Oxygen Scross MTB ongoing review

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
No, I havent seen any sparking at all either when I connect the battery to the bike, or the charger to the battery.
Oxygen said that its fine to charge the battery on the bike or off, shouldn't really matter.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can't see te spark because everything is shrouded when it happens.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Ive had my first issue with the s cross mtb. The rear brake cable came away from the lever. Bike,shop doing a service tomorrow and will fix it.

Ive had the bike exactly one year.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Ive had my first issue with the s cross mtb. The rear brake cable came away from the lever. Bike,shop doing a service tomorrow and will fix it.

Ive had the bike exactly one year.
Same thing happened to me early on...just popped off under pressure of braking. Turned out to be a fairly easy fix. I’m getting quite confident at servicing and stuff now :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
3100 miles now, since June 5th last year :)

I would imagine that before the year of ownership is out, I will hit 5000 miles minimum.

I was wondering, can I expect the battery to degrade much over this time and mileage? Its getting charged twice a day, 4 days a week. I think it will be getting to around 20-25% level at each charge.

What are the symptons of degradation.....does the bms voltage drop faster, or does it die before it gets to lower voltage?

After having the bike for a couple of months, my thought was that when the first year is up, I would go and buy another one on the C2W scheme, due to the high mileage, but with how well the bike has stood up to the test, im thinking of just keeping it going. Our c2w scheme is only open for a couple of months a year though, so once its closed in July, I would have missed the boat.

How long is the motor likely to last on these bikes? Is it worth me sourcing a 17ah battery and using the 2 batts alternately?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What are the symptons of degradation.....does the bms voltage drop faster, or does it die before it gets to lower voltage?
voltage drop faster.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Range will reduce as the battery ages once capacity starts to degrade.

• Informative

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Thanks ....I'll keep monitoring the voltage levels, if it does start to drop dramatically, I might plump for a bigger battery

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Do you sell the 17ah version of this battery Tony? That's quite a big up in the wh to 612 if im right
I know ours has the same form factor but don't worry about it, by the time it needs upgrading, we may have 20AH for same sort of money.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Gave the bike a good look over late this afternoon.

The rear break pads were almost down to the metal...I’m sure I’ve changed them once already with some clarks pads, so that was a surprise. Went to drop a new set in, and the little Allen key pin that goes through the top of the pads was seized.
Spent an hour drilling the **** out. Got it eventually, and had to use a screw to secure the new pads in place. Will keep a close eye on that. May mean I’ll need a new calliper?

Readjusted my gears...again. Something I just can’t seem to nail on. It’s a case of two clicks back up to move back down a gear, where it’s perfect up one.

I hate gears

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
That's a bit disappointing.

What make is the brake?

Some fixings on budget components are made of cheese.

Not that the bolt does a lot, some brakes use a split pin or a threadless bolt and an R clip.

Can't see any reason why you need a new calliper if the brake is performing correctly.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
That's a bit disappointing.

What make is the brake?

Some fixings on budget components are made of cheese.

Not that the bolt does a lot, some brakes use a split pin or a threadless bolt and an R clip.

Can't see any reason why you need a new calliper if the brake is performing correctly.
I think it’s tektra....might be my fault for over tightening it last time.
Don’t know if that pin can be replaced as I drilled it, and don’t know how secure the screw I put in will be.
If I could find the right diameter split pin, yes, that should work, good tip, thanks [emoji3]

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
As regards the gears, many hard to pin down gear change problems are caused by a slightly bent mech hanger.

Replacing that is worth a try, but the proper job is do that and then set the alignment using a workshop gauge.

The mechanic in my local bike shop told me even some brand new bikes benefit from a tweak.

This Park gauge would do the job, but at £55 even with a bit knocked off it's a bit dear for occasional home use.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-derailleur-hanger-alignment-gauge-22?sku=546386&source=igodigital

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Which pad do they use, all my Shimano B01S are held by a split pin.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
As regards the gears, many hard to pin down gear change problems are caused by a slightly bent mech hanger.

Replacing that is worth a try, but the proper job is do that and then set the alignment using a workshop gauge.

The mechanic in my local bike shop told me even some brand new bikes benefit from a tweak.

This Park gauge would do the job, but at £55 even with a bit knocked off it's a bit dear for occasional home use.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-derailleur-hanger-alignment-gauge-22?sku=546386&source=igodigital
I might take it to the local bike shop, they might even show me the best way to do it

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Related Articles

Advertisers