Oxygen Scross MTB ongoing review

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Do you take the battery off for charging?
Yes.

I have no choice at work as the bike is parked up in an underground dungeon...I could charge on the bike at home, but didn't think it would be a good idea while is still connected to the bike?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes.

I have no choice at work as the bike is parked up in an underground dungeon...I could charge on the bike at home, but didn't think it would be a good idea while is still connected to the bike?
My bike is parked about a meter from a power plug so yes it is a good idea, much less wear and tear on the connector. Switch controller off, turn battery on and plug in charger. Simples!

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
My bike is parked about a meter from a power plug so yes it is a good idea, much less wear and tear on the connector. Switch controller off, turn battery on and plug in charger. Simples!
Okay, thanks...i'll certainly do that at home from now on then ;)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Of course check that your battery needs to be turned on during charging, that is the case for many but maybe not all.

D

Deleted member 4366

There isn't a power switch as such on the battery, just a power level indicator switch, so that makes that easy :)
Yes, but that's not so good for frequent connecting because it makes a spark when you connect with a live battery. Eventually, the contacts erode, which is probably the cause of your problem. New connectors will fix it for a bit, but they will erode too.

The connectors are a wearing part, like the tyres on a car. The more you use them, the faster you wear out. Connecting with a live battery is equivalent to doing wheel-spin starts in a car.

Taking the battery off twice a day is way beyond what any manufacturer would expect and outside normal usage, so we couldn't make a case that it's a design fault or whatever.

• Useful

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
So, the Oxygen battery is always live then. Not much I can do about that I suppose. Ill leave it on the bike at home when charging, and see if there is any electric available in the works cycle shed, but I doubt it. Any point putting vaseline or something on the terminals?

D

Deleted member 4366

Bosch recommend greasing their battery terminals. I can't figure out whether it would be better or worse. The problem is the instant high current (spark) when the connection is made. I can't see how grease would help that.

• Informative

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Bosch recommend greasing their battery terminals. I can't figure out whether it would be better or worse. The problem is the instant high current (spark) when the connection is made. I can't see how grease would help that.
Wouldn't a switch on the battery be the best idea?

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
My eMate has a battery switch, but it isn't an integrated battery like yours, Andy. I have to have my battery switched on when charging. That way there isn't a spark when hooking it up to the charger. If it's switched off there is a spark. I almost always charge in-situ.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
My eMate has a battery switch, but it isn't an integrated battery like yours, Andy. I have to have my battery switched on when charging. That way there isn't a spark when hooking it up to the charger. If it's switched off there is a spark. I almost always charge in-situ.
Ok, thanks Warwick.
I'm dropping the battery into oxygen in Rotherham on Saturday morning, I'll ask them what they recommend while I'm there.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
So how is the bike? Powerful enough for a 10 mile commute all round?? Thinking of buying one.
Easily.
My commute is 19 each way, I charge the battery at work for the return journey.
I have done 24 miles in one ride without a charge....bike on max assist with me and a couple of pannier bags, so probably close to 90kg plus the bike.

I did for the first time run out of battery on the way home today...not surprising when I looked on garmin and had 28 mph winds in my face. Horrible ride, probably the worst in 18 months of commuting in all weathers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I'll interject here and add that Andy is using his bike on the maximum setting of 18 on the bike. So, he uses Power mode with maximum assist. That really does give the battery some use! It's his choice and I make no judgement at all about that.

I have an Oxygen eMate with a 2.5-year-old battery with a load of about 90Kg and I use it with the Eco setting on assist level 5 or 6. Even with a battery not in its first flush of youth, I can achieve 35 miles range at an average speed of about 17MPH. My commute is undulating and not flat. That does require some pedalling input, of course, but it shows that the bike that you are looking at (with the larger battery chosen) would offer even more range using a similar assist level as I use.

• Agree

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Just want to publicly say a big thanks to Oxygen bicycles for the super fast service with the repair on the battery.

I dropped it into them Saturday morning, and it was ready for collection on Monday afternoon, complete with a new battery terminal for me to fit to the bike.

Also thanks to e-bikes direct for the speed of arranging it all for me.

Great customer service :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Pleased you are sorted - Oxygen do seem pretty good for service.

As remarked, your use is hard, so your overall experience reflects well on the reliability of an Oxygen bike.

I'm still confused about this talk of sparks.

In 10,000+ miles on three Bosch bikes I've never seen a spark, and that's using all permutations of connection/disconnection/on bike/off bike charging.

All I would say is the downtube battery cup of the latest shape Bosch battery seems to attract more dirt than the cup on the clunky square shaped first generation Bosch bikes.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers