. Tried a few bikes locally this week,other half has ordered a Freego Eagle step through, wasn't for me though. Nearest dealer for Oxygen bikes is in Bristol, not a place I would drive round, but fairly easy trip on train or park and ride. Can't find an decent review or owners reviews. I like the spec,bit unsure on why it needs 21 gears though.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
21 gears is a flash advert spec for cheap gears.
Ebikes can make do with 7 gears and if you only need 15 mph then 3 speed is plenty.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
I looked at this bike too, but when compared with the Woosh Rio MTB I couldn't find a justification for the price especially the 13ah model, I think they use the same battery as well. Maybe I'm missing something, I guess if you bought from halfords you'd have local help but apart from that it's £500 more for no benefit

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
My Oxygen eMate is vastly better equipped than the Woosh I had. The build quality is similarly better too. That's not denigrating Woosh, who build to a price, but the extra money buys extra quality.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, that's true but you paid £350 for your Woosh though.That's less than the cost of the battery on your Oxygen.
You should compare your Oxygen against the Rio MTB, much more of a fair fight.

• Informative
Reactions: Ganesh

Wynne0648

Pedelecer
May 12, 2017
Leeds
Woosh Rio doesn't compare to Oxygen. I'm looking at a step through only. Just not sure on 21 gears,seems a bit over the top, and confusion to maybe ride.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Sorry Wynne. Warwick got on my nerves a little.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxygen-S-Cross-ST-Step-Through-Electric-Bike-NEW-rrp-1399-/322514242432?hash=item4b1758cb80:g:doUAAOSwUKxYf0Y7

Nothing to do with me, just letting you know it's available.

In practice, you will probably use the larger front chainring much of the time, as I do on my Oxygen. If you go onto bridleways or canal towpaths you might drop down to the smaller rings and be glad of them. I use my front rings as a quick change of gears approaching junctions. One click of the front changer gives a bigger difference in gearing than one click of the rear changer - usually.

Should your battery run out on a ride, you'll also be glad of the smaller front chainrings, as ebikes are often quite highly geared to allow for the extra assistance the motor provides, and they weigh more.

Wynne0648

Pedelecer
May 12, 2017
Leeds
Not ruling it out, hoping to get up to Bristol this week to look one over. I can now see the gears being handy on occasions, especially pedaling if battery flat. Never thought of that. Its so worthwhile asking advice on here.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Test ride every bike with the power off.
It shows two things, what it would be like with falt battery, as above
And just how good a bike it is, if it's a dog then the battery has to fight that before it gets to help you, so short range etc.

Reactions: Mr P H Grigorian